Gun Zone Deals

Interested in being involved with Friends of NRA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    If you're in the Corpus area, and have wondered about getting involved with the Friends of NRA, the Field Rep is currently looking for folks interested in serving on the committee. If interested, PM me with your contact info an' I'll be happy to pass it along!
    Capitol Armory ad

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Sorry, as a fellow "Benefactor" NRA member, I don't appreciate your elitist attitude, nor do I appreciate your power to edit member's posts, nor do I approve of the way TGT bans and labels "Posts as Insulting a Member." Damn, lighten up and and let other folks on this forum have their say.

As it is, this forum has gone from detailed gun discussion to a clearing house for gun and holster sales. Sold that UZI yet?

Some of the most interesting posters on this forum have been banned: I miss them because they spoke freely and opined in depth about politics.

Time to change that Alpha-Dog Avatar of yours too. It elicits aversion from all you have to say.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Holy crap TXR, someone trying to let the common folk help with an NRA get together? This is by God a first in my lifetime! Been a member since I was an embryo and never saw this before. This will shake the good old boy network all the way back to Washington DC!

Historically, any HINT of asking for help from the NRA simply means "Open your wallet, fork it over, then sit down, shut up and don't bother us."

RE: Some of the most interesting posters on this forum have been banned: I miss them because they spoke freely and opined in depth about politics.

Shortround, I used to rush home to pull up TGT and must admit, most of the thrill is gone, now. Where the Hell is Skeeter? Sometimes, I can't deal with our current PC way of posting and go elsewhere. The Harley Davidson group is pretty lively. In the end, I guess the whiners won.

As to politics, I have NEVER had any interest in the subject and the posts in TGT sparked a fire that never happened before. I hated that crap and refused to talk about it to anyone. The good natured bantering in TGT really opened my eyes to politics as a subject of some interest. As I said, the PC/whiners barked enough to make the Mods shut that down. I guess you can't blame them. I'd get sick to death of hearing constant complaints, too.

Our group reminds me of "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest." Randel McMurphy (Jack Nicholson) was calm, serene and compliant after his lobotomy but in doing that, they killed his spirit and destroyed who he was. I'd rather be dead.

Flash

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Sorry, as a fellow "Benefactor" NRA member, ...

ben·e·fac·tor

   /ˈbɛnəˌfæktər, ˌbɛnəˈfæk-/ Show Spelled[ben-uh-fak-ter, ben-uh-fak-] Show IPA
    noun
    1. a person who confers a benefit; kindly helper.
    2. a person who makes a bequest or endowment, as to an institution.

Synonyms
    2. patron, supporter, sponsor, backer, protector.

You picked an interesting thread to stand up and pound the chest since your return. Interesting phraseology also.

For the record, I may not often agree with your opinion but I try to respect them and keep an open mind. Your uneditted post above however "elicits aversion from all you have to say", present and future.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Wow...so a thread is opened to try and allow folks in an area help their community and the first post is someone crying about something unrelated?

If you're going to thread Crap, post up something to back your comments. Yeah, NRA asks for your help because they just want you to open your wallets, Lmao....right. I volunteer my time and I've been writing checks all week....wait, no I haven't. But, I have been using my resources and contacts in an attempt to create an appreciation for an organization and the impact, a positive one, which it has on the LOCAL community.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Sorry, as a fellow "Benefactor" NRA member, I don't appreciate your elitist attitude, nor do I appreciate your power to edit member's posts, nor do I approve of the way TGT bans and labels "Posts as Insulting a Member." Damn, lighten up and and let other folks on this forum have their say.

Ummmm....I have NO mod powers - which means I can't edit a members post. If you've had your posts editted (and by the very nature of the one you made here, I can understand how that would happen) then it's because a mod did so - not me.

"Elitist attitude"? Really? Geeze - you don't approve of much around here, do you? Have you considered a long walk off a short pier?

As it is, this forum has gone from detailed gun discussion to a clearing house for gun and holster sales. Sold that UZI yet?

Nope. It's not gonna be an easy or quick sale. For folks such as yourself, it's likely a tad on the expensive side. When I decide to sell some under $100, I'll be sure to let you know.

Some of the most interesting posters on this forum have been banned: I miss them because they spoke freely and opined in depth about politics.

....and the owner of this site decided that it was detrimental to this site, and therefore banned them. I enjoyed 'em at times, but problem being that most folks had to toss in all the "buzz words" and garbage that really detracted from a reasoned debate.

Time to change that Alpha-Dog Avatar of yours too. It elicits aversion from all you have to say.

