Capitol Armory ad

I'm Jones'n to buy a 12 Ga Semi-auto. Suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Every thing I have seen listed are great guns, but if You will use it for hunting, pick the one that fits you the best, You will shoot tons better with it than any othet, regardless of the name on it.

zenfly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    All these suggestions are what others like.. It would be best to go to Gander Mt. / Bass Pro or any gun shops and snap guns to your shoulder.. Best while your eye has already established a target .. The one that lines up closely with what you were looking at is what I'd buy..

Rem 1100s line up great for me.. The Benelli's mentioned are some the most advanced and versatile autos to date.. All my stuff is old but if I was buying one shotgun today I'd give them a serious look and if it fits I'd buy one..

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I've really fallen for the Berretta A400 Extreme Max 4 KO that fires all 3 shell sizes. Problem is $1800 is a lot of money for something that I don't use that often.

I have a Beretta 391 Extrema I would let go for 1/2 that.

http://lawmotorsports.net/mw/Beretta_391_01.jpg

http://lawmotorsports.net/mw/Beretta_391_02.jpg

It's taken down a few birds in its time.
    Good, solid shooter.

Has the case, book, chokes ...

I bought a 390 and use it more often than the 391.

Kingwoodcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Houston
    I've wanted a 12 ga semi-auto shotgun for a LOOOOOOOOOOOng time. I've got a really nice old WesternField pump 16 ga that dad probably bought back in the late 60's or early 70's from Montgomery Wards but I've decided it's time to purchase my 12 ga. I've really fallen for the Berretta A400 Extreme Max 4 KO that fires all 3 shell sizes. Problem is $1800 is a lot of money for something that I don't use that often. So, what else is out there that is Semi-Auto and will fire all shell sizes? Any suggestions from you guys who know shotguns better than myself is greatly appreciated.

I bought the new Browning A-5 humpback in June and it is truly a work of art. I like. the gun more each time I shoot it. The only thing it has in common with the old humpback is the look. What a sweet shooter!

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    If you're looking for a field gun, been shooting Browning SA's (and a Browning Patent, Remington Model 11), for sixty years. Two A-5's in 12 ga, and the Model 11 in 20ga, have harvested a world of ducks, geese, doves, and quail in that time. Have handed a Browning A-5 to many a client, while sitting in a muddy goose spread on a cold rainy day, so they could finish the hunt with a shotgun that was still working despite the mud and rain. IME, damned hard to beat for a field gun.

Kingwoodcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Houston
    If you're looking for a field gun, been shooting Browning SA's (and a Browning Patent, Remington Model 11), for sixty years. Two A-5's in 12 ga, and the Model 11 in 20ga, have harvested a world of ducks, geese, doves, and quail in that time. Have handed a Browning A-5 to many a client, while sitting in a muddy goose spread on a cold rainy day, so they could finish the hunt with a shotgun that was still working despite the mud and rain. IME, damned hard to beat for a field gun.

The new A-5 is even better than the older version. This is the sweetest shooting shotgun I've ever fired.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Still looking? ?
    Absolutely I'm still in the market and looking. Thanks to everyone for your ideas & suggestions. I've been burning the internet up! Actually I would have already made a choice and purchase but I've got to get a gun safe first - ASAP. After that, it's SA 12 ga time for me. I still haven't made a decision but I plan to do my "due diligence" - Thanks to all - keep the opinions coming I'm reading each one!

craftkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Rockport, Texas
    Wife got me a max4 Stoeger 3500 for my birthday last year. Shoots low brass 2 3/4 dove loads and handles up to 3 1/2 in shells for duck or goose hunting. Great gun and decent price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    J40CK.jpg

New object of my affection...

Thanks TexasYankee!

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    J40CK.jpg

New object of my affection...

Thanks TexasYankee!

Lol! If it makes you feel any better I don't have one bit of guilt dropping that paycheck on the A400 Xcel. The piston stock makes trap and skeet an all day event without any shoulder fatigue.

But my 930spx is and has been 100% reliable with barely any maintenance. It's not as "clean" as some others, but it goes bang every time with any ammo. Even those 7/8 Oz loads, but it likes buck too.
    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have two Berettas and love them both. First was the AL 390. My 14 yr old son who barely weighed 100 lbs could shoot that one.

Then added the 391, and its even better.

I first bought the 390 over a Browning due to the plastic parts in a Browning. The piston rod was plastic. I didn't take a genius to know that was going to end badly. The Beretta was aluminum, in fact all metal inside. I have a gazillion round through that gun, and its never spit the bit. Not even once. And that with a horrible cleaning history. They were under $1K at the time. But they have some pretty awesome guns now that have beautiful wood on them. And still others that have every pattern of camo available.

I won't ever buy another shotgun that's not a Beretta, unless its a Benelli. I have shot my BIL's and its just as sweet as my Berettas, but he also takes it to Argentina to bird hunt. It will shoot the cheap shells they have there. Not sure if mine will do that, but I can shoot several hundred rounds in a day with it, without being totally sore or worn out.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    So I’ve finally made a purchase. A Remington 1100 SPS 2 3/4 synthetic stock. Can’t wait to take possession and get to enjoy this shotgun. I do need some help though. What the hell does SPS stand for?

Top Bottom