DK Firearms

I'm outta here, it's been a good run but life is short and I need a change!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JayeMechanico

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Buda, TX
    I moved to the hill country way back in 2001. I've lived and worked everywhere from San Antonio to Georgetown, spent most of my time living in the Austin proper. Born and raised in El Paso, I came to central Texas to get away from the big city. I love the hill country and the greenbelts, Lake Travis, Canyon Lake, the Guadalupe and Colorado rivers. I'm an outdoorsman and this is what I've called home for twenty three years, hiking, biking, fishing, shooting, swimming, boating.
    Well the hill country is no longer the quaint, dispersed small town life that it used to be. The trails are packed, the rivers are crowded, the greenbelts are dry, the lakes are low, (the shooting ranges are still good though) I can't totally complain about the growth, it has afforded me some good jobs in my field, I bought my first home near downtown Austin back in 2010 for less than $100k and sold it in 2017 when the market was hot. Bought my second home in Buda in 2019 where I live currently, and I've enjoyed the town of Buda as it is out of the city and the town is nice.
    Central Texas has burnt me out, it's just not where I want to be anymore. San Antonio all the way to Georgetown is just one gigantic metroplex now. The luxuries and amenities are here, but the vibe is gone for me. Life is short and I need a change. So, I listed my home for sale and after a few months on the market I got a generous offer, and accepted. The sale will close the day after Easter. I'm outta here!

Rockport Texas is where I'll relocate and call home. I've signed a lease for 10 months and get my keys in about two weeks. I'm going to settle in and see how I like it before I get to making it a permanent deal. The coast has always been intriguing to me, the ocean is dangerous and beautiful. The bays are full of life and opportunity for outdoorsmen. I am a fabricator, welder and motorcycle/boat mechanic so I hope finding work will not be a huge trouble ( I can find work in Rockport, Aransas or Corpus Christi and still have a shorter commute than in Austin)
    Rockport is a small town of 11,000 population. I'm a single man in my early 40's never married and no kids. I hope I can fit in to the small town scene out on the coast. Something tells me that I'm going to love it out there, only time can tell. It's a big change but my head and my heart tell me I've made a good choice. 23 years later and I'm trading the Hills for the Ocean. I look forward to the fishing/hunting opportunities and the laid back coastal lifestyle.
    If any one reading this has any insight, lives in or near Rockport and can give me any pointers or some cool things to do locally I would appreciate any information I can get. I'm headed out there not knowing a soul, hoping I can make some like minded/interested friends and get to know the local scene. I've researched a bit and the Corpus Christi Gun Club looks like the place to be for a 2A enthusiast. I'll try and find sponsors and join the club.
    We won't know what ever could have been if we don't take risks to see the rewards. Get the grill hot, Redfish on the half shell is on the menu! It's been fun Austin, and Rockport here I come...

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Good for you, we are in Katy, growth is crazy. Going to the doctor the other day I couldn't believe the traffic. More than half the traffic lights you can't go through with one green light. I'm retired and don't have to drive much.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Keep us posted!
    When we moved down from WA, we were looking at coastal destinations, including Rockport and Galveston.
    Still kinda intrigued by oceanfront, although we love the Hill Country.

JayeMechanico

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Buda, TX
    I moved to Rockport in the 90s and never regretted it. I am a member at the Corpus Christi gun club and would be happy to be one of your sponsors. DM me when you get to town.
    Thanks a million V-Tach, looking forward to the move! I'll let you know when I get settled in and can make a trip out to Corpus, appreciate ya!

Top Bottom