• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Last night about 1 AM, my dog started barking, thought she was barking at the deer, as usual. But noticed her bark was a little different, so I went to the door and knocked for her to come. When she got to the porch, she turned and started looking at the ground, ran back down the stairs and stood about the place she was looking before. So I grabbed the flashlight, my pistol and went to check it. What I found was a king snake eating a copperhead. All my years I have never seen this in action, so I woke the kids and the wife to come watch. Almost at the the end, the copperhead's tail wrapped around a small branch and knotted up, so mr.king snake couldn't get him all the way down. So I helped him out by untangling the branch and allowed him to finish dinner. After he was done, I picked the king snake up and relocated him about 100yrds from the house in the pasture, that way my dog wouldn't kill it. Thought that was pretty cool to watch.

i15ocvL.jpg
    Target Sports

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Speckled king snake eating what looks like a rat snake? 100% sure it's not a copperhead.

ETA:
    Speckled King Snake eating a Western Rat Snake. both non-venomous
    One look at that picture and the first thing I noticed... copper colored rat snake, pattern is all wrong for a copperhead.

Here is an Eastern King Snake killing a copperhead

006.jpg

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    rat snakes, and a few others, have 6-sided "saddle" patterns. Some rattlesnakes can have similar patterns as well, but with other distinguishing features.

copperheads will have a "Hershey kiss" pattern, and eastern copperheads are very similar but the tips of the "kisses" connect along their back. They can vary in color quite a bit, I have seen some almost gray.

One look at that picture and the first thing I noticed... copper colored rat snake, pattern is all wrong for a copperhead.

Here is an Eastern King Snake killing a copperhead

View attachment 148621
    141924d90700e082dfb5595ff6e12333.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    rat snakes, and a few others, have 6-sided "saddle" patterns. Some rattlesnakes can have similar patterns as well, but with other distinguishing features.

copperheads will have a "Hershey kiss" pattern, and eastern copperheads are very similar but the tips of the "kisses" connect along their back. They can vary in color quite a bit, I have seen some almost gray.
    I've seen a lot of variation in Rat snake coloring, too... just had one here a couple weeks ago that was copper colored, but definately not a copperhead. Rat snake pattern is sometimes called "chain-link"... vs the Hershey kisses on copperheads. (With or without dots)

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Copperheads have various patterns as well as colors. Some regional variations are almost dark like a cottonmouth. Some cottonmouths are lighter and can look like a copperhead.

Copperheads and cottonmouths are the same genus but different species so they are related. They can interbreed as well which may result in some of the color variations.

If you look closely at a cottonmouth’s body, you may very well see a similar pattern as a copperhead but just not as obvious as many cottonmouths are not truly “black” but have varying shades of dark color...

Top Bottom