• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    I still have a few years left until my UT CCW expires. As a new TX resident, will my current UT CCW still be valid here?

If not...

Any recommendations on where to take a TX CHL around Tyler?

Sorry if this question has been asked before. Thanks!
    ARJ Defense ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Welcome to Texas and the forums. I highly recommend getting a TX CHL even if yours is still valid. It should save you hassle from local LEOs who are not sure of reciprocity.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I still have a few years left until my UT CCW expires. As a new TX resident, will my current UT CCW still be valid here?

Sorry if this question has been asked before. Thanks!

Your Utah License is good here as long as it remains valid.

Please google Texas Penal Code section 46.02 for our unlawful carry law. Our authority to carry in spite of 46.02 comes from 46.15 (b).

You should also read 46.03, 46.035 specifically, as well as 30.06 and 42.01 (I believe it is (a)(8).

Our use of force laws are in chapter 9.

Welcome to Texas.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I don't know for sure, but I'll throw this out there for others to comment on or for you to check out. Utah offers both a resident and non-resident license. If you become a resident of Texas, you may need to change your Utah license to non-resident status to cover the bases.

Bodie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Tyler
    Al, I live in Tyler and the only permit I have is a Non-resident Utah license. It is good here.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    I actually found this not too long ago, and planned on talking to him about it - familygunfun

He teaches the Utah course here in Denton, TX and seems convinced it's a better course, and also less time, money, and hassle compared to the Texas permit process.

Bodie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Tyler
    That is who I used to get my permit. He teaches both Utah and Texas gun law in the course so that you are aware of the differences between the two.

sbrenner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Texas, USA
    If a Texas resident you have 30 days to change your Drivers License. Auto registration and insurance.

You should get a Texas CHL.

I teach the CHL in San Antonio.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    If you become a resident of Texas, you may need to change your Utah license to non-resident status to cover the bases.

I've contacted UT BCI and notified my address change. They updated my information on their computers, but I'll have to surrender my UT CCW permit for them to make the address change. I won't have a CCW for awhile. :(

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I've contacted UT BCI and notified my address change. They updated my information on their computers, but I'll have to surrender my UT CCW permit for them to make the address change. I won't have a CCW for awhile. :(

That doesn't seem right, but then again, neither does most government policies. Seems like they should have just been able to swap you over to a non-resident permit and be done with it.

Top Bottom