• Status
    Not open for further replies.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I went into Brookshire Brothers this morning and I see Collins Street Baker Fruit Cake. It's a small one with no shelf tag or sign with price. I grab one simple because I really like it, especially if I rum or bourbon soak it. A slice of rum soaked with coffee with heavy cream & Kahlua is a great way to wake & bake.

I bought some other things Holmes pork & venison sausage, a couple Bon Mamen Preserves, Kosher salt & black pepper and deodorant. First thing the cashier says is you know how much that is? I told her I really don't care what it cost. Then she comes back with how everyone's bitching about how much they are. I had to reiterate that I really didn't care what it cost. I told her at my age if something makes me happy I buy it. I went on about nothing in the whole order is what it was under Trump, and she wants to see everything get higher vote Democrat again. That pissed her & the black chick that was acting as sacker, but was actually training the one checking. I get home & look the Fruit Cake was $40.00.

Nothing I hate more then when someone judges me as some broke ass piece of shit. I rememberers years ago taking the wife to Churrasco's in Montrose. We get seated & the waiter ask if I want a wine list or a cocktail. I told him bring me water I want to look at the menu & decide what I'm having & if I want a bottle of wine. I order appetizers while the wife is deciding. When he brings out the appetizer I order a bottle of wine with 1 glass. He brings it out & the wife orders then I order. He asks me if I know how much that is? I lit into him. I point out my Rolex telling him it worth more then he earns in 6 months, I tell him the pistol I'm wearing is more them he makes in a month or two & the knife I have (Microtech) is worth more then he takes home in a week. I go on about I order a $30.00 + bottle of wine for my self & yet you didn't question that, why know is what I want to eat an issue? Next thing I know I see one of the other waiters watching me rip this guy goes into the back. Out comes the manager while I'm still ripping this guy, and ask if there's a problem?

I tell the manager no one questioned me if I could afford to eat here when my wife & I were seated. The waiter doesn't have a problem with the appetizer or bottle of wine that I order. He doesn't question what the wife orders, but now he's questioning me if I can afford what I want to eat. The manager starts apologizing, tells the waiter wait for him in back. The manager most of asked the waiter WTF? I watch the waiter lave the restaurant & the manager ends up waiting on us. He comes back pours the last of the wine in my glass & ask if we will be having coffee & dessert? The wife gets dessert I pass on the coffee & dessert as I didn't want to harsh my buzz. Next thing I know the manager comps diner & I gave him $100.00 tip.
    Hurley's Gold

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I went into Brookshire Brothers this morning and I see Collins Street Baker Fruit Cake. It's a small one with no shelf tag or sign with price. I grab one simple because I really like it, especially if I rum or bourbon soak it. A slice of rum soaked with coffee with heavy cream & Kahlua is a great way to wake & bake.

I bought some other things Holmes pork & venison sausage, a couple Bon Mamen Preserves, Kosher salt & black pepper and deodorant. First thing the cashier says is you know how much that is? I told her I really don't care what it cost. Then she comes back with how everyone's bitching about how much they are. I had to reiterate that I really didn't care what it cost. I told her at my age if something makes me happy I buy it. I went on about nothing in the whole order is what it was under Trump, and she wants to see everything get higher vote Democrat again. That pissed her & the black chick that was acting as sacker, but was actually training the one checking. I get home & look the Fruit Cake was $40.00.

Nothing I hate more then when someone judges me as some broke ass piece of shit. I rememberers years ago taking the wife to Churrasco's in Montrose. We get seated & the waiter ask if I want a wine list or a cocktail. I told him bring me water I want to look at the menu & decide what I'm having & if I want a bottle of wine. I order appetizers while the wife is deciding. When he brings out the appetizer I order a bottle of wine with 1 glass. He brings it out & the wife orders then I order. He asks me if I know how much that is? I lit into him. I point out my Rolex telling him it worth more then he earns in 6 months, I tell him the pistol I'm wearing is more them he makes in a month or two & the knife I have (Microtech) is worth more then he takes home in a week. I go on about I order a $30.00 + bottle of wine for my self & yet you didn't question that, why know is what I want to eat an issue? Next thing I know I see one of the other waiters watching me rip this guy goes into the back. Out comes the manager while I'm still ripping this guy, and ask if there's a problem?

I tell the manager no one questioned me if I could afford to eat here when my wife & I were seated. The waiter doesn't have a problem with the appetizer or bottle of wine that I order. He doesn't question what the wife orders, but now he's questioning me if I can afford what I want to eat. The manager starts apologizing, tells the waiter wait for him in back. The manager most of asked the waiter WTF? I watch the waiter lave the restaurant & the manager ends up waiting on us. He comes back pours the last of the wine in my glass & ask if we will be having coffee & dessert? The wife gets dessert I pass on the coffee & dessert as I didn't want to harsh my buzz. Next thing I know the manager comps diner & I gave him $100.00 tip.
    She may have just been trying to be polite, as she had other customers complain (and probably put it back) due to the price.

