• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Ben, sounds like a great truck for Somebody. Problem is, your name isn't Somebody. Sell it and buy something else with the cash. No payment, just an even swap. Having such low mileage will help you sell it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ben, sounds like a great truck for Somebody. Problem is, your name isn't Somebody. Sell it and buy something else with the cash. No payment, just an even swap. Having such low mileage will help you sell it.
    This is an option. I drive it very little, just when I'm hauling something bulky or when I need to go over crappy roads. Thus, the mileage will stay low while I continue to do most of my driving in my Mercury Grand Marquis (which is more comfy, quicker, handles better, and has gotten up to 24 mpg on highway trips).

Something tells me the ultimate solution may be to sell the truck, install a tow hitch on the Mercury, and buy a small trailer. That would take care of the 3 or 4 times a year I *really* need to haul something. As for the bad roads, I can just drive slower. ;)

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    13 MPG in a V-6? Had a Lariat with 5.4 Triton V8 and it would get 20 on the highway. I figured the V6 would do better than that.

Doubt you ever saw 20mpg with a Ford Triton V8 (rolleyes). My 02' Lincoln 5.4L InTech gets (at best) 12.1 mpg but it is AWD with no option for 2WD.

For an underpowered V6 getting 13pmg and missing desired options I would sell it like the previous three owners did. Find something you like with a V8.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    That would solve the problem...if I was dedicated enough to make that kind of commitment. I'm not. ;)

lol That'll do it.

Honestly, I'd cut the ties and sell it. Be done with it. If you understand you won't get much, but you will get it gone and are ok with that, you will be much happier with a vehicle that will work for you. No use keeping it "just in case", only to pay money for maintenance, insurance, registration and inspection every year if it doesn't serve a good purpose.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    If you are using that truck for a daily driver, you need to get rid of it quick, but not for the reasons already presented. Reasonable low mileage vehicles are great. Ultra low mileage vehicles are not. Think about it. You have a truck that has only been driven 3000 miles a year for all of its life. The truck is used to that and expects that. If you start driving that truck 3000 miles every couple of months, it will fall apart on you. It is not used to the heat, the stress, the constant driving that you are giving it now. The engine won't like it's new life, nor will the transmission, the cooling system, the wheel bearings, the AC, or anything. You will,have coil packs failing, seals start leaking, suspension issues, etc. if you are going to use it as a weekend only truck, that would be different. Whomever owned that truck originally, set it up for its life by driving the way they did. If you keep that same driving style, the truck will last a lifetime. If you change it much it will become a nightmare. I've been in the automotive world for all my life and have seen it happen over and over on everything from Chevrolet to mercedes Benz. Ultra low mileage are to avoided unless you plan on keeping them ultra low mileage.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    no way you can buy a vehicle with payments and make up for it in gas savings in a reasonable amount of time

that truck should get better mileage unless the rear end gear is short

you might look at the fuel injectors and clean the MAP/MAF sensors.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Ultra low mileage are to avoided unless you plan on keeping them ultra low mileage.

This gross overgeneralization is just plain wrong. My first car was 10 years old and came from a carpeted garage with 24,000 miles on it. I put another 120K on it without a single major maintenance issue, and the motor was as quiet as a sewing machine when I sold it. Current car came to me at 12,269 after 6 years. It's at almost 60K now, and again, no major issues.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Doubt you ever saw 20mpg with a Ford Triton V8 (rolleyes). My 02' Lincoln 5.4L InTech gets (at best) 12.1 mpg but it is AWD with no option for 2WD.

For an underpowered V6 getting 13pmg and missing desired options I would sell it like the previous three owners did. Find something you like with a V8.

Don't give a shit if you doubt 20mpg! Just stating a fact jack!

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    This is an option. I drive it very little, just when I'm hauling something bulky or when I need to go over crappy roads. Thus, the mileage will stay low while I continue to do most of my driving in my Mercury Grand Marquis (which is more comfy, quicker, handles better, and has gotten up to 24 mpg on highway trips).

Something tells me the ultimate solution may be to sell the truck, install a tow hitch on the Mercury, and buy a small trailer. That would take care of the 3 or 4 times a year I *really* need to haul something. As for the bad roads, I can just drive slower. ;)
    Think about this, if the Merc breaks down you have a backup vehicle to drive. You'll look ridiculous trying to drive a trailer :p

With as little as you drive it if it's not a financial strain otherwise, I say keep it.

Last edited:

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    I had a '97 and a '05 F150 and neither of them got gas milage that bad. The 2005 was a super crew at that. You got the V6 and I was told that it got worse milage than the small 8 which is what I had so you may be stuck with that. As for the cruise, there are after market systems that can be bolted on.

On the highway you should expect about 18 Mpg if you keep your foot out of the peddle.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Don't give a shit if you doubt 20mpg! Just stating a fact jack!

Did a little more checking and the "estimated" claims on the 4.6 were 19 hwy. Worse on the 5.4 to 17 hwy. In town 13 14.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Ben,
    If you want to sell it, let me know.
    My '98 has 198, 000 miles on it.
    It is a plain vanilla, 4x4 with the v6.

My idea of usual driving and the owners of your truck are likely very different.
    20 miles one way with 3 stop signs is usual for me. I get around 16 mpg on average.

Same goes for my 2011 GMC, v8, 6 speed auto, z71.

Your truck is as good as any truck for your needs. I could be wrong.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Did a little more checking and the "estimated" claims on the 4.6 were 19 hwy. Worse on the 5.4 to 17 hwy. In town 13 14.

No estimate.......flat land from Longview to Rockport........55-65 MPH average due to roads traveled and got 20 every trip. Always in November and no AC needed.

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    At work I drive an '04 F140 extended cab 5.4L V8 with 183k miles and it still gets 20 on the highway and 80% of the miles is pulling enclosed steel trailers. I drive it on personal time any chance I get because it does a whole lot better than the '93 F150 5.0L I've been driving.

If it sat a long time with shitty, I mean Wonderful Goverment approved ethonal gas then change the fuel filter and run a few tank fulls of sea foam. If you wanna see what ethanol does to fuel filters than fill one up and just let it sit for a good while. Also you may need to check all the rubber fuel lines. If they don't have an inner liner than there's a chance they're being dissolved from the inside. I put new fuel lines (non-lined) when I did my engine swap 4 or so years ago. Replaced my fuel filter at the beginning of this summer and when I pulled the lines off, black was mixed with the fuel that spilled out. Guess that'll go on the to-do list.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom