• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Here are some very preliminary shots. Once I have more time, I will go to the ranch and bring the DSLR to get some accurate photos. There is only one light on in each photo (eventual install will be 4 total units).

Starting point: existing 55W halogen http://www.amazon.com/Blazer-C8010-Tractor-Light-1-each/dp/B004L04TBQ/ (not exact same, but similar):

zyba6une.jpg

18W LED: Spot focused http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZPI0NE/:
    sasanura.jpg

18W LED: Flood focused http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FEE17X6/:
    7u6u9une.jpg

To be clear, the LEDs are two completely different styles. One is designed for wide illumination. Its reflector has many different angles and surfaces so that the light bounces off in many directions. The other light is designed to throw the beam as far as possible, and its reflector is smooth, as to focus the light and throw it one direction. It does still provide a decent amount of flood up close, but not nearly as much is the one designed completely for that purpose.

Even the newest iPhone does not handle light very well, so these photos don't show a realistic picture. The flood LED lights up significantly more area than the halogen. The spot LED throws the beam being pretty dang far.
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Got all 4 rear-facing lights mounted and installed. Well actually, 3.5. One of the Exlight spots didn't survive my waterproofing test, which was to hold the hose on it for 60 seconds (regular flow, not spray) to make sure no water gets in. Only 3 of its 6 LEDs light up now. Thank goodness for the Amazon return policy.

As I've said before, I went with two spots and two floods. I would definitely do this again. The spots are even better than the floods: they provide plenty enough light to see what's in the truck bed and surround areas, but light up a good distance behind the truck as well. The floods, obviously, just throw light everywhere, and the downside to that is it doesn't carry very far. 4 floods would be overkill.

Here's the configuration, and a shot with 3.5 lights turned on.

For $18 each, this was a significant upgrade and a very low cost. I'm quite satisfied.

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

Top Bottom