Lynx Defense

I need to go on a rant about academy and gun safety.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Well as the title states I have to say this. I dont give one inch to idiots that dont obey the ten firearm safety rules. I was at academy just now and a guy and his girl were looking at handguns, I was patiently waiting my turn and a couple of times after the guy was done looking at whatever he would hand her that piece well after the second time she POINTED the barrel at him then kind of pointed it towards me(NOT towards me but almost), when she did that I backed way back, and the guy behind the counter noticed that and said to the her about POINTING THE BARREL IN A SAFE DIRECTION, there are other people in the area.

I know what the 2nd amendment states but, god dang people either learn the safety laws really well, or dont handle them. That pissed me off and I was about to say something, but the academy guy saved my breath.

Well thats my rant, time to reload some 45, yall have a good'n.
    DK Firearms

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    I was at Academy one time looking at some shotguns and there was this gentleman to my left looking at handguns. I over heard them(customer and salesman)discussing how to go about dropping the "Clip". It was clear to me that the customer had rarley if ever held or shot a handgun. But what really bothered me was the salesman saying clip. IDK what but its just one of those things for me. so I left.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I was offered a job at an Academy sales counter one night after selling 5 guns for them while waiting for help. The customers kept asking the dumbasses behind the counter questions that they couldnt answer because of lack of knowledge of anything gun related. So i asked the customers basic questions of what they wanted the guns for, target, hd, hunting, etc and helped them pick the ones for them. The dept manager walked up while i was doing this and offered me the job but when i turned him down he told the two guys behind the counter that they were lucky i turned it down because they would have been fired. But i wont work for academy, pay sucks.

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    This happens to me all the time at Academy, hell it happens at Cabela's and Bass Pro too. People who handle guns all day become complacent with their handling techniques. I am not at all saying they are justified in doing so, but I think they just forget or stop caring over time.

midnightyell

Makes Aggie Jokes Reality
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    Cypress
    I can't remember which Local gun store it is, but I remember one of them talking about the idea of putting snap caps in weapons at random as a safety test. If the salesperson handed a customer a weapon without clearing it and the snapcap was in, you're fired.

While that might be a little extreme, I've seen folks behind the counter of a LGS draw their open carry weapon to show a customer. If you've grown complacent behind the counter, that could get deadly fast.

the firearms safety rules always apply.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    But what really bothered me was the salesman saying clip.

Sadly the average idiot's only "gun experience" is hearing a mag called a clip while watching the "good guys" reel off ten rounds of 9mm a foot from their ear on TV... and seeing 37,624 rounds fired without anybody getting a scratch.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Sad when they make something simple so complex. How can one remember all those?????

Here are the only 4 you need to remember:
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Number 10 sounds like science project time. What happens when you mix alcohol and gunpowder? Also which type of alcohol gets the most (if any) reaction.

I think they meant do not handle any firearm under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Sad when they make something simple so complex.

+1!

The four I learned in the Marine Corps were worded slightly different from the ones matefrio posted, but they essentially said the same thing.

When you take something that simple and start adding to it and expanding it...

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Short of being a "Range Nazi", I am very safety conscious. There's never been an unplanned discharge charged to me, I've never shot anything that wasn't supposed to be shot, sent a round where it didn't belong or hurt any Human Being with a gun. There are a few reasons for that record:

I dry fire pistols a LOT in my home. Constant practice and familiarization make those pistols a natural extension of me. There's not a day that goes by that I am not handling a firearm and I know them like they are part of me. Constant drill does NOT made things less safe. Liberals think that a gun that is locked up and inaccessible is safer than a gun that is handled well and often. I disagree.

I check my firearm every time I pick it up. If I go to the "Head", when I return, I check it before practicing again. If I lay it down and do something else, I re-check it when I return to it.

My loaded, chambered SD firearms are always in the same place. I don't leave them around randomly. When guests come to my home (if they'll be here for a while), I tell them where the loaded guns are so they know, too.

I NEVER unload my SD guns. If I see that particular firearm, I know that it's loaded because it is always loaded.

I carry various guns depending on how I'm dressed and where I'm going. All of my carry guns are loaded. I place the ones that I'm not using today in a small safe............always loaded. There's never a "Did I load it or not?" question to be asked. The gun IS loaded.

When not on target or on the firing line, loaded guns point UP or DOWN depending on conditions. I don't give a flip about how some ranges do it. That's how I do it. Loaded rifles & shotguns may point "UP" or "down" as space or conditions demand it.

I carry a loaded long gun at a 45 degree angle, muzzle up. I'm always aware what is going on to my left (muzzle side). If I'm walking with someone, I'll adjust my position to keep the left clear.

Finger OFF of the trigger until the piece is on target.....not gonna even comment on that one.

That's how I do it and my record is absolutely clear. Agree or disagree as you wish but these techniques are not subject to debate for me.

Flash

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I was at Academy one time looking at some shotguns and there was this gentleman to my left looking at handguns. I over heard them(customer and salesman)discussing how to go about dropping the "Clip". It was clear to me that the customer had rarley if ever held or shot a handgun. But what really bothered me was the salesman saying clip. IDK what but its just one of those things for me. so I left.

One of them told me one time that he called it a magazine, but if a potential customer comes in calling it a "clip", he (the salesman) would continue calling it a clip rather than correcting the customer and possibly losing the sale.
    While I think it's his job to correct people on things that are firearm related, I also know how petty some of the general public can be, and kinda saw his point.

Top Bottom