• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    I went to my moms today to visit and while I was there we started talking about my grandfather. She told me my grandmother said to give me his old service pistol. I believe he was in the korean war from what I remember him telling me. So I was wondering if anybody could tell me anything about it. By no means am I trying to sell this but I would like to know the value of it if possible. Any info would be great.

What I know or think I know about this pistol:
    It is a Beretta Military model 1934
    This is what the slide says word for word: P. Beretta-cal.9 Cortg-Mo1934-Brevettato
    Gardone V.T. 194c-XVIII

beretta007.jpg

berreta2004.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

JCallaway82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Houston
    That is a 1934 Military Beretta as you have said with the Crown (Italian proof marks) These are also found with a few others marking...one common marking is 4UT (German proof mark). You may also have an X down on the frame near the mag port?

JCallaway82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Houston
    Here is a description of the other proofs FAG and RE

http://forums.gunboards.com/archive/index.php/t-114072.html?

""FAG" on Carcanos is the abbreviation for Fabbrica d'Army Gardone and a date.. "
    The "FAG" has only been noted on Model 1934 (380) Beretta pistols with slide dates of 1939 and 1940, all are also "RE" marked.
    Which bring up another question, why would there be a FAG 39 date on a 1940 pistol? Could be they just kept using the FAG 39 stamp in 1940. But why was the Gardone Weapons Factory marking Beretta pistols in 1939 and 1940. I don't see any reason for Gardone to be rebuilding Berettas, unless they were helping them with production in 1939/40. There are a lot of other oddly marked Model 1934 pistols in 1939 and 1940 in the "FAG" pistol serial range, all the pistols in 1939/40 are not "FAG" marked.

David Franchi

Yes, FAG = Fabbrica d'armi Gardone: in 1939/40 helped to proofmark Beretta for the RE = Regio Esercito"

JCallaway82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Houston
    Depending on the model and it's desire, I have seen these go from around 300-500 on GB. But other models with certain serials and what not fetch closer to $1000. (typically German I believe, but it is still a fairly unknown gun to me, I have researched it a little)

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    it seems to be solid. Should I shoot it or have it checked first? Should I clean it? There is some rust on it. I would love to shoot it butdont want to mess anything up.

JCallaway82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Houston
    it seems to be solid. Should I shoot it or have it checked first? Should I clean it? There is some rust on it. I would love to shoot it butdont want to mess anything up.

On any "antique" gun like this..you really really need to have it checked by a qualified gunsmith before you attempt to shoot it. It may very well be in condition to shoot, but it's best to let them figure that out. If not it makes a nice centerpiece in a decorative shadow box..etc. Oh, And that nice rust (patina) only adds to the value in the long run, don't polish it off. ;)

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    Thanks for all the help. I know I could have googled it but I really like and appreciate the real person perspectives I get from the great people on TGT. From all the reading I've done it seems this may not have been his service pistol but maybe a "war trophy" he brought back. Thanks

Justin

Top Bottom