0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    UTSA May 2013 crime report
    17 thefts
    2 vehicle burglaries
    3 assaults
    13 drug arrests
    17 other crimes

UTSA PD does a good job of keeping the campus safe, but there are jackasses everywhere. Why not keep your self safer while on campus?

I am also a 26 year old graduate student and have yet to meet any one under 21 in my MBA courses.
    Gun Zone Deals

Randy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Austin
    This smells like a troll trying to gather information to be used as an argument later against campus carry.....hmmm....or my tin foil hat may be too tight today.....

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    As was stated before, and seems to be lost ... it's not just about the students. It's about EVERYONE on campus, which is students AND faculty. I know that as it stands at this moment, it's a pain when you work for a school because you can't take your firearm with you because you can't even leave it in the car. What good does that do when you have to leave it at home the majority of your time during the week? Absolutely none. Schools are nothing but a target rich environment for those wishing to do harm unabated. I, for one, would like that chance to protect myself and my students. I shouldn't have to depend on someone else to protect me. I can protect myself, IF given the chance. For me, we need to do away with the gun free zones in ALL schools, not just higher education.

All in all, gun laws in general need a major overhaul, but it's going to take steps at this point, and one step in the right direction, is another step upon many in the right direction.

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    Actually there were only two bills that furthered carry rights, Campus Carry and OC. The other pro-gun bills were just adjustments to the CHL process.

Mathematically incorrect. DPS publishes stats on CHL licenses issued and college age students are almost non-existent.

I went to Central Tx College, and the majority of the students were 30's and older. Most were using their GI bill to get an education. I now live about 3 blocks from Tarrant County College SE campus, and the majority of students there are older than the 18-21 perceived typical college age, I would say they look to be again 30's and older. The big state schools that typically have the fresh out of high school aged students make up a small percentage of colleges/universities. So I think campus carry would benefit many more people than you are looking at.

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    My experience is with UT Austin so I'll stick with it as my example.

A) there are a lot of people on campus:
    I think when I went there were 54,000 undergrads, another 12,000 graduate students and I imagine another 10,000 employees. And the campuses are not locked down.

2) UT has had gun incidents (tower shooting in the sixties) and suicide by cop guy just a couple years ago. Add to that the spree at VT still in our recent memory and this is the second step of legislation (parking lot storage) IIRC.

3) the Microsoft Effect: what I mean is while at UT Microsoft gave huge discounts for all of their products to students. Why? So they would become familiar and be ready to pay full price when they graduate to keep using what they use. If campus carry is approved, you can hopefully convince the next leaders the importance of carry. They will carry the torch next so let's get them on board and building good habits.

I think any effort to get the next generation on will be a great investment in the future.

Wiked

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    All in all, gun laws in general need a major overhaul, but it's going to take steps at this point, and one step in the right direction, is another step upon many in the right direction.

I agree that since guns at schools are at the forefront of mass media, it may be the best time to tackle the current issue.

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    Why at the expense of others? You get what you can when you can. I think there was enough momentum that would carry this one across the finish line and when you have a winner you ride it.

hoyeay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Confuzzled!

Even with campus carry, doesn't the school/campus have the choice to even allow/disallow? Seems pointless...

Douva

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Even with campus carry, doesn't the school/campus have the choice to even allow/disallow? Seems pointless...

You're kind of new to this issue--aren't you?

Google News desperately wants to be your friend.

TexasCajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Houston area
    During the regular session I received several calls-to-action when each of the gun bills went to committee. So to say that the TSRA was neglecting all other bills in favor of campus carry is a bit of a misrepresentation. I suspect the real goal of this fishing expedition thread is to reengage the open carry issue. You might want to be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.

Most chl holders wouldn't open carry for a variety of reasons. So making that a focus of a very limited legislative session is an expensive waste of political capital. The TSRA has rightly (in my opinion) chosen to forge a path where chl holders will gradually be granted the right to protect themselves in an expanding arena. In the long run, being able to carry in more places is more beneficial than adding one more method of carry.

The problem with open carry isn't open carry. This year, the problem has been the proponents of open carry. The chairman of the house homeland security & public safety committee was basically assaulted on his Facebook page by oc'ers to the point that he had to shut it down. Now maybe I just grew up in a different time & place, but I believe the smart way to ask somebody to do something for you is to ask nicely. The oc'ers demanded, threatened, and personally attacked the man. So they got the just desserts for their efforts. Maybe some lessons can be learned from all this.

So keep blaming the TSRA and the NRA for the shortcomings of a loud bunch within your own faction if you want to. But remember that a lot of folks that are way smarter than me have proven that insanity is defined as doing the same thing repeatedly while expecting different results.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    So you can ramble on, but do not want answers that are not based on facts you approve of? Yeah, I cannot seen through that.

Your question is invalid. Campus carry is but one topic, and but one bill.

Interesting thing about forums; you do not get to dictate the content or topic of answers.

I suspect you will not like it here. I also am suspect of your motives and actual beliefs.

Ignore.

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    Given the strategies you identify, I would like to understand what makes Campus Carry, specifically, the best salvo right now. From my perspective, the proportion of college students who can be spot-lighted as theoretical sympathetic supplicants is quite small, compared to the slavering hordes of statist-minded students who will and do insist they don't want Campus Carry, which does nothing for the strategies you identify.

There are no less than 5 words or phrases I would use in casual discussion. A couple I wouldn't use because I don't know what they mean.

And looking at your history (one post in another thread and then this thread) I have come to the conclusion you aren't a regular.

Smells like you want an argument more than convincing or justification. Why don't you get your affirmation of what should or should have happened by chatting with people that you chat with a little more regularly. You're just stirring the pot on a foreign board.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    There are no less than 5 words or phrases I would use in casual discussion. A couple I wouldn't use because I don't know what they mean.

And looking at your history (one post in another thread and then this thread) I have come to the conclusion you aren't a regular.

Smells like you want an argument more than convincing or justification. Why don't you get your affirmation of what should or should have happened by chatting with people that you chat with a little more regularly. You're just stirring the pot on a foreign board.

He's asking a valid question.

Simply, "why should Campus Carry be prioritized over other pro gun bills?"

He even said that he supports Campus Carry. I think there's a little culture clash that's clouding your judgment.

woodsong

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Katy
    Campus Carry isn't about students -- most students aren't old enough for a CHL. It's about faculty, staff, and parents who already legally carry but aren't allowed to bring their weapon on campus.

TaoJones1066

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Weatherford, TX
    Wow. How can we have freedom loving gun owners taking sides against each other on gun rights? Shall not be infringed! Carry on campus is important. Open carry is important. Both issues should be pushed by gun rights organizations.

OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX

Hopefully if Perry allows it to be discussed in a special session we will get a better law than the last bill.

That being said even the last bill was better than what we have now. That bill would have allowed the school to have its own policies, but it would have decriminalized concealed carry on campus.

I'd much rather knowingly violate school policy and get expelled if discovered than violate the law and become a felon.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Colleges are the largest criminal empowerment zone. Many thousands of adults work in Universities, and many seniors and grad students are licensed to carry.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rgomez5329
    Top Bottom