• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    Don't know if any of you made it to the Allen Event Center this past weekend, but the Event Center (which is owned by the City of Allen) had a 30.06 sign posted on very large posters at several points along the entrance.

Being a city owned building and not meeting any of the criteria set forth by 30.06, 46.03, or 46.035 this appears to be an illegal 30.06 sign.

Am I missing something here?
    Lynx Defense

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    If you mean the white letters on the doors, yeah I saw that. I think they held a gun show there this past week....

ETA:

Did not mean to imply a connection. Just two facts about AEC.

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    Sorry I wasn't more clear.... It appears to be an illegal 30.06 sign.

It's a city owned building, has no courts (or offices utilized by...), no voting booths, and none of the requirements listed by 46.03 and 46.035....

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Just ignore the sign then. The Saxet show in Austin is now in a government owned building and I bet they will post a meaningless 30.06.

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    thanks for clarifying. I was trying to be brief in the title line.

One thing they did do was have a couple of private security guys stop everyone that walked in and ask them verbally if they were carrying a loaded handgun and then asked to see it. There was a cop stationed right next to them. I guess they were trying to intimidate.....

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    thanks for clarifying. I was trying to be brief in the title line.

One thing they did do was have a couple of private security guys stop everyone that walked in and ask them verbally if they were carrying a loaded handgun and then asked to see it. There was a cop stationed right next to them. I guess they were trying to intimidate.....

Security guards can go sit on a stick.

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    I'm also curious how any of you have approached city officials if you've seen ineffective 30.06 signs in city places liek public school parking lots, Allen Event Center, etc....

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Security Guards have the same authority as the owner of the property, and they can effect an arrest.

If this was at a gun show, don't carry loaded inside. We read enough about Bozos popping off a round at gun shows.

If something is not illegal, I don't care what kind of dumb sign they post. :)

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Security Guards have the same authority as the owner of the property, and they can effect an arrest.

True but I thought this was public property. The owner being the people of Allen. There can be a manager of the property or a facilitator but as far as an owner, every tax-paying citizen in Allen would be considered such.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    True but I thought this was public property. The owner being the people of Allen. There can be a manager of the property or a facilitator but as far as an owner, every tax-paying citizen in Allen would be considered such.
    It is owned by the public but that doesnt mean the public gets to make the rules for what goes on there.
    the "I'm a tax-payer" so this is my building......or ""I'm a tax-payer and you work for me".....or any other similar phrase to a public official are heard all the time and never hold water.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    It is owned by the public but that doesnt mean the public gets to make the rules for what goes on there.
    the "I'm a tax-payer" so this is my building......or ""I'm a tax-payer and you work for me".....or any other similar phrase to a public official are heard all the time and never hold water.

True... Then again the people usually making such claims aren't the calmest individuals.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

Security has no more power to effect arrest than any citizen. In this case what would they be arresting for?

If a gun show is in a public building there is no reason not to carry concealed into the show. For normal, responsible, people. If someone is an asshat and likes to pull their loaded pistol and wave it around they would be better served not carrying anywhere.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Security has no more power to effect arrest than any citizen. In this case what would they be arresting for?
    That is correct, and I was responding in general to the comment that guards can go "sit on a stick". ;)

If a gun show is in a public building there is no reason not to carry concealed into the show. For normal, responsible, people. If someone is an asshat and likes to pull their loaded pistol and wave it around they would be better served not carrying anywhere.

Agreed, but how do you keep those folks out?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Agreed, but how do you keep those folks out?

How do you keep them out of any place? I don't think you can, until they screw up.

My point is that Joe Bozo who likes to pull his carry gun and point it around is no more of a menace at a gun show than he is at What A Burger.

Top Bottom