If you cant do the work, dont do it. Pay someone.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Wanted to remind and give a little warning to people that work on their own guns with not a lot of experience.

When your using a tap, use the proper drill bit, use the proper tap and wrench. GO SLOW! Use plenty of cutting fluid.

Looks like I will have some work tomorrow, getting a broken tap out of a hole of a saiga's feed ramp. Those instructions above werent followed and thats what happens.

Yall hav a good'n.
    Hurley's Gold

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That is about one of the worst situations, getting a broken tap/ screw/ bolt out. Does it pay by the job, the hour, or the curse word? There is good money in it if it pays by the curse word.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    LOL.. You know these college kids know everything, right?? This one is by the hour, well hell by the curse word. Hes a friend of mine but, I wonder sometimes bout him.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    The only way to learn is to try and fail or pay someone to teach you.
    Drilling and Tapping should be part of a every high schoolers education. Unformunantly shop class is not taught much anymore. Shame to. Everyone wants it quick and dirty and this instant. Its a real shame too because there is an art to quality machining and little appreciation for it. Everyone wants to program the CNC and nobody can tap a hole.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    The only way to learn is to try and fail or pay someone to teach you.
    Drilling and Tapping should be part of a every high schoolers education. Unformunantly shop class is not taught much anymore. Shame to. Everyone wants it quick and dirty and this instant. Its a real shame too because there is an art to quality machining and little appreciation for it. Everyone wants to program the CNC and nobody can tap a hole.

Sorry Mike, I just couldn't stop laughing reading your post.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wanted to say somethin so bad, but didn't want to show my immaturity.

rigjumpr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Houston, Tx.
    you know it's funny i have had alot of guys come into the shop with that same type story. this is when the DIY project becomes "aah hell, Hello rigs place"

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    ^ well that can be case. But, the way he showed me he did it was.. I just said wow!

Used a vice grip pliers to hold the tap in place.. Didnt go slow or backed it up to clean the debris out. Then he said he wants to use a pop rivet gun once he removes the tap. I said.. well thats your choice. But, Im off tomorrow and I can fix it the way its suppose to be done.

Yes you can try and learn on your own thats fine. But, wouldnt it be better to research what your trying to do, hopefully it comes out right and not a huge problem?? Thats how I was taught. Grand dad didnt tolerate the other.

Oh well more money for the plow boy :)

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    We know how immature both of you are so quit being pussies and just say it next time. Saying you were gonna say it isn't the same as saying it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Wanted to remind and give a little warning to people that work on their own guns with not a lot of experience.

When your using a tap, use the proper drill bit, use the proper tap and wrench. GO SLOW! Use plenty of cutting fluid.

Looks like I will have some work tomorrow, getting a broken tap out of a hole of a saiga's feed ramp. Those instructions above werent followed and thats what happens.

Yall hav a good'n.

And make sure you know how to get the tap straight in the hole! That's one thing that people overlook. You either wind up with a broken tap or a crooked hole that's oversize at the bottom.

1/4 turn worth of cutting, half turn back. Rinse, repeat a billion times. You have to break the chip as you go!

Top Bottom