• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I'm not going to lie, it's going to be a bigger effort then I anticipated but well worth it if we can get these into the hands of those who will enjoy them.

Big thanks to TXR for his insight and experience into getting something like this done. He's probably going to hate me by the time we're done for blowing up his phone. :p
    I helped the daughter of a coworker of mine sell his guns after he passed away. While I do not remember how many guns there were (knives and some accessories also) there were at least 10 or more guns and even with that few it was a big job. She could not figure why I was willing to do all the work I did for her but while it was a lot of work I enjoyed it because her dad had been a nice guy and because I just enjoyed that type of work. Good luck with the task.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Good luck with the sales, my guess is they will go fairly quickly but even sooner if you offer to ship them within the state. For instance, I might consider buying something but not when it would be over 15 hours of driving there and back home; my guess would be that will be the same for many others.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Larger photos so that detail can be seen would be a start and a brief description of the condition of each would be nice.

I agree. We can do better on future pictures and we'll see what we can do with better descriptions. Remember, you can also talk to Amanda about seeing something in person. I can't speak for her so she'll have to confirm, but perhaps she would oblige y'all with an in person inspection as well.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I agree. We can do better on future pictures and we'll see what we can do with better descriptions. Remember, you can also talk to Amanda about seeing something in person. I can't speak for her so she'll have to confirm, but perhaps she would oblige y'all with an in person inspection as well.

Well, seeing as the sales are to be FTF, inspection can be done then.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Good luck with the sales, my guess is they will go fairly quickly but even sooner if you offer to ship them within the state. For instance, I might consider buying something but not when it would be over 15 hours of driving there and back home; my guess would be that will be the same for many others.

It's not out of the realm of possibility, just not at this initial phase. We are just trying to keep it simple for her right now.

jimirwin2023

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Dallas
    I'm a gunsmith & FFL dealer in Cedar Park, just NW of Austin. My shop premises is not zoned for retail, so I can do no retail gun trading/dealing there. I get friends and customers coming in with similar story & need. Friends die and their widow needs to liquidate. Some want to do so immediately, and typically leave half or more of fair market value on the table.

Understanding what you have is a fundamental requirement for you and is a completely overwhelming challenge to any newby or novice. The Blue Book is a way to pursue this. Checking actual current listings and sales on Gun Broker helps rationalize this. These take investment of time, energy and patience, or a resource you can trust.

Then how to sell them..

1. Sell to a FFL dealer:
    Most pawn shops may be willing to give about half of wholesale value, if anything. Most gunshops will offer wholesale or maybe a bit less. These folks are in the business and deserve to make a profit.

2. Put the word out and see what happens. You've just begun this journey. I suggest you take some pictures. Full length and receiver area; both sides. Be ready and able to send these by email.
    Unfortunately, you must watch out for "gun dealers" who prey on folks in your situation. Some "collectors", too. There are rotten apples in every sort of trade.

3. GunBroker or Guns International (online auction, sort of like eBay). You sign up, go thru the site's training; provide description/pictures; fill out the online paperwork; generate listings; watch for questions from buyers; handle all the paperwork required; receive funds; pack & ship to an FFL; receive confirmation of receipt; wait thru the required 3 day return period; then (all things falling into place) consider the gun sold.

4. Gun show...used to be my best and favorite way to trade guns; now not so much.

5. Auction house
    These guys move a lot of guns. At live auctions. often with online bidding. You are at their mercy for how they choose to describe your guns, and must take whatever they can get for each gun, minus their commission and fees. You may receive pawnshop prices (or even less) for normal guns in normal condition. OTOH you may well get premium prices for particularly desirable guns (IF two or more folks do battle over getting your gun!) This takes several months to complete and get you your money. Auction houses I know are overloaded with inventory these days.

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but the fact is that the resale gun market in way overloaded with inventory these days. I.E. supply exceeds demand.

I'd be glad to talk with you more if you are close by and want to come to my (dirty) gunsmith shop.

Top Bottom