Gun Zone Deals

I'll admit I was speeding if Officer X will admit ...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    ... he stretched the truth of the offense location - - - for MORE than 2 miles!!!

I'm leaving small town E TX starving, with a pile of BBQ and headed home and suddenly, there he is on my bumper. He couldn't/didn't lite me up at first because we were on a two-lane with guard rails and no safe place to stop. Several hundred yards before the next available pull over on go the blues, I pull off and he conducts his business. After visiting the car once and returning to the cruiser, he returned asking for my phone number. That really struck me as odd but it has been years since my last ticket so maybe that's normal.

After the stop was completed I noticed the address of offense @ 950blk but knew we stopped well beyond that. I doubled back toward town to check the postings. Since I drove way to far before seeing a speed limit change, I realized he picked an address at a lower speed to increase the fine. Admittedly I didn't go all the way back to town and document all the changes but here's what I found out. Approximately 100yds beyond (toward where he pulled me over) a business with an address of 1128, the limit changed up to 55mph. Checking the odometer I drove to where he wrote me up and it was over 2 miles past the limit change. There was plenty of places he could have pulled me over before that guard rail section and honestly, he was not behind me until that section.

I can accept a 5mph over the limit ticket, but not 10mph over the limit. How do you deal with the small town 'legal system'?
    Venture Surplus ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Did you offer him any BBQ? There is the problem right there.

Just messing with you. That situation sucks. Without any actual proof you are usually screwed. Your word against his in court.

It probably isn't worth it to hire a lawyer and fight it. A defensive driving class is always an option.

Hopefully someone else here has a more helpful idea.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    He does not write you at where he pulled you over, he writes you for where he clocked you. In other words, where the offense occurred.

From your post it appears you have no idead where he clocked you.

Come on dude. You are better than this. ;)

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Did you offer him any BBQ? There is the problem right there.
    I should have thought of that. Is 50 bucks worth of BBQ the going bribe rate?

From your post it appears you have no idead where he clocked you.
    You're right, I don't. But as the ticket indicates, traffic conditions were light and it does not take over 2 miles to catch someone going 60. I'm not a whiner and I admit I was speeding. The only question is in what zone did he clock me.

Thinking back, where I found the 55mph noted in OP in the NB direction (my direction of travel during ticket) the SB limit changed down to 45mph. Point being the ticket was marked as a 50mph zone and I'm not sure one exists in the area. Gonna have to check that out later.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I see a defensive driving class in your future
    Maybe. Like I said it's been years (well over 3) since my last ticket. Why not just pay it and move on down the road?
    I'm gonna talk to some of the long time locals to see if I can find out what's shaking in the area on the issue.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    If you plead guilty the conviction goes on your record and your insurable company will find out.
    And ...
    If it's been over 3 years since the last one, it shouldn't affect my current rates correct? I realize that's taking a chance on not getting 2 more during the next 3 years, if that's still the rule.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I had a cop ask me for the name and address of my employer. When I asked why he replied that it was so they could find me. He didn't issue a citation, just a warning to get the speedometer fixed. Maybe they just ask stupid questions to see if you appear to be lying.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    And ...
    If it's been over 3 years since the last one, it shouldn't affect my current rates correct? I realize that's taking a chance on not getting 2 more during the next 3 years, if that's still the rule.

Depends on your company I guess. I'd choose not to have a criminal record but that's just me

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    still have a bad taste with paying ticket to the court directly. I always give out my tickets to lawyer its well worth addtional $50-$70 and not getting anything on record.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Depends on your company I guess. I'd choose not to have a criminal record but that's just me
    It definitely wont be a criminal offense. I'm covered by the # 1/2 auto insurance companies as rated by both JD Power & Consumer Reports.

still have a bad taste with paying ticket to the court directly. I always give out my tickets to lawyer its well worth addtional $50-$70 and not getting anything on record.
    Now that you mention lawyer, I remembered it's been @ 8yrs since I last had a real problem.
    As long as it's below the 10mph over limit, I'd just as soon pay and go on.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    i wasnt paying attention on my way to work the other day, and i was running late. i ran up on a Marked unit, i was doing like 85. he got behind me and followed me for like 5 miles. he pulls me over tells me i was doing 86 in a 65. i mentioned i was running late to work and threw in where i worked before he could even ask.

he told me to slow down and leave the house earlier. THUMBS UP!!!

Top Bottom