• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have a guy who is an instructor and is renewing his instructor certification. He completed his online renewal and took the online test. He insists DPS has told him that he has to complete a shooting proficiency with another instructor.

Anyone of you heard of this new tidbit from DPS?
    Gun Zone Deals

big_bad_kitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Denton, TX
    There was some banter when I renewed my instructor certificate last June. I did mine online and I was told I might have to qualify in Austin with DPS. They would let me know. I have never heard anything and they never sent any kind of notice for me to qualify again anywhere. I was just glad to not have to go to Austin just to qualify! Last thing I heard was they were planning on doing the renewal class for instructors all over the state on a rotation basis. Don't guess that got off the ground either.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I think he is confused, unless DPS changed something, I just did my Instructor renewal last year, all online, no shooting....

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I think he is confused, unless DPS changed something, I just did my Instructor renewal last year, all online, no shooting....
    Instructors now only have to shoot every other renewal, and thatvis done at DPS. This guy INSISTS that he was told by DPS to find another instructor to qualify him.

Sounds like BS to me, too. However, this guy insists.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    OK, I called DPS and this is accurate. Instructor renewals where the person needs to shoot are done with another instructor. That is why the new CHL100 (you are using the new CHL100?) has a spot on it in the category of handgun for "both".

He shoots with his revolver and semi auto, scores 90% or better, and I complete the "shooting" portion of the CHL100 to provide him.

Top Bottom