If that means you tend it ignore what I have to say.....I think you just proved the opposite, no? Besides - this was about those who WANTED to be involved in the FNRA - do you even know what it is, or what it does? You say you're a Benefactor member, eh? Really? Tell ya what - PM me your membership number, and tell me what they list as your expiration date......if you are, you can answer those simple questions.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Holy crap TXR, someone trying to let the common folk help with an NRA get together? This is by God a first in my lifetime! Been a member since I was an embryo and never saw this before. This will shake the good old boy network all the way back to Washington DC!

Flash - I dunno where you've been hiding, but FNRA has been actively seeking folks to help w/the committees since they started the program 20 years ago! To be fair, many folks - long time NRA members & supporters - aren't aware of it. It's a well-kept secret. Yet last month I sat in a meeting with other committee members from around South Texas and approved grants totalling over $423,000 for South Texas gun and LEO-related programs. These weren't the rich shooting clubs - these were the 4H clubs, Scout troops, High School and University shooting programs.

So, if you want to get involved, the opportunity is there - and is often talked about in the NRA mags - but many folks still say they knew nothing about it. Sometimes, you gotta look for the good instead of just the bad, I reckon.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    It's a well-kept secret.

That's an understatement but I absolutely commend you for trying to reverse that trend. One year, I busted my butt to get hooked up into one of the NRA events. My God, you'd think I had leprosy!

TXR, you're a Hell of a guy and I hope that your efforts will turn some things around. I'm still an NRA member and even though the organization is not perfect, I support it and will continue to do so.

Flash

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    It's a well-kept secret.

That's an understatement but I absolutely commend you for trying to reverse that trend. One year, I busted my butt to get hooked up into one of the NRA events. My God, you'd think I had leprosy!

TXR, you're a Hell of a guy and I hope that your efforts will turn some things around. I'm still an NRA member and even though the organization is not perfect, I support it and will continue to do so.

Flash

Flash, wish you were in our area. Fortunately, our committees welcomed new members without hesitation and have been very welcoming to my ideas as well.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It's a well-kept secret.

Flash

It is - but part of it is our own fault.....by that, those around us. Some committees welcome new members with open arms, others seem to feel like they have "all the help they need". It's a common fault - you develop relationships with folks, get comfortable with them, and are reluctant to allow others in. I try to make an effort to make any inquiry about joining our committee gets my full, personal attention - but those wanting to join need to make an effort as well, and be understanding about human nature. Most do - I've managed to add two new members to our committee this year that have absolutely kicked butt, and I try to remember to thank them whenever the opportunity arises.

Flash, if you want to get involved with an FNRA group in your area just get me your info and I'll get you in touch with either the local committee chair or the NRA Field Rep. She's fairly new here, and is really kickin' butt an' taking names!

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Geeze, I thought our discussion was on subject and pretty positive in trying to solve some long standing NRA issues. We took a detour a few posts back but steered it right back on course. TGT is known for detours..........snicker.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I know that you guys will do a splendid job with the NRA event and I would work with you anytime! As to the Houston bunch.....all I have is raspberries. I'll pass on that, thanks.

Flash

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Will there be parties? Benefits to go to? Black tie events? Or is it just work? Lol...

There's work involved w/being on the committee to be sure - but the rewards of knowing that the $$$ raised directly benefits shooting programs in our own back yard makes it more than worth it, IMO. We've historically had 150-200 folks at our annual benefit auction - this year, we're currently projecting that we'll have around 300-350 at our dinner Saturday. That means more folks bidding on stuff, buying raffle tickets etc. - and THAT means more $$$ raised to give away.

I got involved w/FNRA back in the mid-90's, and have found that it's time well invested for future gun enthusiasts and helping give the Law Enforcement community equipment that they might otherwise not be able to obtain, or have to pay for out of their own pockets. Each of our committee members are there for their own reasons - the bottom line is that we work towards a common goal.

If you wanna see one first hand, ours is this weekend - link below. There's also a very active committee forming up in Austin - if you want info on how to get in touch w/them, holler. That goes for anyone interested - if you want to get more info, or get involved with a local group drop me a line w/your email, phone, and location (city). I'll either match you up directly, or get you in touch with the NRA Field Rep!

http://www.friendsofnra.org/EventDetails.aspx?eid=8783&sid=45

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Wow, I read the first post and thought, "cool, I have some buddies in CC who would be interested", then I read the 2nd "post" and thought I had entered some angry version of the Twilight Zone.

Word.

Top Bottom