• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TravRich

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Boerne
    Looking for anyone in the Tyler, Tx area willing to help me learn to reload I have my money to buy a press and everything but I just dont know what I want. Everyone tells me a different story, dont use progressive and progressive is the only waqy to go??? So I have decided to look for help and decide by the hands on approach any information would be appreciated Thanks Travis
    DK Firearms

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The best place to start would be to get a Lyman (#48 or#49) reloading manual or The ABCs of Reloading and read it cover to cover. They do a good job of covering every step of the process and what is actually happening in each step. They also tell you what to look out for as far as mistakes. I'd read one before even finding a mentor as there is much to learn, and you want to have a good understanding of the process before you actually see it first hand. This will help you avoid some simple questions and trying to learn everything at one time.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I am in Houston so I can't help directly. But I can give you a bit of advice. This is a very expensive hobby. You won't save a dime but you will shoot twice as much because you can reload for half what you buy new. If you go to the range and shoot 100 rounds or less consider a single stage. It takes me about an hour to load 100 rounds. If you shoot more consider both a single and a progressive. Me loading on a dillon 650 I can get 500 rounds in an hour but to change calibers it's a 15 minute job. I use all three presses of mine depending on the job and my desire to enjoy the hobby. A little lee handypress is a great investment. You can do little "chores" while watching TV that you would be doing on a bench press. I started with RCBS and most of my dies are RCBS. If I break a small part I can swap till I get to the store for a replacement.
    Got questions? Ask away. There are a lot of good guys on the board happy to help.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    Getting the books first is the best piece of advice. Start slowly and work up from there. Beginning with a progressive press is NOT starting slowly. Yes, it will make more ammo, but you need to learn to crawl before you can walk, yes? A turret or single stage is as fast as you need to go just starting out. Learn the steps first and what not to do before you dive in head first with a progressive. I broke into it with a Lee Turret and worked up to a progressive. I learned a ton, both how to do it...and how not to do it on the turret. If it wasn't for the fact you could potentially kill yourself and or others, I'd say go big to start with. BUT...that death thing is permanent. Walk before you run and it will work out fine. Forums can be great knowledge assets....and they can drown you with info, some good, some bad. Read the ABC's and take it from there.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    There are certainly a lot of options when it comes to presses and most are designed for a specific job. The main consideration in selecting a press is how much ammo you will need to load and how fast you want to do it. It irks me personally when people say you can't start out on a progressive press. If you follow the directions and read the manuals, there isn't much of a problem. I did it and made a few mistakes at first but nothing hazardous. You just have to keep track of what is going on and watch what the press is doing. You will get the feel of it shortly and be able to load a lot of quality ammo which will save you a little money and allow you to practice more. Quality reloading equipment isn't cheap but will last you a lifetime if you take care of.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Pistol - Progressive
    Semi-Auto Rifle - Progressive
    Precision Rifle - Single Stage

That's kinda a nutshell idea of what you should be looking for depending on what you are doing.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    There are certainly a lot of options when it comes to presses and most are designed for a specific job.

It irks me personally when people say you can't start out on a progressive press.

Yes, there are a lot of opinions. Some good, some bad. Still, there is no reason to take it personally at all. Say your piece and leave it at that...no reason at all to take anything on the interwebs personally. Life is too short for that.

My perspective is based on my reality. I have in the past trained guys to do extremely dangerous jobs. The kind in which one slip up can kill you and others instantly. I tend to err on the side of caution. While reloading isn't nearly as dangerous, it has lots of intricacies that can make it dangerous if everything isn't paid attention to. I have always found it better to start slow and finish fast. That is my experience based on years of training guys for multiple jobs. You disagree...and I'm fine with that. No reason to take it personally.

TravRich

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Boerne
    Just ordered the lyman #48 & #49 books along with the abc's of reloading get back with y'all after the read thanks for all the info

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    You should get to a point where you know what the press should and should not do. Then research each press and determine what you want.

Personally, I started with progressives. It was a pain to set up, but about 3-6 months later I am getting to the point were I can consistently reload with no problems.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    TravRich, I'm in White Oak (45 minutes east). After you've at least read the pistol reloading parts of ABC's or Reloading, PM me on any questions. You are welcome to come over to see what reloading is like. I've got a Lee Classic Turret and Hornady Lock and Load and can show you the benefits of both. Read those books first; maybe twice.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I was thinking just buy a quality single stage press as part of a kit plus dies, bullets, powder primers and a good book, then sit down with it all and figure it out. You can learn to reload on your own. A good book is all you need and any major bullet manufacturer has a quality reloading book. The press and dies come with setup directions and just follow along and carefully weigh your powder charges and stay within the book.

It's easy.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom