• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I realize what flash hiders and muzzle breaks are and what they do. I personally don't see a need for either in most civilian situations other that maintaining the AR look, which is perfectly OK. Since my AR came from the factory with neither I was just inquiring.
    Texas SOT

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I realize what flash hiders and muzzle breaks are and what they do. I personally don't see a need for either in most civilian situations other that maintaining the AR look, which is perfectly OK. Since my AR came from the factory with neither I was just inquiring.

Was not trying to accuse you of not knowing the difference. I was just putting it out there for others that might be wondering.

Theres a lot of following for brakes and comps now because of 3 gun and many carbine classes. Its also pretty popular in precision shooting. So of course anything that benefits, people are going to want to use it.

Personally, i wasnt sure how it would work on my ar. I previously only had them on 308s. I do love how it shoots now with one but the ar is so low recoiling that i could slap the regular flash hider on and put a little more support and itll be fine.

I dont think ive seen any non threaded ars lately unless specifically asked for or was from the awb days.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I love good brakes! It's so nice to be able to shoot as fast as you can and the rifle just stays pointed where you want it. Necessary for ARs? No, but I like shooting with them

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I've never had a brake on my Colt 6731. What does a break do for you on a low recoil .223? I never worried about muzzle flash 'cause I don't shoot at people and therefore don't care if it's seen. I'm probably gonna' get flamed but it's a semi-serious question.

Flash can also blind the shooter in low light situations. It's not necessarily about being seen, but being able to see after the shot.

Brakes are not needed on a 223 as with good technique the recoil is quite manageable. They do offer and advantage and little to no hindrance. It's nice to have the muzzle pretty much stay on target and all you're worried about is trigger reset when shooting fast.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    The thread says, "if i had an ar15" i am guessing they have yet to get one. In which case my questions would be, why do you feel you need a muzzlebrake just yet. What are you looking to solve. Shoot the weapon plain jane first and then address any gear issues after.

gcarrillo004

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Atascocita, Texas

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've posted this in several other threads but it may be worth a look in this one.

As an NRA match shooter, a lot of my AR-15 firing was done from prone position. If you stick a device (what ever you choose to call it) on the end of your rifle and it has holes/ports on the lower part of the device, it will throw dust, rocks, dirt and grass in your face when firing. Depending upon the reason that you built the rifle or the intended purpose, a puff of dirt can reveal your position, as well. Summed up.............. accept no holes/ports in the bottom of the hider/brake if you intend to shoot from prone.

Flash

Last edited:

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I've posted this in several other threads but it may be worth a look in this one.

As an NRA match shooter, a lot of my AR-15 firing was done from prone position. If you stick a device (what ever you choose to call it) on the end of your rifle and it has holes/ports on the lower part of the device, it will throw dust, rocks, dirt and grass in your face when firing. Depending upon the reason that you built the rifle or the intended purpose, a puff of dirt can reveal your position, as well. Summed up.............. accept no holes/ports in the bottom of the hider/brake if you intend to shoot from prone.

Flash
    Can't see why a comps would have ports on bottom

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    They are out there and are designed to appeal to the shooter's eye....not practical use. The latest design I saw had three spiral grooves that made it look like a Barber pole. The spiral grooves continued around the bottom. They look cool but are worthless from prone. I quizzed the rep and told him about what those bottom grooves do from prone. It was obvious that he had heard it before.

Flash

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    They are out there and are designed to appeal to the shooter's eye....not practical use. The latest design I saw had three spiral grooves that made it look like a Barber pole. The spiral grooves continued around the bottom. They look cool but are worthless from prone. I quizzed the rep and told him about what those bottom grooves do from prone. It was obvious that he had heard it before.

Flash

Yeaj theres some that are made just for looks thats for sure.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston

Flash
    Yes but no one is gonna recommend that one

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Now.......That's a fireball! Shooting the shorter M44 Russian rifles will do that. One of my match shooter buddies liked to bring his Russian Rifles to the military bolt action matches. He incinerated grass for 10 feet in front of those rifles!

Re: The flash hiders/brakes/ compensators with the bottom ports......
    Accessories for the AR-15 earn huge incomes for CNC machinists. They can brew up cool looking products that appeal to your eye and your wallet but have no practical use.

I am a member of two gun clubs. One club has lots of prone shooting and sponsors NRA matches with two prone stages. Their 600 yard matches are all prone. You learn real quickly about what doesn't work well on the end of your barrel. The things will blast you with rocks, dirt and grass.

I was a member of PSC in Pearland for years and they have some all prone 200 yard matches. You took a close look at your neighbor's gear before you set up your gear. Some of those brakes will deflect the hair on your eyebrows! The side blast is awful!

The other club doesn't forbid prone shooting but it's highly discouraged. At that range, it wouldn't matter what you stuck on the end of the barrel. Most of that is bench shooting.

Flash

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    If you're concerned about prone shooting you may ant to look at JPRifles website for Bennie Cooley brakes. I have one on my AR-10 that works very well. I do not do lot of prone shooting but when I ave there is little debris stirred up. No ports on the bottom.

JP - Compensators - Bennie Cooley Signature Series

JPTRE-3_271.jpg

Large profile

JPTRE-Largeframe.jpg

Robmoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Arlington
    I've never had a brake on my Colt 6731. What does a break do for you on a low recoil .223? I never worried about muzzle flash 'cause I don't shoot at people and therefore don't care if it's seen. I'm probably gonna' get flamed but it's a semi-serious question.

Flash suppressors are to protect the night vision of the shooter. They do nothing to conceal muzzle flash when viewed from down range. If you were out at night shooting pigs or target shooting in a low light situations a flash suppressor would be a nice accessory.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom