• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    My new Marlin 60 came sans swivel studs. I'd like to get some put on the wood stock but have never done that before. What do I need to do?

It's all selfish motivation really. I want to make myself a nice sling :cool:
    Lynx Defense

TexasDawg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    LaPorte
    Basically, it's like putting a wood screw into wood. Pre-drill a hole into the stock sized according to the minor diameter of the treads on the swivel studs. Then just screw the studs in. The holes drilled need to be straight or the swivel studs won't seat straight. Thats the hard part,,, and not too large or the swivels won't be strong. Alot of the time the swivel at the foreend is drilled through and is a bolt and nut affair. You can get a coupla' different styles of swivels at the local wallyworld(at least at the one here in Deerpark you can). Drilling straight holes is the catch,,, Try to find a pic of your style of gun with swivels on it already to get an ideal of correct placement of the swivels,,,

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Straight holes are the catch? Man this is going to really be a tough DIY project for me

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably run to Bass Pro this weekend and grab some.

mclarenross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you can find a friend with a drill press it makes the job a lot easier. I botched a swivel install my first 10/22 cause I used a hand drill and the swivels were very crooked and not centered in the forend or buttstock. I have an X Y table on my drill press now and it make swivel studs a snap.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    If you can find a friend with a drill press it makes the job a lot easier. I botched a swivel install my first 10/22 cause I used a hand drill and the swivels were very crooked and not centered in the forend or buttstock. I have an X Y table on my drill press now and it make swivel studs a snap.

Yeah, I'll need to find a drill press. I've yet to get one in the garage.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I always put a drop or two of wood glue into the hole and on the threads before screwing them in. Let them set for at least an hour or two or screw them in and go to making that sling. They should be well set by then.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Midway sells a jig that you attach to the stock to make sure the holes are straight and in the right place. Seems like overkill but if you've ever screwed up a stock putting holes in it, this might be the way to go. Allows you to do the job with a hand drill instead of a drill press.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    On the Marlin 60, does the wood seem a little thin on the forearm that covers the tubular magazine for drilling? I just went out to shoot some with it to get out of the house. Fun making cans go up in the air.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Thin wood is of concern. I haven't taken the stock off to get a feel but I have read other sites that some guys did get splitting when they tried to install studs.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Thin wood is of concern. I haven't taken the stock off to get a feel but I have read other sites that some guys did get splitting when they tried to install studs.

Yup. Have you thought of drilling the back one and using one of those that just loop around the rifle on the front? That would work until you figure out a way to install the swivel stud. Ah's a purdy smart feller! Eh?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I finally bought swivel studs today. Haven't even got to shoot the rifle near as much as I'd hoped. It's a little heavier for me to shoot comfortably for longer periods so I don't pack it. I"m also careful with the wood stock I don't want to ding it up.

Rereading through the mounting options on that front mount it looks like I can countersink captive nut/Tnut on the inside of the stock. So I think that's what I'll do. The short stud is longer than the fore stock is thick. So it would hit the tube magazine unless it is cut or spaced. I'll cut it, and loctite it in the nut to set.

Today I also ordered an ATI Fiberforce stock so this wood stock won't stay in for long. It already has swivel studs on it. I need to get on making slings already.

Top Bottom