• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    If you have an out of state Driver's License and you decide to obtain a Texas Driver's License you are required to surrender your out of state DL. They issue you a temporary DL until your plastic DL arrives in the mail. Can you purchase a firearm in the state of Texas using the temporary DL that Texas issues you until your plastic DL arrives in the mail?

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Yes, bought my Uzi like that. Just had to show residency with another form. I used my vehicle insurance card.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    You can purchase a firearm in Texas with a a utility bill/insurance card/etc showing Texas residency and an ID from any state.

Yes, you can purchase a firearm with the temporary paper license and the remnants of the old plastic one.

OTOH, many firearms dealers are currently afraid of their own shadows and won't accept these documents as the proof of residency that they are.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    The ATF requires that the document used to determine residency be government issed (voter's registration, DL, vehicle registration, hunting/fishing license, etc). If you're a US citizen, a utility bill, insurance card, etc won't do anything for you.

From http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473.pdf page 5, instructions for 20a and 20b
    When last I looked, my water bill was sent from my city. City = government.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The temporary TX DL works fine, I used it as well, to purchase my XD several years ago after I retired from the military...

Cheers! M2

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    NOTE: While it is perfectly legal and I bought a firearm with my temporary license because it technically is a government issued photo ID (your photo is on the piece of paper and it is wet signed by a DPS representative), it is completely up to the FFL you are dealing with. I had several that said w/o a normal Texas DL, it didn't matter what else I could provide or how legal it was, they were not going to do it.

Top Bottom