• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    that for the first time in years I completely emptied my gun safe and recorded each and every serial #. Now should someone penetrate the 16 layers of security to get to my gun safe, I have something to give the insurance company.

I kept looking at that banner ad that said only 9% of gun owners do it, so now i am in the minority.
    Target Sports

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I actually did this again about a month ago. My wife was not happy with the entire kitchen covered in firearms. Then came the dreaded "How much are all these worth?" questions.
    If anything happens to me, I hope she don't sell em for what I told her I paid for em!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I've kinda'-sorta' done that as I purchase and sell guns but I haven't really kept up with it as I should. Sigh.........Now you've made me feel guilty so I think I'll do what you have done as well as take a picture of each (if I don't already have one). Thanks for the reminder.

texas1willy2

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    woodlands
    I've done it too.......I have a document on my computer with serial numbers and pics of each.......

I did the same thing, then was the DA that lost a hard drive.......with no back up!!!

The serial # are easy, it's everything else that I lost that makes me a _________

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Email the serials to yourself (using a secure email provider). Someone could steal absolutely everything you own and you'd still be able to go to the nearest library and get your SNs back.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Good idea London. I've been doing that for several years and now I know I'm not the only one that does it like that.

texas1willy2

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    woodlands
    Email the serials to yourself (using a secure email provider). Someone could steal absolutely everything you own and you'd still be able to go to the nearest library and get your SNs back.

I emailed a list of all my serial #'s but all of my old emails where lost when I started using a different computer.
    The first time I logged on there were only a portion of my saved emails and I've never been able to access the rest of them.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I do it every year. I've got a list of mine at home and in the vault at work.

I should probably send it to the government with a list of all my ammo and my political views too...you know, like a good American.

Chickenwing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Central Texas
    I do it every year. I've got a list of mine at home and in the vault at work.

I should probably send it to the government with a list of all my ammo and my political views too...you know, like a good American.

Lulz.

I keep a list both hardcopy and on my computer (excel file on computer), an e-mail copy of the excel file, and have a copy with my insurance company should they ever go missing.

The excel file contains make, model, serial #, caliber, and accessories of every gun I've ever owned including where I got it, when I got it, how I paid for it, if I sold/traded it and to whom, and even used to include round counts (but that got old fast keeping up with it).

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Boston T. Party recommends, for maximum privacy, using an individual sheet of paper for the SN of EACH gun. Makes it harder for Uncle Sam to track your "Stockpile / Arsenal" should the day ever come.

Considering most of mine are on a 4473 I'm screwed anyway.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I did this at some point, a few guns ago. I sold one today to a TGT member, and came home intending to update the list...I have no idea where it went. This time, I'm going to do it electronically, and hard copy.

verge

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Ft. Worth
    I keep a spreadsheet updated with Make, Model, Caliber and Serial number. A copy on my laptop, a copy on an external hard drive, a copy on a thumb drive and a copy on the flash memory card in my smart phone. I am an IT professional so I believe in having good backups!

Vance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    San Leon Texas
    I've got two lists. One hand written and another on the laptop. I'm hoping that I can eventually take pictures of each, (means getting the camera gear out) and then imbedding each guns info in the image file itself then burning all images to two seperate CD's or DVD's, filing one in the house safe and another at a family members house.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    I have my info in a binder with pic of each gun, make, model, sn, date acquired, how acquired/who acquired from, price paid or traded, and caliber. Also on my computer and a backup copy of everything. I too took them out of the vault one day to take pics and the wife not only asked what they were worth but HOW MANY there were. Dammit, now there's a baseline number!!

Top Bottom