No need to assume the worst.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Speaking of fruitcakes..........

dylan-mulvaney-jeffrey-marsh.gif

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

Here's the problem, you are a dick so assume everyone else is a dick too.

All I see is people trying to give you a heads up and you take it as an insult.

You only posted it here to tell us how you can afford a Rolex, a way overpriced fruitcake, and a fancy dinner. Add in the ability to talk down to those trying to help you and you just really show what an ass you are.

Most of what you post is just to brag about something. Hey, that's fine. You do you and I hope it fills the void.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    I mostly agree with @baboon. If I see something I want, I get it. It's not that I don't care about the cost, I do care, but if I want it, I want it. I very seldom look at the price. If it's something I want, I get it.

The wife and I don't go out to eat, or anywhere, much anymore. Since she took those damn covid vacs, she's had almost constant pain and weakness in her right leg, which she never had before..

I don't really thing @baboon is bragging when he post what he has. @Dawico you need to really pay more attention to what 'most' people post because they post about how many guns and ammo they have. They post , with pictures, their expensive guns, fancy cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc, etc.

If anyone gets a fruit cake and doesn't want it, I'll take it. I'm with @baboon on this.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    They should have had a price tag on it.
    But it had a barcode... :rolleyes:

Worked in a grocery store as a kid. Had to put price stamps or sticker on everything. And if prices went up and a customer found just one can still marked at the old (lower) price, you sold them as many as they wanted to buy at the old price regardless of the other cans having a higher price.

HPFlashman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2020
    Northwest Florida
    I like fruitcake. Don't want to spend $40 on one, though. But I would if I saw one that made my mouth water. Which they all do. There are better bargain's at yard sales, flea markets and the scratch & dent aisles of grocery stores. Recycle. Waste not, want not.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    She may have just been trying to be polite, as she had other customers complain (and probably put it back) due to the price.

If anything she just needs to be trained better IMHO. We all have heard "Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover"! If the price was that big of a deal then the price should have been on the product.

I spent 36 years a retail meat cutter & where I worked last if I said something along those lines I guarantee my ass would have been reprimanded. Mater of fact where I work customer theft was off the charts. Once they caught a customer walking out with all kinds of meat & seafood that I just filled the order on from both service cases. The assistant store director came back & started in on me about I should have known better. I pointed out that my job was to fill the request & not judge people. I also pointed out that perhaps she could get away with making such calls, but if I did I could very well be called a racist.

They very well might of had to return the product to its location, in my minds eye that's better then insinuating I could not afford it or am to stupid to be shopping there.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I never heard of it being soaked in booze either but I guess that's what makes it edible.
    I think most people who do not like fruit cake never had a good one. Collins Street Bakery is world famous for their fruit cake.

Interesting story is years back an employee was caught embezzling funds. There is a documentary about it. A crappy day like today you might as well watch it.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek

I bet that's it. I saw them at HEB and was shocked at how much they cost. I just BET folks were complaining.

Also, I have only heard great things about their cakes and expect they earn a premium. When all the other cakes on the shelf are around $12, it kinda grabs your attention.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Here's the problem, you are a dick so assume everyone else is a dick too.

All I see is people trying to give you a heads up and you take it as an insult.

You only posted it here to tell us how you can afford a Rolex, a way overpriced fruitcake, and a fancy dinner. Add in the ability to talk down to those trying to help you and you just really show what an ass you are.

Most of what you post is just to brag about something. Hey, that's fine. You do you and I hope it fills the void.
    Well bless your heart & eat a sack of dicks while your at it. I happen to like a few nice things in life & worked hard to have them. Apparently your insulted by my posts so heres a heads up to you go ahead & block my post.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If anything she just needs to be trained better IMHO. We all have heard "Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover"! If the price was that big of a deal then the price should have been on the product.

I spent 36 years a retail meat cutter & where I worked last if I said something along those lines I guarantee my ass would have been reprimanded. Mater of fact where I work customer theft was off the charts. Once they caught a customer walking out with all kinds of meat & seafood that I just filled the order on from both service cases. The assistant store director came back & started in on me about I should have known better. I pointed out that my job was to fill the request & not judge people. I also pointed out that perhaps she could get away with making such calls, but if I did I could very well be called a racist.

They very well might of had to return the product to its location, in my minds eye that's better then insinuating I could not afford it or am to stupid to be shopping there.
    Why do you think she was judging you? That is a wild assumption on your part and most likely an incorrect assumption.

I worked in a grocery store as a kid. If I had customers complaining about a bad surprise on a product (and probably being rude to me, which would not be unusual in the business from my experience), I might well be sure someone was aware.

Again, why assume the worst of someone else?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom