• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Im working on building a SHTF setup that could handle all the tasks that could be needed.
    So far I have the list started with a dpms oracle in 5.56 w/ aimpoint comp M3 red dot and magpul UBR stock. The next part is just complete uppers for different situations or if I run out of ammo. Alexander Arms 6.5 grendel, RRA Elite comp 5.56, DPMS midlength 6.8 upper. All mags will most likely be all magpul pmags. Tell me what you think and tell us your SHTF setup ideas.
    Hurley's Gold

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    IMO, a SHTF AR15 should be comprised of top-tier components, which rules out DPMS, AA, and RRA. As for 6.5G and 6.8SPC, you'll have a tough time stocking up on SHTF quantities in those calibers.

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    When the SHTF it will be very important to have the knowledge (training) and the skill (practice) to defend against those (grasshoppers) who might try to take advantage of your hard work. Learn very well to use what you have no matter what it is also learn how to maintain and repair it thats the key to being prepared.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Im working on building a SHTF setup that could handle all the tasks that could be needed.
    So far I have the list started with a dpms oracle in 5.56 w/ aimpoint comp M3 red dot and magpul UBR stock. The next part is just complete uppers for different situations or if I run out of ammo. Alexander Arms 6.5 grendel, RRA Elite comp 5.56, DPMS midlength 6.8 upper. All mags will most likely be all magpul pmags. Tell me what you think and tell us your SHTF setup ideas.

6.5? 6.8? Foolish IMO. Expensive, hard to find and more niche rounds than anything else. Get a good .22, you can take pretty much any game with it (head shot!), it'll be much quieter when you do shoot, you can pile ammo deep without breaking the bank or really taking up any space, and you can buy extras to use as barter.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    6.5? 6.8? Foolish IMO. Expensive, hard to find and more niche rounds than anything else. Get a good .22, you can take pretty much any game with it (head shot!), it'll be much quieter when you do shoot, you can pile ammo deep without breaking the bank or really taking up any space, and you can buy extras to use as barter.
    As far as guns go, I agree with this post. You can always expand your preps, but a .22 is a must have.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    My SHTF setup ideas involves an ample supply of food, shelter, water, medical supplies, fuel. Guns & ammo are the least of my concerns.
    And if SHTF how do you plan on protecting those items from everyone else that didn't plan like you did. Not to mention a gun can also procure you food.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    And if SHTF how do you plan on protecting those items from everyone else that didn't plan like you did. Not to mention a gun can also procure you food.
    Not to speak for Renegade, but the fact that we are on this forum indicates that we have some guns. That having been said, water, food, meds and fuel are much more immediate needs.
    Guns have their place in the plan, they just aren't the #1 item on my list.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Not to speak for Renegade, but the fact that we are on this forum indicates that we have some guns. That having been said, water, food, meds and fuel are much more immediate needs.
    Guns have their place in the plan, they just aren't the #1 item on my list.

Exactly. And worrying details of whether those guns should be 6.5, 5.56, 6.8, Pmags or Contract mags, when you do not have enough water to last one day is misplaced priorities.

suhsjake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Food, Water, Shelter, and Medical should take precedence over Fire Arms. In a SHTF situation, I would recommend a good 9mm pistol and a .22LR. I wouldn't want to be walking around with a decked out rifle, it draws too much attention.

6.5 and 6.8 rounds would be pretty hard to find in a SHTF situation. Stick with the basic rounds such as the 12GA, .22LR, 9mm, .40, .223/5.56, and .308/7.62.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think lots of people have a very Hollywood oriented idea of how they think they may react in a SHTF situation. Honestly, I wouldn't get caught up with wasting resources on trying to have an upper or other tools to deal with every single possible situation that could happen. It's easy to nickel and dime yourself to death, and lets face it, most of us are on limited budgets. If you're not, would you like to adopt a grown ass man, I'm a hard worker? ;) lol Seriously though, think about what you really need and focus on that. Cheap guns to arm a few family members and possibly a few friends could be effective and worthwhile should the situation arise. I could see possibly having a more precision oriented AR upper as well. Food and water are of course a given necessity. I'd focus more on getting some top notch training. For the price of a couple less uppers, you could attend a good fighting pistol and fighting rifle class that could have you running circles around most people. No one knows if, when, or how the S may hit the F so there's really no way to plan for every eventuality. Maybe it's another large scale terrorist attack? Maybe it's the collapse of the dollar and ensuing economical chaos? Who knows. Instead of wasting time trying to predict everything we should have a few effective tools, and rather get training to make ourselves more prepared mentally and physically. That's just my opinion anyways.

suhsjake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    I hate to mention this, but if shite really did hit the fan, I think Uncle Sam would be enacting some sort of restrictions on fire arms. Concealled is the way to go unless you are camping out in your house/apartment, or moving in your vehicle. I mean, I as a Guardsman, I don't mind the fact that people have fire arms, as long as it is for protection and to gather food. If Uncle Sam ordered the Guard or Police to collect fire arms, I am pretty sure about 90% would ignore that order and continue on. But if you are walking around in the open with an AR, your liable to run into trigger happy police or military who are operating on two hours of sleep and an MRE a day.

Like Sig_Fiend stated, people have a very Hollywood idea of load up on guns enough to wage a small war with. In a SHFT, speed and low profile is key, but balancing that with defensive ability is quite difficult.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    As far as guns go, I agree with this post. You can always expand your preps, but a .22 is a must have.

Yeah, I'm not dealing with the rest since the subject at hand is guns. Obviously there's a lot more involved, but IMO it all boils down to KISS. What do you need? I know I want about two dozen guns, one for each situation I can think of, but that's not realistic. So I'll take a general purpose rifle that I can keep a little lower profile, that I know works well, that works well with me, and that I'm good at using. As the saying goes, beware the man with one rifle - he knows how to use it.

Other physical preps are far more important than what hardware you've got under the bed. So are training and mindset. I wouldn't feel like I was in trouble entering a SHTF situation with one of my Mosins and a tin of ammo. Why? Because I know how to use them and have given myself the best mindset I possibly can for hunting and/or defending hearth and home with one.

Look at it this way - just about any gun is no worse than what anybody else is likely to have, right? The difference is how well you can use it, and having spent more time at the range than I can really afford and watching people shoot, I don't think it's going out on a limb to say that it's not too hard to get yourself onto the right side of that particular bell curve.

Gunfights are almost never settled by who has the best gun. They're settled by who is the best gunner.

I can defend what I've got just fine with pretty much any of my guns, including my .22. Security is going to be more about appearances and vigilance. And if you're vigilant and know they're coming, a scoped little .22 will let you drop two or three before they even realize that the strange noise they've heard is gunfire. That's if you're unlucky and have a group come after you. I think most of your threats will be desperate individuals. Though I've got to say that if you pop the more eager members of a group, especially if you get the more vocal ones egging everybody on, the rest of them will probably leave you alone and give you wide berth.

Though if SHTF and I'm faced with a group, I will be shooting backs in such a situation. No reason to risk them coming back with even more friends.

Ric_Knight

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    San Marcos
    While I am armed and getting training as I can, I intend to find a group of friends that I can trust before things go south and when it does I plan to find a place to hide and pull the earth down on top of us. The lower and further out of sight the better as my name is not Stallone and I don't live in Hollywood.

Anyway, I have a DPMS Oracle that I am tracking round for round to see how well it holds up and thus far it has been quite good, accurate and lacking a failure record.

Top Bottom