• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Actually, YOU should go back and read what you said because it most assuredly sounds like you totally drank the kool-aid with A.A. It may not be what you MEANT, but I've gotta say I was shocked to read it.

That is what I got out of the OP as well. Seemed like there was some starry-eyed kissing going on.
    Lynx Defense

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    God damn, did you people even read what I posted? I even said that I don't agree with him, but I see where he came up with his ideas on gun control.

There's maybe 2 people that have any idea what I really thought of Art Acevedo (HINT, it's not great). Having met him in person, I am better aware of who he is and how he acts. At no point did I say it was what I believe, or what I think. I do think there are 3rd party outlets that exaggerate what he says ... as they would ANYONE. People like Alex Jones LOVE to get everyone riled up and laugh all the way to the bank, just the same as the evil news media.

Actually, you didn't say, "I don't agree with him."

In fact, you said -

While I don't necessarily always agree with him, I can definitely see why he so strongly believes in additional background checks. His reasons weren't to keep guns or a type of guns out of the hands of people, but two fold: To limit accessibility by felons and other scumbaggery (my word) via personal transactions, and secondly to protect the seller from civil liability.

And isn't that what they've been saying about UBCs this entire time? I don't understand how talking to him and hearing it again, but in person, can sway your opinion.

Regardless, from what you've personally made it sound like, even though you make it appear that it's not really what you meant, if Acevedo ever decides he doesn't want to work for APD, he could have an incredibly successful career as a used car salesman.

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    Not sure I understand your point there.. That doesn't appear to be words in Article 3 of the constitution...

However it does illustrate part of the overall problem that teachers are teaching kids this crap...

Dont get me started on public schools.. just.. lets not go there..

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    The police aren't mandated in the Constitution, should we do away with them? What about the rights of blacks and women to vote?

The system protects us just as much as it inhibits us. For every violent criminal that illegally obtains a firearm it's an excuse to distance legitimate gun owners from the criminality. For every whack job that obtains a firearm legally and commits a crime with it, it's an argument that gun control doesn't work.

The best thing the anti-gun lobby could do is remove the background check system.
    Women... amendment Blacks (and others) amendment... that's the way it is supposed to work. The supremes probably stepped over the line endorsing reasonable restrictions since the language is so strong; "shall not be infringed."

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I tried to be diplomatic and tip toe around the fact that the Chief is anti-gun. It is a fact and admittedly, I did a piss poor job. But, I also think the OP tried in a diplomatic attempt to try and say the same thing. If you have to deal with a person occasionally on a personal and professional level, it is not wise to attack that person on a public forum from a business perspective. I would not be surprised if the Chief has already been made aware of...... and has read this thread.....

I, for one would not bad mouth our local Chief of Police or Sheriff on a public forum.....I do know them, do business with them, and occasionally bump into them at local restaraunts......I do not always agree with them though on policy or their opinions....

jmho......

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What I said wasn't a criticism of Alan, it was a criticism of a bad police chief and a warning about that bad chief being a lying sack of poop.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Do you really, Alan? Think about it....this is someone with significant background in criminal actions/study that KNOWS where they get their firearms - and that their tactics will change w/the laws, as is common with the criminal element. IF he truly believes that, then he also knows that trying to force background checks on all transactions will simply result in higher street prices for guns, and more break-ins to get 'em.

Sorry - but I don't think he's that stupid. He's simply singing the party line, IMO.

I honestly think he doesn't really look that far ... it's a "the water is leaking, so I'll plug this hole" kind of mentality. It doesn't matter if the boat is going to sink regardless of his actions, he wants to plug the hole. It's not the most logical method, but that's what I get from listening to him speak about it.

Personally, I have quarrels about the system. I've seen it work, but it as a whole rubs me the wrong way.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Regardless, from what you've personally made it sound like, even though you make it appear that it's not really what you meant, if Acevedo ever decides he doesn't want to work for APD, he could have an incredibly successful career as a used car salesman.

All I said was I understand why he thinks that way ... as in ... he told me why he believes in them. Perhaps it was not worded that well, but it seems like a lot of people are quick to jump on me over this, and some of these people know me better than that.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Now that you've explained your use of the word understand. I now get what you were trying to say. Lol. This whole time I thought the same as most of the other posters. I guess everyone in here is in agreement AC is a douche nozzle.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    All I said was I understand why he thinks that way ... as in ... he told me why he believes in them. Perhaps it was not worded that well, but it seems like a lot of people are quick to jump on me over this, and some of these people know me better than that.

I'm not trying to be a dick, really, but I just don't understand. Maybe it's a miscommunication via the interwebs, I don't know.

I don't understand how or why any of these anti-gunners think the way they think. Sen. Feinstein can sit and tell me why she thinks the way she thinks all day to my face after she's baked me cookies. That doesn't mean I'm going to "understand" why she thinks that way; it's still wrong. The same goes for Acevedo.

Also, you're talking about Acevedo's "mentality" on UBCs, but the further leaning left uses that same thought process to come up with the idea to ban AR15s. AR15s have been used in mass shootings: ban AR15s. Done; the hole is plugged, as the way you put it.

Maybe he's a really personable guy or something, but in the end, he's still for UBCs, UBCs are bad, and therefore Acevedo is bad. He may not be bad in terms of being the guy you want to bring potato salad to your BBQ, but in the end, he's still lobbying for gun control.

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    And I'm just here, like; either the guy is a sociopathic fascist who's good at lying, or he's a complete moron. Either way, not someone I want to have the job he has.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

When quoting someone else's BS line, it's always a good idea to give a hint as to your own thoughts as to what they have to say, otherwise folks will presume you agree with their statements.

Besides - when someone is trying to sell gold-plated camel dung, it's always a good idea to point out that in a few days, it's gonna smell exactly like what it is.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So on KXAN they have a story about Art wanting 92 more cops. He needs more money the left always wants more money. The average emergency response time is 8 minutes. Imagine someone attacking you for 8 minutes straight. You will be left dead, raped or disabled. This guy who can't get a cop to you in under 8 minutes should focus on doing his job. People have to defend themselves.

I need to get out of Austin ASAP.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Alan trolling his own forum... epic win ;)

I bet Acevedo is a swell person to have a beer with, fun to talk to, and would probably even share his dirty pictures with you. I have acquaintances like that... I certainly wouldn't want any of them in a position of authority nor do I trust them to be anything other than who they are. I do understand the logic that strict gun control could make police's job easier. Fascism makes the police's job easier, too :p

Top Bottom