• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    Try not to care too much where her shots hit the target. To us there is a social aspect of doing hobby activities with our husbands. Maybe she just wants to hang out with you more and shooting is her avenue to do that. It ruins it if there is a hint of competition. Like someone else said, her reasons for shooting may be different than yours. I recommend private instruction as well. Teaching is a skill unto itself, which you may not have. Next time, when you are at the range together just stand next to her when she is shooting and refrain from offering advice unless specifically asked.

She may be very self conscious and not want to admit it to you. There are likely not very many other women at the range. Going over things at home helps. Explain the "why" of what you do and not what she should do. That way it comes off as talking about your experience and not giving unsolicited advice or criticism. Regarding post 8, use the word instructor, not "professional help". Communication is harder when the stakes are high.

I like post 19. I asked my hubby for a Buckmark .22 and was DENIED! I see from time to time in this forum where you guys have wanted a gun and your wife refuses or gives you a hard time about it. I now know how you feel. He gave me a hard time when I wanted a range bag. A freakin' range bag! I don't get that. I eventually put my foot down and said I will get a range bag and we will own more than one gun!

It occurs to me as I type this and spend time on TGT that I too go to you guys on TGT for your advice and opinions but not my husband so much. So I guess I am also guilty of learning better from others than my spouse. What do you all think?
    Capitol Armory ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It occurs to me as I type this and spend time on TGT that I too go to you guys on TGT for your advice and opinions but not my husband so much. So I guess I am also guilty of learning better from others than my spouse. What do you all think?

There's nothing wrong with asking other people for help, but involving your husband will fulfill his side of the bargain as well.

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    There's nothing wrong with asking other people for help, but involving your husband will fulfill his side of the bargain as well.

He has not been shooting much since he was a kid, so he feels new to this as well. I try to be respectful, but I don't want a blind leading the blind situation. Besides, it sounds like younggun does not have this issue where both wife/husband are newbies.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Had a little talk with her an admitted faults I may have made, ...
    That's it, NEVER take responsibility!!

Seriously, post #14 looks much improved over OP. I can now see where were SOME outside training may be good for both but working together is (should be) the best part of a marriage, no matter the project.

Elbe makes some good points in the 1st two paragraphs of post #22, but that 3rd paragraph left me befuddled. Strange doo doo there.

Last and least: Texasjack, thanks for reminding me how great it is not to have a ball n chain.

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    That's it, NEVER take responsibility!!

Seriously, post #14 looks much improved over OP. I can now see where were SOME outside training may be good for both but working together is (should be) the best part of a marriage, no matter the project.

Elbe makes some good points in the 1st two paragraphs of post #22, but that 3rd paragraph left me befuddled. Strange doo doo there.

Last and least: Texasjack, thanks for reminding me how great it is not to have a ball n chain.

What befuddles you?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    You being "DENIED" a gun of your choosing and a range bag.

Hey, lookie here Elbe: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/guns-sale/31701-sell-trade-browning-buckmark-22-a.html#post387786

Don't know the guy just happened to see the thread Lol
    My impression is he's a good guy and feedback score is 100% positive.

ETA:

I eventually put my foot down and said I will get a range bag and we will own more than one gun!

I should have continued by saying I applaud your final statement in paragraph 3.

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    Awwww... your applauding me, how sweet. Thanks.

Seriously, I did see that add, but he is too far away. Eventually I will get a .22 for practice and something higher to actually stop a BG.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Don't take this the wrong way but it does not sound like you are teaching her. You are telling her what to do.

Explain some of the principles involved and let her draw her on conclusions. Get her to get to a conclusion, not you tell her what she is doing wrong.

When it comes to comfort on grip of the gun, perhaps its not the right gun. Get a 22 that is comfortable. Let her start with that, then build up to a higher caliber.

Good advice. If she flinches, get her a gun she won't flinch with. I started all my kids on either a 22 or a 17HMR rifle. You have to let them get comfortable shooting, and get their techinique correct first. Then move to something bigger. Set her up for success.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I wish I had the problem. My wife is a better shot than I am. We used to shoot with a couple of buddies. One of them told me to leave her at home, or he wasn't coming any more. lol He was not kidding. Some guys have a problem getting out-shot by a ditzy blond.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    So ... you're calling your wife a ditzy blond?
    You must have a very comfy couch.

Let the crybaby shoot alone. A good shooter is a good shooter. Age, race, sex, makes no difference to me.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    My wife has only gone shooting with me a few times. She shot better than me with a scoped rifle one stinkin' time and I still hear about it

Edit: by one time, I literally mean one grouping

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    So ... you're calling your wife a ditzy blond?
    You must have a very comfy couch.

Let the crybaby shoot alone. A good shooter is a good shooter. Age, race, sex, makes no difference to me.

She is a ditzy blond. lol. Think of every Cali stereotype for a chick, and she's most of it: blond, big boobs, tanned, always with her makeup on & hair done, clueless on so many topics ("what was that whole Iraq war thing about?"), wild sex kitten, always ready for a party. She also happened to have several brothers, and can shoot like crazy.

And for the record, I have NEVER slept on my couch because of a fight with her. Its called scene control brother. lol

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not sure why anyone would have a problem shooting with someone better than them, man or woman. It's an oppertunity to study their technique and possibly improve yourself.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Not sure why anyone would have a problem shooting with someone better than them, man or woman. It's an oppertunity to study their technique and possibly improve yourself.

I agree. My buddy was a better shot than me, but he showed me gun-fu. Now I am crowding up against his abilities forcing him to the next level.

Top Bottom