• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • l3git

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Arlington
    My wife and I just bought a house outaide the city limits near Venus and have lived here just over a week, before this we lived on a second floor apt(only been married 2 years). Anyways im watching TV, she is laying in bed trying to sleep and she calls my name sounding rather alarmed, I go in the room and she says she thinks she saw someone walk passed our bedroom window. Of course it's at that moment I realize most of my guns and ammo are packed still and my carry gun is still locked in my car.... I also realize that I really should've set aside some time to teach my wife how to use a revolver/shotgun(only guns I could get to easily without unpacking). Anyways I take her with me to get the guns and try to scrounge enough ammo to do anything with, when I pull out my revolver she askes "what am I supposed to do with the 1920's gun?". I then go over a very quick crash course of how to load and use the gun and start trying to get some more light outside(not many lights out here and mine were off). Never found/saw anyone but I'm still on edge.

Long long story short, I was unprepared, I need to set aside time ti teach my wife, my lighting sucks and I may need to make that a priority to fix, annnnnd I need a gun safe to unpack my guns into... feeling really unprepared and lame for not spending more time with my wife around guns.
    Sorry for the long story but I figured details would help if people wanted to offer advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Guns International

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Nothing to feel lame about, IMO. You just moved into a new home, got a bit of a scare, and you were caught off-guard because things were not all in place yet. As long as you've identified the improvement opportunities and have a plan to address them, you'll come out ahead and be better prepared the next time the cat walks across your window sill. ;)

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Might want to invest in some motion-detector lights for the outside. Plant some nasty, thorny bushes around the bedroom windows. Pyracantha is particularly nasty and will prevent anyone from hanging out there.

You don't say what caliber pistol you have, but if you expect your wife to learn to use one quickly, you need a light caliber. .38 Specials work well down-range and are pretty light to shoot. Another option is a Taurus Judge. The .45 Long Colt in a pistol with a heavy cylinder has very light recoil and yet is a pretty good cartridge.

l3git

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Arlington
    Might want to invest in some motion-detector lights for the outside. Plant some nasty, thorny bushes around the bedroom windows. Pyracantha is particularly nasty and will prevent anyone from hanging out there.

You don't say what caliber pistol you have, but if you expect your wife to learn to use one quickly, you need a light caliber. .38 Specials work well down-range and are pretty light to shoot. Another option is a Taurus Judge. The .45 Long Colt in a pistol with a heavy cylinder has very light recoil and yet is a pretty good cartridge.

Definitely looking inti the motion lights, will start looking for some bushes too haha.

I have a 357/38, 40, and a 9. The 357 is the 5" barrel revolver. No recoil at all but pretty heavy.

kfc903

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Waco, TX
    I would look into an alarm system. Window stickers and a yard sign are a good deterrent. I have recently acquired one, and when I'm home, I set it on "no delay." So, if a window breaks, door gets opened, etc, I'll know immediately. I also carry while at home, so I won't have to retrieve a gun if I were to need one.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    ABC Always Be Carrying I have gotten so used to carrying my SP101 I only have to remember to lock it up when using air travel or into a lace I know I can't carry. Find a sweet pocket gun.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I would look into an alarm system. Window stickers and a yard sign are a good deterrent. I have recently acquired one, and when I'm home, I set it on "no delay." So, if a window breaks, door gets opened, etc, I'll know immediately. I also carry while at home, so I won't have to retrieve a gun if I were to need one.

I kinda freaked this poor alarm sales guy once, kinda had to chuckle afterwards but I feel for the kid. He's trying to run his spiel, and he asks if I have an alarm system. I politely reply that it's really none of his business, but yes I do - "didn't you hear the entry alert when I opened the door?" It clicks, he nods, and continues "but you don't have any yard signs. What if someone sees that and tries to break in?" I paused, smiled, and said "well then it'd certainly be a bad day for him." That's when he notices one of my hands is not visible ;) He assumed I was holding a weapon just out of view, which I wasn't, but I could literally see the thoughts running through this kid's head from the expression on his face. He finished up and left pretty quickly.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    not lame, but ya caught blinkin, no harm no foul. Now make those first things you unpack now..
    game gear up and runnin, be safe,, looks like momma will take more intrest now!!!
    good thing.. never can have enough cover fire

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    The lesson was easy this time. So, take it, make your changes and be prepared in future.

I like that comment "what am I supposed to do with the 1920's gun?" LOL Goes to show your wife has some expectations. ;) But that's a good thing.

Get to it, learning, securing and unpacking n your new place. I echo the comments about investing in some security lights. Remember, security is about layers. There is not just one thing that is a be all end all. Find out what you can do in your place and do it.

l3git

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Arlington
    Talking to a buddy/master electrician, hes going tobhelo me wire my house for lighting and a security system(not police monitored, just cameras) so that's my first steo along with getting a gun safe tonight

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Get a double barreled shotgun and a balcony and you should be gtg!!!! :rolleyes:

Good post, it's another reminder of a something I need to do for my wife as well. I don't think I could live with myself if something happened and she was just feet away from a solution but because she lacked the knowledge and familiarity, she was unable to use it properly or at all.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Look at that event as a learning opportunity. Make a list of what you did wrong and where could you have increased your security then make a plan to correct your deficiencies. When my wife and I first moved into our new house, we were vulnerable too, since then we've added 8' fences around the entire backyard, a dog, motion sensor activated lights, an alarm system, security cameras with a DVR and I've trained my wife in the usage of all my firearms and she now has a CHL. Further, we talk about various scenarios on a regular basis to keep an alert "attitude" at all times and not just in the home, when we're out and about too.

l3git

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Arlington
    A little advice, I suggest having someone else teach your wife. Seriously. It'll stress your marriage a lot less.

My brother in law is gunna help(used to teach Marines) i think itll go a lot smoother

Top Bottom