Military Camp

I inherited a Winchester Model 24 12ga and brought it home a few weeks ago.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It was my great grandfathers shotgun. I've seen it up on the wall every time I've visited my whole life and I finally got to bring it home for some TLC and probably a little bird hunting. It has 26 inch barrels with cylinder bore and modified chokes. It is in pretty good shape, very good functionally and it locks up tight. It has a little patina on some of the parts and I've polished the bores a little as they had a little rust at the end. I cannot get it all out but I think that applying oil every so often should be fine. Anyway, here are some pictures:

img1354j.jpg

The fat receiver. It's striker fired and not a concealed hammer mechanism, which is pretty neat.
    img1356w.jpg

img1357v.jpg

2 3/4" chamber, so it can use common shells
    img1358b.jpg

With the fore-end off to see the choke sizes
    img1360r.jpg

What's left of the rust in the bore, you really can't feel it with your finger so it should be OK.
    img1368c.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    You might want to get a can of "Barricade". It's pretty good at stopping rust.

Before plastic shotgun shells, they used thick waxed paper. The wax helped keep the bore from rusting.

Everybody drools over some really tooled wall-hanger, but I think a gun that's seen real use like this one is far cooler.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm taking it to a 'smith tomorrow to have that looked at. Hopefully it can be honed out but we'll see. I can keep the rust from getting worse if nothing else can be done.

Mikey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    San Antonio
    I have the same shotgun- mine was made in 1948. I've owned it for about 13 years now and put a bunch of rounds through it. It's a great bird gun.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The 'smith told me it was going to be pretty easy to get the bores cleaned up. In a few weeks I should have it back.

I need to pull my gun-stock cleaning supplies out of my closet and really get the wood clean after I have it back.

Alamo Ann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    DeSoto, Dallas County, TX
    As a Winchester collector myself let me say- wooooooooooooooooohoo cowboy!
    Get that baby to the "doc"; cherish it; and know you have an excellent investment item there that steadily appreciates in value as time goes by!
    Beautiful!!!!
    Congratulations!

John Chambers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Round Rock
    Very nice! Take it hunting, don't let that fine weapon go to waste. I started using my Grandfather's Parker doiuble to hunt 2 years ago and it adds a nice feeling to an already great experience.

Top Bottom