• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Yeah, so . . . I'm 25, in the second half of my 3rd year of medical school . . . . and I have no idea what I want to do with my life. You might think, "Your going to be a doctor, you've already made the hard decisions!" Wrong. The number and variety of jobs avalable to MD's is incredible. I know MD's that work anywhere from 40 hours/week to consistently over 110 hours a week. Ones that make 80k and others that make well over 600k.

I want to be a husband to my wife (and a father when I have children). I'd be lying to you if I said money wasn't important, but it is less important. My wife is a professional saver (only to be topped by my mother in law). I'm going to be fine financially, more so than many of my collegues who are probably going to make much more. (its one of those spending much less than you make kind of thing). I may not be able to afford the huge hunting ranch:rolleyes:, but maybe a smaller one.

I have interest in Neurology (more of a medicine area) and Othopedics (aint no medicine here. hammers and nails). I think I might like PM&R (a less known specialty that involves anything from pain managment to stroke rehabilitation but havn't worked directly with any physiatrists.

First two years of medical schools are largly didactic. Starting. Very limited clinical experience. Third year (this year) is where you start your clincal immersion. I feel like they didn't teach us much those first two years (they taught us a lot, its just no one tells you so much about the medical profession. Like the hiarchical structure (3rd years are at the bottom, btw), the difference between good nurses and terrible nurses, the difference between an IJ and an EJ, and the importance of putting everyone on Vanc and Zosyn (inside joke. . .sorry).

Then you look at competativeness. Residency programs largely use the STEP scores, exams full of obscure and largely unimportant clinical data that have little ability in predicting clinical abilities to create a bell curve out of a group of largely very motivated and intelligent people. The number of US medical students as increased dramatically pretty recently. Residency programs have not, which has made them much more competative, particularly in surgical subspecialties (like ortho).

long story short, I've gone through most of my third year, I have to decide very soon what I want to do with the rest of my life. Nothing I have done has given me any "ahah! moments." The rest of 3rd year is going to be very busy and I really don't have much, if any time to look at other specialties before I have to make decisions.
    Capitol Armory ad

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would think long and hard about what you enjoy, and then take steps to move in that direction. It may not come with the first job, it may be years down the road, but keep moving in the direction of your dreams, and with enough hard work and dedication it will come.

Congrats on where you've gotten in medical school so far. I have a friend that should be just about done with medical school, and having talked to her many times in the past about it, I know how time-consuming and tedious it can be.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I would think long and hard about what you enjoy, and then take steps to move in that direction. It may not come with the first job, it may be years down the road, but keep moving in the direction of your dreams, and with enough hard work and dedication it will come.

Absolutely concur ... I would put yourself in as many situations and avenues as possible with an open mind. Volunteer, observe, aide, and/or become an intern. Really get out there and put yourself in the job. That's the only way you'll know that you truly want to be a part of it.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Don't give up now, keep going, then go military, get your education bills paid off, a retirement at 45 and a great life left to do what you want. I passed up on west point back in 71 when offered and did my three years, I can't go back but imagine the differnce that would have made.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Wow, I wish I had your choices! But then again, I also wish I was still 25!

I know you are just looking for opinions, and that the choice will ultimately be yours; but my experience is that you should work to live, not live to work. I came to that conclusion when our first child was born, I was a diehard military careerist looking for opportunities of adventure and promotion. That all came to a screaming stop when I became a father, my priorities did a serious 360°! I still loved my job and worked hard at it, but it was no longer my number one priority. I called it a day because of family matters, and I don't regret that one bit because in the long run these are the people that will love and miss me when I'm gone. I made great friends in the military, but none come close to my family.

I'd recommend sitting down and talking through this with your wife, it's her life too and you both have to agree on your course of action. Then once you have come to an agreement, then pursue it with all your heart!

Best of luck to you, both now and in the future!

Cheers! M2

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Talk with your wife, take a small note book with you as you go through the day and make notes about the things that overwhelm you, inspire you or make you feel good or bad. Note the people who impress you either with their skills or passion for their work. Talk with your instructors, preceptors and fellow students. Choose what feels best and fits in with your family choices/requirements. Then always remember, life is about living, doing and growing. You can always change or shift gears in the future should you find that your skills and abilities move you in a different direction than you originally chose.

The only stupid choice would be to say I WILL BE XXX and then fight with yourself / family / etc to stay that course. For now, I believe I would make an Excellent XXX, would be a far better option.

Good luck on your future, it will be interesting

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    if it were me - i'd remind myself why i went into medicine in the first place

if you went in it for the money - then go after the specialty.......if you went in it for other reasons, then consider your other options.

whatever you do - involve your family in your decisions

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    My only advice is do your research and ask yourself if you want to do that for the next 20+ years.

My personal method would be the following:
    1) Have three columns with: Specialty/Area and $$ and Hours
    2) Sort on $$ (High to low)
    3) Go down the sheet until you get to an hours # you can live with

You may also research options that allow you to work more now to save up $$ and then reduce time later when you start having kids.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You have been given great advice in this thread, so I want to take a different approach. I applaud you. I find that generally, those now your age seem to lack focus, ambition and a grasp on reality. I find those your age behaving as my generation did at 18. The fact that your future concerns you and the manner in which you presented yourself here tells me you are going to be one successful man.

Best of luck to you.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    See some of the world before the kids come along. You deserve to relax a little when you complete your studies. Some of my best memories are meandering through France and Germany, taking me where the winds blow. Not having a travel agenda and being flexible will allow you see things that you will cherish forever. Sharing it with your wife is even better.

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    You sound like a level headed man and I would bet that you will make the right choice when the time comes, by the way I understand your inside joke somewhat my wife just finished 20 days of vancomycin for a line infection in a hick man port for her tpn she has short bowl syndrome, we do need good doctors for people with intestine problems like my wife has. Sometimes I wish I had gone to medical school. I have had to learn more about internal medicine than I ever wanted to in the last four years. You hang in there and make a good doctor with obamacare we are sure as he'll gona need them.

Top Bottom