Venture Surplus ad

I know this has been brought up before, but... (San Antonio topic)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Exactly what constitutes a 'legal knife' in the city of San Antonio?

I've got an automatic folding Gerber knife with a locking blade that was issued to me in Iraq that I'd love to carry around with me, but I don't think it's legal unless I'm in uniform.
    Target Sports

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Sec. 21-17. - Certain knives prohibited generally; exceptions; penalty for violation.
    (a)It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5½) inches in length, which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife.
    (b)The above prohibition set forth in subsection (a) shall not be applicable to a person carrying such a knife:
    (1)In the actual discharge of his duties as a peace officer, a member of the armed forces or national guard, or a guard employed by a penal institution;
    (2)On his own premises or premises under his control;
    (3)Traveling;
    (4)Engaged in lawful hunting, fishing or other lawful sporting activity; or
    (5)Using such a knife in connection with a lawful occupation, during such utilization.

Like, what the heck does that even mean, in the bold? Cuz the way it's written it almost reads like a "just kidding!" statement. Like if you're not breaking any laws with you knife then it's okay to be using it...

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Like, what the heck does that even mean, in the bold? Cuz the way it's written it almost reads like a "just kidding!" statement. Like if you're not breaking any laws with you knife then it's okay to be using it...

I've been told on the internet it's only tacked on if you broke other laws. The internet never lies, LOL.

I thought we had some SA po-pos around here?

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Well, I think the locking mechanism for the automatic blade is a show stopper, too. Plus I think the blade is only like 3.5" to 4" long. It's like a perfect knife, too. Bleh. Does anyone have some S.A. legal knife recommendations?

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    It was pointed out by TXI that if you have a folding blade knife over five and one-half inches you are in violation of TX law. If you have a folding blade knife under five and one-half inches you violate SA law.

See the loophole?

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    (5)Using such a knife in connection with a lawful occupation, during such utilization.

Cheff at a restaurant? Butcher? Any occupation where a blade is needed that long. I just remembered the following...

With your CHL and a handgun you can carry a knife with a blade over five and one-half inches.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    What prevents you from carrying a handgun, illegal knife or club:
    § 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits
    an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on
    or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.
    Illegal Knife Defined:
    (6) "Illegal knife" means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
    (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear.
    Oh no what do we do? It's unlawful to carry things we like to carry around, calm down, there are exemptions.
    Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY. (a) Sections 46.02 and 46.03 do not apply to:
    bla bla bla <-Cut out a bunch of stuff ->
    (6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun of the same category as the handgun the person is carrying;

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hehe

time to go pickup on of these ...
    PB1-0ss.jpg

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Since Knifes are mentioned in the weapons code of chapter 46, and Texas weapons "chapter 46" are protected by Preemption of Law, wouldnt that make the SA "rules" not worth the paper there wrote on?
    Seriously, WTF is wrong with them SA city folk?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Well, I think the locking mechanism for the automatic blade is a show stopper, too. Plus I think the blade is only like 3.5" to 4" long. It's like a perfect knife, too. Bleh. Does anyone have some S.A. legal knife recommendations?

Automatic knives are illegal in Texas, even to possess. I wouldn't want to get caught carrying one anywhere in the State.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    It was pointed out by TXI that if you have a fixed blade knife over five and one-half inches you are in violation of TX law. If you have a fixed blade knife under five and one-half inches you violate SA law.

This is incorrect. A fixed blade knife under 5.5 inches is legal to carry in SA. The city ordinance prohibits folding knives that lock with blades under 5.5.

Top Bottom