Target Sports

I know this has been brought up before, but... (San Antonio topic)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Fuel for the fire.. So if I carry a plug of tobacco and smear a little on the blade of my locking 5" folder would it be considered legal as I am using it for a legitimate and legal purpose?

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    ah hah! or a block of wood in your back pocket that you ocassionally whittle

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    When mission requirements dictate as such. :)
    emoticon_thumbsup.gif

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Everybody here just basically ignores this law. I'm a fairly observant guy and tend to notice knife clips hanging out of pockets. There are a ton of them here in SA. It's one of those laws that would be a nightmare if they actually tried to enforce it.

ETA: Wait a minute... I just re-read that section.

It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5½) inches in length, which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife.

Huh? It's still a folding knife, you just have to release the lock. It sounds more like they're banning knives with locks that can't be unlocked.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Nope, technically it's any folding knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5½) inches in length that can be locked; but like you said it's rarely enforced as a single charge...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It has a traveling exemption man.

Yep:

Sec. 21-17. - Certain knives prohibited generally; exceptions; penalty for violation.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5½) inches in length, which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife.
    (b) The above prohibition set forth in subsection (a) shall not be applicable to a person carrying such a knife:
    (1) In the actual discharge of his duties as a peace officer, a member of the armed forces or national guard, or a guard employed by a penal institution;
    (2) On his own premises or premises under his control;
    (3) Traveling;
    (4) Engaged in lawful hunting, fishing or other lawful sporting activity; or
    (5) Using such a knife in connection with a lawful occupation, during such utilization.
    (Code 1959, § 26-28.1)​
    Cross reference— Regulation of firearms and weapons, § 21-151 et seq.; possession of a knife, § 21-155.​

But good luck with that one, it is as ambiguous as it was under the old state law...

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom