• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Hi. I'm new to the site and am trying to take in alot of new info.

I would like to build my first AR. Google is helpful, but theres also alot of contradicting material on the web.

From what I have learned so far, I understand that Colt is a premier choice for many. I dont want to start a manufacture war but would like to know a few things from local Texas peeps. I really like the Colt 6940. If I purchase one, its not much of a build on my part, however I REALLY like the rifle. I would like to know what manufactures most people recomend when piecing together a new gun.

The main purpose of the rifle is HD, fun at the range, and general knowledge of the AR itself. I wont be in extreme conditions or firing 1000's of rounds monthly. But, I want a quality rifle that will last for years to come.

I will admit that my lack of knowledge makes it very confusing when trying to decide on uppers, lowers, etc. I see parts from STAG, BUSH, RRA, that are affordable but I hear mixed reviews about the companys in general. Again, I'm not going to war but I want something reliable. If the time comes that my life or my family's lives are in danger, I want to know I have a quality rifle that I can count on.

In order to piece together such a rifle, would I be spending the same amount as a NIB Colt 6940?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Gun Zone Deals

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You can't go wrong with buying quality the first time out, and you can't go wrong with Colt.

IMO you'd have trouble building a similar rifle for the same price. Monolithic uppers tend to be expensive. That said, monolithic uppers don't have a whole lot of added utility unless you're going to use it as a DMR with a night sight mounted in front of your scope.

Personally, I'd suggest a 6920. It's going to be a great rifle and a great base for modification. But that's just me. I like my carbine simple, and don't see a need for any more rail than it takes to mount a light and maybe a grip, which isn't much. Even then, the 6920 or 6940 is going to be overbuilt for your purposes at this moment. If you decide to take a class with a lot of shooting, the government profile barrel will have an advantage over the pencil barrel that would make more sense for your stated purposes.

I run a pistol light and a short front grip on Magpul MOE handguards. They're a whole lot lighter than any rail system, and pretty inexpensive, too.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    colt is quality hands down. if you can afford it get it. you can build a starter rifle for 500-750 with stuff you want on it but it probably wont be as high qulity as the colt. if you want something to learn on then build your own. you save a little bit of money and you learn a whole lot.

ryantx23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    North TX
    I own several AR's from different manufacturers and my Colt is probably third down on my list behind my RR and CMMG. I think I might even like my old school SP1 better then my 6920. The factory trigger that comes with the 6920 is shameful for a rifle that cost's as much as it does... But it is reliable, no FTF, double feeds or FTE of any kind yet. None of that out of my RR either and the trigger is WAY better.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the quick replys.

That chart is useful too. I like that it links straight to the manufactures website.

Time to get a game plan together...

balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    I'd say go with a Daniel Defense or Bravo Company. I'd also go mid-length on whichever you choose.

Another company to mention is one that I personally do not care for for personal reasons. They make a nice damn rifle and would go head to head on "the chart" against Colt, BCM, and Noveske. This company would be Spike's Tactical. They are a up and coming maker that has all the right specs in their builds. There are almost always coupon or discount codes floating around the internet that can help bring the cost even lower. You can go with a complete rifle or just a upper or lower.

For a HD gun, I would strongly suggest a railed handguard and a flashlight. I use a Vicking Tactics mount and Solarforce L2M flashlights with solarforce LED drop ins. They have held up extremely well through about 500rds of 223 down the tube now.

I'd also recommend a 14.5" mid-length, railed upper. Spike's has just such a upper with a pinned Flash supessor to bring the over all length to 16". Having a barrel that's as short as possible is a perk when moving through a room or even concealing it from prying eyes.

Top Bottom