I found a pawn shop shotgun. Is it a yes or a no?

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Big country, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I found a Remington 870 Magnum Express in the pawn shop yesterday, it has the birdy barrel but it's all black synthetic furniture, it has a little rusty like dust on it and it needs to be cleaned. The price is $189.99, he said they could probably knock the tax off and make it a solid $189.99. If I do buy this one I'll need to get a short barrel for $99.99 (out of midway) it's a mossberg barrel but it's for an 870 and I'll wind up getting at least a 2 shell tube extension (I'm unsure of the price on that). So, is it worth it to buy this 870 ME from the pawn shop that will cost me at least $289.99 without tax and shipping for the new barrel or just buy a new on for almost the same price? I'm thinking the new mossberg would be cheaper in the long run and just as good.
    mossberg persuader- http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa.../shotguns&start=0&selectedSKU=0350-01883-0411
    870 HD- not found on Academy's web site
    Source- http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...ts/outdoors/hunting/firearms/shotguns&start=0
    I'm going to GT's to see what they might have new or on the "trade in rack" tonight.

2. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
  3. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    That thing is cool, but I think I can't spend that much. LOL

4. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Question: Why couldnt you just cut down the barrel on the Remington 870 Magnum Express? Thats what I did on my winchester 1300. I got it from the pawn shop for $150 in almost new condition. I looked at a 18" barrel and it was almost as much as the shotgun. Unless this shotgun is a show piece?

5. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    No showpiece but I don't want to have a cut barrel if I have to use it because I'm sure a DA would do weird things with the story. And I can't get as many shells with out buying the tube extension. And I don't want to ruin a good barrel with screw in chokes.

6. Stangfan93

Stangfan93 Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    I had intentions of doing the exact same thing. Find a cheap Remginton 870 to make into a great home defense shotgun. I looked and looked and search high and low but could not for the life of me find the 870 deal of a lifetime. They were beat to heck and still wanted $200 or they were brand new looking the store wanted $250. So, I found it more feasible for me to just go and buy the gun I want from Carters Country. 18" Barrel, 2 shot extension and I think its $350. I haven't bought it yet but I bought my g/f the 20ga version and I think that was $350. We live together so I don't need to get me one since I "have" hers.

I say save yourself time and money and buy the thing brang new.

7. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I have a fairly new mossy I want to dump for $175. Fired 25 shells through it. I've been too lazy to list it.

8. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    :icon_popcorn:

9. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I just put a post on the "new shotgun" thread about the mossy. LOL! Is it the HD with the short barrel and a 6 shot? I might be interested.

10. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

It's the HD, 2+1. Better luck for both of us next time :p

When I get around to listing it, I'll toss in a nylon Gander Mountain case, deliver it as far as Austin, stock, and a pistol grip.