Lynx Defense

I'm looking for good reasons to own a 1911, what are they?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    20210806_180211.jpg
    my edc for 12 yrs
    Guns International

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Best of both worlds for me, EDC X9.

I’ll still take a single CNS hit over 69 holes thru soft tissue w/o organ hits any day. Just like hunting animals, shot placement is key.

I’m always curious about stories like you linked…how much actual stress shooting do most LEOs do. Once the adrenalin starts pumping and the heart and respiration rates soar it gets real hard to keep a handgun on target in a fight.
    Yep, shot placement is probably the most difficult thing (unless you are some type of highly experienced operative). As you mention, emotions are sky high, adrenaline surging so much your hands may be shaking, heart pumping so hard you can hear it in your ears. And under these conditions, one is supposed to have great shot placement?

Most LEO's I know say the average cop does not do much shooting, much less stress shooting. The average citizen even less so.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Put one through the brain bucket and all the ‘zero quit’ in the world doesn’t matter.
    There are always exceptions.

During a gun fight, Buck Barrow was shot in the head and lost a big chunk of his forehead, exposing his brain. Bonnie and Clyde poured hydrogen peroxide on Buck's exposed brain and Buck still managed to live to get into another gunfight 5 days later when he was shot 6 more times and captured. He was put in a hospital and survived long enough for his mom and a brother to arrive and say goodbye.

All in all, the guy lived for 10 days and remained dangerous for much of that time after having a not-inconsequential chunk of his skull blown off.

Yeah, yeah, I know. It's possible to disagree about the definition of "through the brain bucket" because this particular bullet went through the brain bucket without actually touching the brain. You really meant "through the brain." I get that.

Still, the point remains. Having "all the 'zero quit' in the world" can be a much bigger deal than people realize.

Also, I can't help but think of this guy:

25498019_1559310937494593_7066888456876793536_n.jpg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have certain criteria I have always placed on carry or self-defense firearms.

First and foremost are that the weapon and it's ammo are reliable. Caliber, capacity, accuracy and penetration are secondary considerations. If the weapon and ammo are not reliable, none of the secondary will matter in time of need.

I have preached shot placement matters for years. The caliber or round count are secondary and really aren't important if shot placement aren't observed and adhered to.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    There are always exceptions.

During a gun fight, Buck Barrow was shot in the head and lost a big chunk of his forehead, exposing his brain. Bonnie and Clyde poured hydrogen peroxide on Buck's exposed brain and Buck still managed to live to get into another gunfight 5 days later when he was shot 6 more times and captured. He was put in a hospital and survived long enough for his mom and a brother to arrive and say goodbye.

All in all, the guy lived for 10 days and remained dangerous for much of that time after having a not-inconsequential chunk of his skull blown off.

Yeah, yeah, I know. It's possible to disagree about the definition of "through the brain bucket" because this particular bullet went through the brain bucket without actually touching the brain. You really meant "through the brain." I get that.

Still, the point remains. Having "all the 'zero quit' in the world" can be a much bigger deal than people realize.

Also, I can't help but think of this guy:

25498019_1559310937494593_7066888456876793536_n.jpg

I’d also argue there’s times when the spinal cord is severed yet a threat still exists. Rare and nowhere near as common as autonomic responses in a defensive shooter when fight-or-flight kicks in, which is what screws with the fine motor control. That’s why I like the statements in the policeone article; it took a bunch of trigger pulls before the LEO gained enough control over the response for him to unass the vehicle and seek more tactically advantageous cover. Once he recognized being out of the kill zone, he then had control of enough processing power to understand he needed to get his shooting technique under control and, when presented with a great tactical opportunity put three rounds into a fairly small target under less than ideal conditions.

Stress inoculation training scenarios are a very valid way to overcome that.

Last edited:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I have certain criteria I have always placed on carry or self-defense firearms.

First and foremost are that the weapon and it's ammo are reliable. Caliber, capacity, accuracy and penetration are secondary considerations. If the weapon and ammo are not reliable, none of the secondary will matter in time of need.

I have preached shot placement matters for years. The caliber or round count are secondary and really aren't important if shot placement aren't observed and adhered to.
    Tru dat brother mine looks a little beat up but all my internals are in perfect running order. I had it gutted by hank Fleming before he retired
    Ammo wwb 230 hardball

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I believe that after 70 pages of reasons and you're still not convinced, enjoy your plastic fantastic. You'll never be convinced.

I own a few plastic guns, but I never, ever called them a work of art. The 1911 is a work of art and artistry.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Yeah, I have read it. A bunch of times, the story goes back to 2013 or so. This is my favorite part of it…
    “Then I told myself, ‘Hey, I need to slow down and aim better.’”

When the suspect bent down to peer under the car, Gramins carefully established a sight picture and squeezed off three controlled bursts in rapid succession.

Each round slammed into the suspect’s head – one through each side of his mouth and one through the top of his skull into his brain. At long last, the would-be cop-killer crumpled to the pavement.”

Here’s an account from a guy that worked for me from 2010-2013 and led to comprehensive change to how our career field implemented approached gunfighting.

ToddnJoyce,

Thank you for that article. I knew of several of our TAC-P/Combat Controller heroes, the most famous probably being TSgt John Chapman, but I had not heard of TSgt Travis Crosby. Thank you for sharing!

A lot of folks make fun of the USAF, as we are not really a group of gunfighters. I admit I received poor firearms training while in uniform, and it wasn't until I sought training as a civilian at Gunsite that I really began my journey of gunfighting skills.

Nothing but admiration and respect for our USAF SOF folks, including SERE trainers, Combat Controllers, and ParaRescue Airmen. God Bless you all!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom