• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    What level of knowledge, and tools are necessary to be successful? I want to buy a cheap AR lower and parts kit just for the experience. Are there any classes offered? Can I hire a gunsmith to teach me.

How long does it take to put one together?

So many questions, so few answers...
    Gun Zone Deals

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Your first one can be done yourself with no help except simple instructions found on the net using basic hand tools. 1/8" punch, 1/4" drive Allen wrench and a standard screwdriver. Check brownells for instructions or 100 other places.
    It's very easy but beware the front detent pin. If you don't get it in right you can launch it across the room. Having a partner with a towel to catch it should it go flying is a great help.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    It's easy. There are a number of videos and instructions out there

Took me about 2 hours for my first one and had no issues. I am glad I did it as I have a much better understanding of the internals

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    takes less than 30 minutes if youre doing it extremely slow. average time, 15 minutes with household tools. oh, and PLEASE look it up online, theres a plethora of tutorials that will walk you through. i've seen some pretty horrible new builds lately where they rammed parts where they should not have gone.

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    I've done 3, if I can do it, anyone can. AR15.com has instructions you can print out and there are youtube videos of step by step instructions.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    I lot count on the number of lowers I have down to date... lets just call it a lot :-)

there are some tools that make things faster/easier but you can do everything with a hammer and some punches.

I am in Houston and would be willing to walk you through the process and let you use my tools

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    The instructions from AR15.com are what I printed out and used for my first one. Easy and simple....with pichurs even. They really help in identifying all the pins and parts if you haven't done it before. I need an ambi selector and I'll be ready to build another one for myself. Just beware.....you can't have just one.:ohnoes:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Remember to do it in order, or you might end up taking parts off to make others fit.

Really simple, if you can change your car's oil by yourself without getting hurt or too dirty an AR is a breeze.

Always good to order a few extra detent pins, beats the hell out of looking for a lost one.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    Or order the 4 clam pivot pin detent tool on your next Midway order like I did. :D

One of the best pieces of advice I can give on assembling one is get some of that blue 3M painters tape. It won't leave any residue and will protect the lower in the few areas where you could easily scratch it putting in a pin....the bolt catch comes to mind right off.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    ARs are surprisingly easy to work on. If you have the right tools and the person that built the rifle did stuff "the right way" you can repair or replace ANYTHING on an AR in 30 minutes.

sleeplessintexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Bedford, Texas
    Certainly an easy task if you have mechanical skills and a bit of patients. I assembled my first lower with tack hammer and a couple of carpenters nail sets. I'd not recommend that.

Since then I've invested in better tools. A decent set of roll pin punches from Sears, roll pin starters, bolt catch punch, and numerous other bits and pieces from Brownell's and others.

One of the better bits can be had from any hardware store. 1/4 x 2" clevis pin makes an outstanding tool for installing the front take down pin.
    Tools & Hardware - Hardware & Fasteners - Fasteners - Pins, Rings & Clips - at The Home Depot

More about the clevis pin trick:
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/36...a__1_clevis_pin___56K_death.html&light=clevis

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    I "do" the front pin with a pair of needle nose pliers and a hobby knife. Or a .032 feeler gauge. I've done a few, and it works well :)

Alex

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    I did the pivot pin with a knife and had no issues. I just built my newest lower day before yesterday and got the Mdl1 pivot pin tool for 4 bucks with my Midway order. Figured why not. On my first attempt, the pin had a touch of oil on the end in it slipped a little bit...just enough the detent launched across the room...my first launch ever. :banghead: I grabbed the other detent and it went in smooth as could be. It took an hour, but I finally found the other one. Never had that trouble with the knife.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom