• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    My wife wants one reallll bad (yesssss). This will be the first one we've owned. I do not want to spend more than 700 on one. I plan on getting a .22 bolt and mags for .22 shooting. Not interested in paying extra for the awesome customizations you all have done. NO handle tops please. I would prefer a 556/223 instead of just 223. Not really too concerned if it is mil spec for some or all aspects. Uhhhhh.........

uhhhhhhhh...

I guess I'll update as I think of stuff. Feel free to make fun of me for lacking knowledge for this particular rifle, but in the process, do educate. Thanks fellas!
    Target Sports

bertizzie89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    san antonio, texas
    for under 700, Id say look at the M&P sport, got mine for 599 plus tax, and spent a little more for magpul goodies! 5.56/.223, mil spec buffer tube, magpul rear flip up sight, melonite(i think thats what its called) treated barrel standard. it does not have a dust cover or foward assist. but if your not planning on shooting reloads, or digging it under sand and dirt, I dont see a big need for it. heres a picture of mine, its on the bottom, with the magpul stuff, but standard it comes with the furniture thats on the ar on top. all in all ive got about 750 ish into it with the magpul stuff.

mp151.jpg

2slow

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    beaumont
    Yeah the smith Wesson sport is a good buy for $600. That's exactly what I ws going to buy before I bought the red jacket one. Stay away from the cheap bushmaster one that is all polymer lower, it is junk.

bertizzie89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    san antonio, texas
    yea I was debating the two, but heard iffy stuff about the polymer bushmaster. this one seems solid, ive read great reviews on it. and even though its not chrome lined, it still has a pretty good life span on barrels.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Yeah the smith Wesson sport is a good buy for $600. That's exactly what I ws going to buy before I bought the red jacket one. Stay away from the cheap bushmaster one that is all polymer lower, it is junk.

Thanks for the heads up. What material is this one made out of?

oh and it has a 1/8 twist on the barrel!

They look great. Could I add a dust cover and forward assist later? What is a forward assist? Can you explain the 1/8 twist on the barrel?

Thanks guys.

bertizzie89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    san antonio, texas
    you cannot add a dust cover on the sport upper or a forward assist. the forward assist just helps the bcg go into full battery, sometimes when using dirty ammo, or reloaded ammo it wont chamber the round fully, and you push or hit the forward assist to make it go into full battery. the lower is aluminum like all there lowers on the m&p line. also the 1/8 twist if i recall correctly is mil-spec? meaning it can fire heavier grain bullets more accuratley if i remember correctly. atleast thats what i read somewhere, someone else can chime in on twist rates....

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    you cannot add a dust cover on the sport upper or a forward assist. the forward assist just helps the bcg go into full battery, sometimes when using dirty ammo, or reloaded ammo it wont chamber the round fully, and you push or hit the forward assist to make it go into full battery. the lower is aluminum like all there lowers on the m&p line. also the 1/8 twist if i recall correctly is mil-spec? meaning it can fire heavier grain bullets more accuratley if i remember correctly. atleast thats what i read somewhere, someone else can chime in on twist rates....

Ok, I understand. Thanks. What would be the second least cost AR that has a dust cover and forward assist? I plan on shooting cheap ammo. Thanks.

Fighta1337

US NAVY
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    west side of 20 Fort Worth
    If you have the time, i highly suggest building one. Its its not that hard at all and its easy on the wallet. PM me if your interested and i can point you places for cheap parts. Hope you find a good one buddy

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    for under 700, Id say look at the M&P sport, got mine for 599 plus tax, and spent a little more for magpul goodies! 5.56/.223, mil spec buffer tube, magpul rear flip up sight, melonite(i think thats what its called) treated barrel standard. it does not have a dust cover or foward assist. but if your not planning on shooting reloads, or digging it under sand and dirt, I dont see a big need for it. heres a picture of mine, its on the bottom, with the magpul stuff, but standard it comes with the furniture thats on the ar on top. all in all ive got about 750 ish into it with the magpul stuff.

View attachment 17097

+1

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    try lookin at del-ton

If you have the time, i highly suggest building one. Its its not that hard at all and its easy on the wallet. PM me if your interested and i can point you places for cheap parts. Hope you find a good one buddy

I just ran a Del-Ton ridiculosly hard. It performed well. http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/rifles/39314-going-break-budget-ar.html
    As to the time to build one, if you have never put one together before, it will take you about an hour. Its easy and cheap. The one I built had a total cost of under $600 including taxes and shipping.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    PSA, Del-ton all +1

Also, check out the DPMS Oracle.

The fact is there are lots of inexpensive ways to get into an AR. I've taken lots of brands through torture tests the likes of which they've never seen before and outside of having to douse a few in oil to keep them running I only found one that completely failed. The Plum Crazy. I understand even thy have made some changes to address their initial quality issues. As a weekender or target shooter the above recomendations should suit you just fine.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Ok-I'll be the noob....what's a PSA when it comes to AR15's? I have a feeling as soon as someone tells me, it'll be an "ohhhh-I know what that is!!" moment, but ok...cmon and tell me lol

Top Bottom