• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    What are my options for a cheap ar-15?? I know del-ton has a kit for $465?? Thats another thing. I cant decide on rifle barrel. I want to build a Vietnam style ar-15. I already have the full length hand guards. I know they made a CAR-15?? with the short triangle hand guards.

tju1973

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    McKinney Texas
    AIM Surplus has DelTon M4s for $669, and CMMG has tehm for $599. I have the CMMG Bargain Bin 18" hard chromed 1/7" that I got in today for $648 shipped-- I paid the $25 hand pick fee--- very nice, and if I didnt have a Stag 2 on the way (layaway) I would get the bargain bin M4...

SeanR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Denton
    Go to budsgunshop.com and you can get a ready to fire Double Star M4 for $650.00. I think it's a great one.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'll echo the recommendations for CMMG bargain bin. You'll get a complete rifle with a good CMMG uper for less than it'd cost you to build one from one of the cheapo kits.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I built one for about $750. Bought a DPMS lower at the Rolling Oaks Show a couple years ago (forget the dealer's name, but IIRC he does a lot of Class III business in TX) because he had a few brands of stripped lowers, and let me compare them, side by side, in my own hands. DPMS won the "Outbreak's untrained eyeball challenge."

I found my Stag kit (everything except the stripped lower) for about $650 at AR15 Sales. Great folks to work with. I ordered the kit Novermber 4, 2008(yeah, I'm one of those guys) and it was on my doorstep before the New Year. The price hadn't changed in about a year prior to the purchase.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Ill consider that but, I really wanted a full size 20" barrel a2 stock and a3 flat top upper. I think $465 plus $119 for a lower is actually the way Ill go so i can build it how I want it.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    That sounds like you'll be missing some things. For one, I haven't seen a lower that cheap in 2 years. I'd love a link for what you're looking at. Second, there's no way that lower is complete at that price, so you're looking at about $60 for the LPK, and probably another $70 for the A2 Stock.
    You're still making out like a bandit for just over $700, assuming the upper is complete, and you don't upgrade anything.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    That sounds like you'll be missing some things. For one, I haven't seen a lower that cheap in 2 years. I'd love a link for what you're looking at. Second, there's no way that lower is complete at that price, so you're looking at about $60 for the LPK, and probably another $70 for the A2 Stock.
    You're still making out like a bandit for just over $700, assuming the upper is complete, and you don't upgrade anything.

Look around lowers are everywhere again... and reasonably priced because many people snapped up lots and lots intending on making a large profit thinking prices would stay high I guess. Then of course people are losing their ass on everything since the election and starting to sell the hoarded ones, but with the prices coming back down there are usually plently available. There have been specials on LPKs for $50 lately on some sites trying to attract new business after the panic buying subsided.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    the kits rifle kits come with the lpk and stock all its missing is the stripped lower
    there was a few places that had rifle kits for sub 500 add a spikes lower for 100 bucks
    and a complete rifle for 600 add shipping and ffl fees youre maybe at 700 or so

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Just buy an Armalite complete 20" HBar w/fixed stock for $839 at Buds. You have to remember the"you get what you pay for rule" when buying combat weapons. At least this way there will be no question about parts compatibility and reliability. Save your pennies and get something worth owning.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That sounds like you'll be missing some things. For one, I haven't seen a lower that cheap in 2 years...
    Prices on lowers have returned to normal now. AIM had several brands of lowers in stock not too long ago for around $100 each. Search for "stripped lower receiver" on gunbroker and you'll see a spread from $90-$150. If they are that much on gunbroker, then you can definitely find them cheaper with a little bit of looking, lol... That Del-Ton kit country_boy is talking about has all the parts needed to build a complete rifle except the lower. I have no personal experience with Del-Ton, but I hear both good and bad. I'm sure it'd be fine for a casual plinker. I can understand the want to put together your own AR, it's a lot of fun.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Prices on lowers have returned to normal now. AIM had several brands of lowers in stock not too long ago for around $100 each. Search for "stripped lower receiver" on gunbroker and you'll see a spread from $90-$150. If they are that much on gunbroker, then you can definitely find them cheaper with a little bit of looking, lol... That Del-Ton kit country_boy is talking about has all the parts needed to build a complete rifle except the lower. I have no personal experience with Del-Ton, but I hear both good and bad. I'm sure it'd be fine for a casual plinker. I can understand the want to put together your own AR, it's a lot of fun.

They have lowers at the gun shop in Cedar Park that are $129.. Anyway TheDan is correct, the kit contains everything but the lower stripped receiver. Ive heard great reviews with Del-ton, very helpful too. One of the reasons I want to build one is: I like to build machines,engines, etc etc. So this is right up my alley.

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    cmmg bargain bin or buds gun shop doublestars...last time i saw one there it was 650....thats not chrome lined of course

tju1973

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    McKinney Texas
    cmmg bargain bin or buds gun shop doublestars...last time i saw one there it was 650....thats not chrome lined of course

My CMMG Bargain Bin that came in this week was $648 delivered w/the $25 handpicked fee...and its chrome lined..18" Government profile 1/7" twist...
    ar002.jpg

Idriveajeep

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Just outside El Paso
    My CMMG Bargain Bin that came in this week was $648 delivered w/the $25 handpicked fee...and its chrome lined..18" Government profile 1/7" twist...
    ar002.jpg

Did it come with the rear sight or did you have to buy one? I'd probably go with the 16" barrel and slap on an ACOG or reddot but it'd be nice to know that the 'ol irons are still there in case of an optics failure.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Staff online

• Vaquero
      Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GiantLoomis
    Top Bottom