Hurley's Gold

I am ready to pull the trigger on a reloading rig.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I have decided to get into reloading. I used to reload 357 mag in the 70's but I am sure things have changed. I am looking for a rig that will handle from 9mm to 500 mag for pistol and 223 rifle. I have been looking into it but with not much luck. I think I want a progressive rig. In one side parts, other side out a complete round. I am looking for some info from some of you pros. I am looking at a complete outfit from the start. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Looking at a medium to high end setup. Some ballpark numbers would be a good start.
    Capitol Armory ad

OldTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Texas
    I'd say the same. You can check the Dillon site for prices but it adds up fast when you start figuring the extras. And they have at least a 60-day delay in filling orders right now. I know you're not a complete newb at reloading but a progressive presents a lot of ways to screw up if you're not already fully aware of all the possible things that can go wrong. You might think about an RCBS RockChucker single stage to get rolling again while you wait on the Dillon. It's not like you won't need all the accessories later no matter which way you go (dies, powder scale, calipers, etc). And you'll always need a good single stage, especially if you want to load precision rifle loads.

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    Ok, i prefer the hornady ap lock n load over a dillon. Hornadys service is good and the machine is less plastic. I worked with a dillon 650 before, thing just felt mickey mouse in my opinion. Lots of people love them though.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Hmmmm.....I'm usin' a Dillon 650XL. It - and Dillon - ROCKS. Bought it used, there were a couple of pieces that were less than to my liking (more cosmetic than function issues). Called Dillon, told 'em what I needed and asked the guy what the total would be. "Sir, all I need is the address you want these parts shipped to - there is NO charge." I carefully re-explained that I'd bought the system used....didn't matter. No charge. I load 9mm, .380, .38, .357, .40, .45 - and yes, the 650 WILL reload .223. Found mine on craigslist - do an expanded search, put in to search for the past week only on craigslist.org - and if you're patient, you'll find one eventually. Paid $300 for mine from a guy in SA.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have used both Dillon and Hornady. I would suggest the Dillon personally.

That being said I feel that every reloader should have a single stage press. They come in very handy and can be found very easily right now.

If you go single stage or even turret you are looking at $300-$500 to start (press, extras, and componants). If you want to go progressive then double that.

Nobody makes an all inclusive kit. I have yet to see a kit that includes a tumbler, calipers, or componants so figure that stuff into your cost to get started.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    I suggest the Dillion 550b, can run it progressive or single stage style. Expensive but will last a lifetime. My Dillion setup was just over $500 without the strong mount, roller handle or bullet tray; I already had scales, calipers, reloading manuals, and a tumbler, add about $150 for these items.

Brian Enos has a lot of information on the Dillion presses as well as a large selection of presses, parts, accessories and what not.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've had terrific luck with customer service from Dillon and almost as good from RCBS. They stand behind their products! Dillon calls theirs a "NO BS WARRANTY" and they mean that!

My Dillons are sitting idle at the moment as I've been shooting 12 gauge shotguns recently. All I need to do is put a tool head in, change the shell plate, set the powder measure and I'm building bullets. The market can do it's crazy thing but I'm insulated from it. That, in itself, is makes my investment in reloading equipment worthwhile!

Flash

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    That should not be an issue thanks. What other cool shit should I get to go with it?

I posted about this on another thread.

Single = slower, more accurate, more quality

Turret = a little faster but a little accurate

Progressive = fastest and least accurate. If you go this route spend to get the best.

Sent knowing my life is boring unless I'm looking down range. And that most of you are jerks.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Powder scale, tumbler (I have 2), media separator, primer flipper/tray (I MUCH prefer the brass over the plastic), tumbler media, good calipers, inertia puller - that's a start at the basics. If you go on Dillon's website, they've got a pretty good "starter kit" IIRC. You can always use their kit components list to develop your own (some folks may prefer a particular brand or style over what their kit might have).

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    I posted about this on another thread.

Single = slower, more accurate, more quality

Turret = a little faster but a little accurate

Progressive = fastest and least accurate. If you go this route spend to get the best.

Sent knowing my life is boring unless I'm looking down range. And that most of you are jerks.

I agree to an extent. But my Dillon 550B is more accurate with powder drops (using W231 & WST) in 9mm and OAL than my Lee Classic Turret. For non-bullseye shooters, it is well within limits. Going for pure consistency, nothing beats a single stage press with a dedicated powder measure.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I agree to an extent. But my Dillon 550B is more accurate with powder drops (using W231 & WST) in 9mm and OAL than my Lee Classic Turret. For non-bullseye shooters, it is well within limits. Going for pure consistency, nothing beats a single stage press with a dedicated powder measure.

If you're doing a lot of pistol, go progressive absolutely.

BWHITT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Houston
    I would go progressive. Even if you start out only using one or two dies at a time until you get the feel for everything. Just take it slow and get a feel for every station on the press before you try to run with all five stations at the same time.

I used to own two Dillon 650’s and they are very nice. But also expensive to purchase and change out calibers as well. I run a progressive Hornady press with a case feeder and I like it a lot. Very reliable, well-built and has a lot of room for my big hands. Hornady is also a lot cheaper to purchase and change out calibers than Dillon. Both companies have excellent warranty’s as well. Horandy’s lock in load system makes turning your progressive press into a single stage press very easy. Just twist out the die’s you do not wish to use.

Both presses would do what you need them to. RCBS makes agood single stage rock chucker, but there progressive presses are not to my liking.

Top Bottom