• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Here's the deal, I have a friend who also has a CHL. He has been having some problems with some depression lately. He has been confiding in me for awhile now, and I just don't know what to tell him. He hasn't said one single thing that would raise a red flag about his guns or anything. He just wants to talk to someone about his depression, but he is really afraid that he will lose his CHL if he speaks to anyone. Any advise would be appreciated, There are alot of smart folks on here. He just wants help to feel better, but he would feel even worse, if he lost his rights because he is having a problem with some depression. Thanks

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I can't say about the legal aspects of going to talk to a "professional". But if he does not talk to someone he stands to lose more than just his CHL as depression usually only gets worse. Glad he is at least trying to talk to someone. Good luck

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I agree. I don't think there is any huge database of people that have seeked professional help. The only time I would see a chance of losing the chl is if he really was an immediate danger to himself or others and the psychiatrist/psychologist/counselor knew he had a chl or firearm. They may act to prevent a situation similar to Ft Hood. Other than that, I don't see an issue.

KellyAsh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras
    He wont have any issues regarding his CHL if he sees a professional over depression or any other normal issue. It's only when the counselor/psych doc thinks he has intentions of doing himself harm or others or has schizophrenia or some other sever issue AND they know he has a CHL and/or guns at hand will the therapist have an obligation to notify anyone. If he doesnt bring firearms into the session, he will have zero problems. It takes a hell of alot for that scenario to play out the bad way for him. He would really have to work at it. I know this because my mother is an LPC contractor for CPS, 1 family friend is a PHD Psychologist, and another is a PHD Psychiatrist, and I have been to a Psychiatrist for PTSD related issues, depression being one of them.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Thanks guys, I will encourage him to talk to someone (I have been already). If I thought for a second that he would be violent, I wouldn't even hesitate to hold his guns. I just want him to nip this in the bud, and the good news is, he wants to also. He was just worried about losing his right to carry. Thanks for the replies.
    Skip

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Depends on what he's depressed about. Is there a reason or is he having these "feelings" that he can't explain?

If there is a reason, then it's perfectly natural to grieve. It should run it's course. Has he broken up with a woman lateley, lost his job, death in the family or any reason at all?

Keep it simple. Take your friend out to do something fun, buy him a hot dog and a soda out at the park and get his mind off of his problems. Only talk about it if HE wants to. If that doesn't help, then explore other solutions. Take him to see his pastor. Can't hurt.

I don't know about your friend but most people used to get depressed about something or just nothing and just got over it. They didn't take anti-depressants. (They should call them suicide pills.) They just make you crazy just like the crazy head shrinkers! We don't need no stinking drugs!

I know a lady whose husband died and she was grieving. "They" (I guess some relatives) had her commited because she was depressed. Well of course she was depressed. Nothing wrong with her. Her daughter told me that they put her through shock treatments, anti-depressant drugs and all sorts of other things. She doesn't even remember much before that. They should have let her grieve. It's a natural process and a part of life. This is not medical advice. I'm not a doctor.

I'm NOT making light of your friend's problem but people get depressed.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Hey Skip, keep letting your friend know you're there. We all need to know someone wants us to be around when we have our down moments. Wouldn't be human if we didn't feel things.

I have wondered how the results of life would bear weight on a CHL status. We don't think about the practicalities of a process until we're faced with it ourselves. Good question your friend asked.

Hope your buddy gets what he needs and is able to move through this rough spot. No shame in needing help.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Just one more post on this thing. A couple of our customers (they don't know each other) had docs prescribe the so-called anti-depressants and when they called us for anything, they didn't make any sense, would sometimes cry for no reason, rant about something that was already fixed or didn't need fixing. Just crazy stuff. When they stopped taking the drugs they made all the sense in the world. I didn't mind when they called after that. One of them started taking the pills again (guess her doctor found out) and she's a crazy woman again.

The other one is a delight to talk to and she and her husband are not just customers any more but friends and are on the road to becoming conservatives.

If you can avoid it, don't get on the drugs.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom