• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wllmwallace

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Denton, TX
    I have to concur with chubby, just got a P32, 100 rounds at the range yesterday and no issues, pocket clip allows it to ride nicely in jeans pocket VERY comfortably. I would however suggest the 10rnd magazine, fits "man-hands" a little better when at the range, but for everyday carry, I go with the stock 7rnd mag. I will say though, if you are going to CARRY the 7rnd mag, go SHOOT with the 7rnd mag so you can get accustomed to handling without the extra grip.
    Hurley's Gold

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Taurus. I've heard mixed things about them. Never owned one. One of the bad things I've heard is that their customer service is atrocious should you need a repair or replacement part. May be true. May be some bad customers. I dunno. They do make what we want in the price range we're after. Ok. Their on the list.

I can tell you from firsthand experience that simply isn't true, at least anymore. I picked up my PT111 used and one of the mags wouldn't feed properly all the time because the lip was bent. I called Taurus' customer service and got a return number, sent them the mag and got a new one back in just over a week.

I have also been impressed with both pistols. I have not had any problems with either except for the aforementioned magazine issue, and both are well-built and accurate handguns. For the price I think they are an exceptional deal, and if it weren't for price and the lack of availability of .380 ammo I would add a PT738 TCP to the collection in a heartbeat. I love that pistol but I've owned a .380 before (a Kel Tec P3AT, which I didn't like) and know how hard it is to find ammo of that caliber.

Taurus may have had quality and customer service issues a while back, but that isn't the case anymore. I was very impressed with their response to my problem, and it doesn't matter if you are the original owner or the fifth. I easily recommend them for anyone looking for a good, inexpensive firearm.

Cheers! M2

TXCleaver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Austin
    I had a Kahr CW-9, which is a good budget concealed carry gun. It's got a very slim profile, and the quality is better than the price. I eventually sold it because I hated shooting the thing, and didn't want to carry a gun that I just didn't like shooting.

Personally, I'm leery about any manufacturer that I've heard bad things about (read: budget companies.) When the difference between those and a "good" maker is only a couple hundred bucks, that seems pennywise and pound foolish.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    You might look at a Smith and Wesson Sigma. I hear the triggers are heavy and rough, but they go bang.

My dad has a Ruger p-series (p89 i think). Always was reliable.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    We're thinking of going with .32 (I've always wanted a .32), .380, 9mm (9x19) or .40. Maybe 10mm. Shot a Glock 10mm. Liked it. Shot a .40 and liked that too. My .380 experience is with a Davis, FIE and Lorcin. That being, we won't be buying a Davis, FIE or Lorcin.

If you are really cost conscious (and shoot a lot, I do) look at price of ammo. I'd take 10mm off the list. That is, unless you reload. 380 is still hard to come by.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I am a firm believer in the "you get what you pay for" rule. For CC I'd recommend an SW99. I own one with night sights. Slim, accurate, hi-cap, german(walther) reliability w/ S&W warranty. They also feature different backstraps so you can customize the grip fit to your hand. Although I feel it was engineered for 9x19 bullets, it is also available in 40 or 45.This is a highly under-rated gun and shoots very naturally at the POA when you get used to the trigger. The only 380s I have ever liked are the walther PPK and beretta 84 series. I think a 32 would just piss someone off more if you shoot em' with it.

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    Of those listed I would look hard at the Bersas. I own them and they are fine guns.
    Rugers are fine guns too, but I don't like the material they use in the frames. It is a fiberglass substance of some kind and not a polymer like, XD, Glock, Walther, SW etc. It slips way to much in my hands.
    The Bersa 9mm UC Pro is a great gun and I currently own the Bersa Thunder Hi Capacity Pro.
    Bersa Thunder HC 9mmPro
    9-thunder-HC-duo.jpg
    and the Bersa Thunder UC 9 Pro
    45-thunder-uc-pro-duo.jpg

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    You want thin, light, and easy to conceal: look at the kahr CW series. They are great values for the money. I like mine well enough to be shoping for a second one.

GTRich94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    u
    Add another to the list
    The Stoeger Cougars in 9 or 40. Great guns and they are fairly inexpensive. Although they maybe a little heavy for CC.

GJW1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Central Texas
    I am a 1911 guy my DW CBOB is the best (my opinion), but if you are revolver people and somewhat unfamiliar with most semiautomatics, I would recommend a Glock, Springfield XD, or a Kahr CW series. (in that order)
    All are reliable simple to use and minute of torso accurate.
    I had a very good experience with my Kahr CW45 it was accurate, reliable, and carried easily. Just could not get used to the trigger, it felt like a double action revolver. I like my 1911s better.
    I have more than a few shooting friends who are die hard Gock or XD guys, my next handgun will be a Glock just don't know witch one.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    kahr's are not bad in my opinion but then again not the cheapest, my buddy has a kahr pm9 as a carry gun and it's a pretty good shooter.

Rabies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Texas
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, 10mm ammo is the pricey lot to shoot on the list. Like the .32, it's kinda odd ball and that's what has my attention. Most likely I'll go with .380, 9mm or .40 for carry.

I didn't know .380 ammo had gotten scarce. It used to be nearly as readily available as .22lr and 12ga. I've got maybe 100 rounds of .380 fmj in a bag. They're reloads from a guy at a gun show in Louisiana. Never had a problem that was ammo related. That pos Davis and my buddy's pos Lorcin wouldn't eat anything with any consistency.

I dug around the forum here some and see quite a few people happy with Kel Tec and Kahr.

A guy I know who is fairly in the know on guns, former infantry and has some nice guns like that FN Five-seven 5.7x28 (drool), says he's shot the Hi Point 9mm carbine and was "damn impressed". So much that he's looking at getting one for fun. He likes Bersa too, as far as inexpensive guns go.

Right now I'm leaning to Kel Tec, Kahr, Bersa and Ruger. Maybe Smith and Wesson.

Thanks again.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    The HP is a by no means a carry gun but a fun and cheap range shooter.
    I have the 45acp and for what it is it is a great gun.
    A blow back design is way to bulky and heavy for carry use.
    Eats factory ammo without a problem but I'm still working out a few bugs on reloaded ammo.
    I think it has to do with my bullet seating technique- once I figure it out I'll post some info.
    For the price you can't go wrong with t for a range gun.
    Good warranty and well designed for a blow back action.
    Cleaning is easy.
    Never take it apart unless you're really skilled with gun assemblies.
    I've had mine apart and trust me on this one.
    A 1911 or any other auto shooter out there is easier to disassemble and reassemble - LOL!!!!!
    It was designed for simple cleaning - just spray it down and out with spry can gun solvent. Oil the slide and shoot.
    My carry piece is a S&W 908 compact.
    Great gun and fairly cheap used - in the $275.00 - 325.00 range.
    Light, de-coking device, 8 + 1 capacity and 10 round mags are available.
    Works well in small hands and can be fitted with a Houge slip over grip for larger hands.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Taurus 24/7 pro as previousily posted. I put 400 rounds through it at the SA meet and not even the slightest hiccup.

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    I just tried out a used Tarus 1911 I purchased recently. Amazingly accurate and rates with the Kimbers I own. The trigger is light but does have some creep. I'd recommend this one.

Also shot my wife's Ruger LCP today that has been in our arsonal for a while, but never shot. I was impressed with the accuracy at 15 yards with all being in the "X" ring. It has the Crimson Trace laser which helped I'm sure. Id highly recommend the LCP as a carry weapon.

Another carry pistol tried out today for the first time was the Ruger LCR. Kicks like a mule, can hit a watermelon at 15 yards, has an extreamly long trigger pull. It will do the job, but I won't be carrying this pistol. My least favorite of the day!

All in all, my favorite of the day was the STI GP6. I just can't say enough good about this semi auto. I'm leaning to make this my carry gun in place of the STI Off Duty 45 I carry now. The GP6 is a sweet shooter and accurate as you can get. Priced well and fairly compact.

Hope some of this helps with your decision.
    jbc

tekarra

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Of the pistols on your list, I would go with the Bersa. They are reliable and inexpensive to boot.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    9mm was/is my carry caliber of choice. With that in mind...

I looked at the Bersa Thunder's long and hard. I really like them, quality seems good, size was acceptable, but I really did not want a .380 and their 9mm guns were too large.

After that I looked at more expensive guns. Glock 26 and XD9SC. Both guns review gloriously and felt very well built and durable. Problem for me was price. As nice as they were...I could not sink $450+ into a gun at the time no mater how "awesome" it was. Size and weight were also another factor, for being "subcompact" 9mm's they felt huge in comparison to the competition. I put them on my "definitely buy...later" list.

Then I found Kel-Tec. After looking at their P11 I was intrigued but then I held one at the gun shop and was a little put off. The trigger was mule like, the slide was difficult to rack for me, and the overall fit and finish did not seem the be great. It was the only one they had so maybe it was a fluke...I just did not like it that much.
    Moving on, I discovered the PF-9. Loved the weight, the thin profile, the overall look, etc. Easy to rack back, trigger was smooth and predictable for me, and fit and finish seemed much better than the P11 I tried earlier.

In the end, I bought a used PF-9 for cheap, knowing it was somewhat defective from the previous owner. I was fine with that, given the price. Called up Kel-Tec about it, they sent me a free replacement part to fix the issue. Installed the free part, took it to the range, it ran 100%. I'm still testing it now before using it as a carry gun (only have ~250 solid rounds through it,) but given my great experience with Kel-Tec customer service and my so far good experience with the PF-9 I am confident it will be a good carry gun.

I would not look at SCCY yet due to lack of history, and there safety seems to be in the worst place possible. Many people "accidentally" flip it while shooting and the gun is useless until you realize it and flip it back. Design flaw if you ask me.

I hear a lot of good stuff about Kahr, and a little bad. Fit and finish is better than Kel-Tec I think, but their price is usually double, if not more. I would own one, but I wouldn't pay full price for one.

Top Bottom