• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Well Fellas,
    I am a sucker for old Colt revolvers, especially ones that are out of the ordinary or colorful with some history or story.
    In the 1880's Colt decided to produce what was known as a Sheriffs Model or Storekeeper revolver in a limited quantity. The very first ones produced had the old "black powder" frame. (the one with a screw to retain the cylinder pin before the advent of the push button) The smokeless frame was begun early in 1895. Records show that only about 1,000 Sheriffs Model revolvers were produced prior to 1895. The main feature of a Sheriffs Model was that the ejector housing and rod were NOT on the gun and no provision was made for one. So it was ejectorless. It was not particularly popular with pistoleros of the day but it did find a home with some law enforcement and gun-slingers of the day. No ejector or rod to hang up in a holster or belt rig. The other thing was their barrel lengths were shorter than standard. Four inch is the most commonly found example although shorter versions do exist. Old ones rarely show up anywhere and are subject to close scrutiny as fakes are found. So beware when considering plunking down some real serious cash for one. Get letters from Colt to be certain. They have records for EVERY one produced. Here is my Colt .45 Sheriffs Model.... ( one piece checkered Elephant Ivory Grips) Enjoy
    DSC_0454[1]-a.jpg
    DSC_0456[1]-a.jpg
    DSC_0457[1]-a.jpg
    DSC_0458[1]-a.jpg
    DSC_0022-a.jpg
    Letter-A-2-a.jpg
    Price guide.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0454[1]-a.jpg
      DSC_0454[1]-a.jpg
      250 KB · Views: 707
    • DSC_0456[1]-a.jpg
      DSC_0456[1]-a.jpg
      209.7 KB · Views: 735
    • DSC_0457[1]-a.jpg
      DSC_0457[1]-a.jpg
      264.4 KB · Views: 1,531
    • DSC_0458[1]-a.jpg
      DSC_0458[1]-a.jpg
      259.2 KB · Views: 803
    • DSC_0022-a.jpg
      DSC_0022-a.jpg
      121.6 KB · Views: 412
    • Letter-A-2-a.jpg
      Letter-A-2-a.jpg
      302.7 KB · Views: 430
    • Price guide.jpg
      Price guide.jpg
      189.3 KB · Views: 403

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    You would get along real well with the Texas Gun Collectors Association.
    https://tgca.org

The problem with joining TGCA is that Sponsor's Endorsement (required for new members only).

It looks like I would find the association interesting because I also collect firearms from the 1800s but since I don't know a sponsor, I guess membership would be denied to 'unknown' applicants. (probably keeps out the 'riff-raff')

I do like your collecting tastes Mad John!!!!!!!!!!

bob

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    The problem with joining TGCA is that Sponsor's Endorsement (required for new members only).

It looks like I would find the association interesting because I also collect firearms from the 1800s but since I don't know a sponsor, I guess membership would be denied to 'unknown' applicants. (probably keeps out the 'riff-raff')

bob
    I do belong to a number of specific Gun collectors associations, ie. Colt, Smith & Wesson, Remington etc. I am not from Texas but I do know sponsoring members of TGCA just never followed through with the offer. I am a consummate pack rat!

bigwheel

Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Well Fellas,
    I am a sucker for old Colt revolvers, especially ones that are out of the ordinary or colorful with some history or story.
    In the 1880's Colt decided to produce what was known as a Sheriffs Model or Storekeeper revolver in a limited quantity. The very first ones produced had the old "black powder" frame. (the one with a screw to retain the cylinder pin before the advent of the push button) The smokeless frame was begun early in 1895. Records show that only about 1,000 Sheriffs Model revolvers were produced prior to 1895. The main feature of a Sheriffs Model was that the ejector housing and rod were NOT on the gun and no provision was made for one. So it was ejectorless. It was not particularly popular with pistoleros of the day but it did find a home with some law enforcement and gun-slingers of the day. No ejector or rod to hang up in a holster or belt rig. The other thing was their barrel lengths were shorter than standard. Four inch is the most commonly found example although shorter versions do exist. Old ones rarely show up anywhere and are subject to close scrutiny as fakes are found. So beware when considering plunking down some real serious cash for one. Get letters from Colt to be certain. They have records for EVERY one produced. Here is my Colt .45 Sheriffs Model.... ( one piece checkered Elephant Ivory Grips) Enjoy View attachment 163349 View attachment 163350 View attachment 163351 View attachment 163352 View attachment 163353 View attachment 163354 View attachment 163355
    As we would say down at Graham looks like you done cut a fat hog in the ass. Good job! Did you ever decide how many heirs you are going to leave behind other than old Festus and I?

45tex

TGT Addict
    Feb 1, 2009
    Good looking gun. So amazing to see examples that stayed so clean after so many years. Have you fired it?
    What were you supposed to do to eject spent rounds, carry a twig or pry the tough ones with your knife

bigwheel

Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Maybe like one of my early HRs. You unpin the cylinder lay in the hand and use the pen to punch out the hulls. Just guessing. The technology predates 1911s. But not by much.

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    As we would say down at Graham looks like you done cut a fat hog in the ass. Good job! Did you ever decide how many heirs you are going to leave behind other than old Festus and I?

Over the years I have many adoption offers and maybe even some wishing for my demise at a chance of leaving something behind.
    I do not have any children (to my knowledge) I do have five nieces and nephews. One niece is not on my good side and is anti-gun Democrat. The other niece is my "sweetie" and the other family Conservative outcast, she will get some things. My three nephews are all in the Army and rarely if ever talk to me but I hear they are pining over what will become of Uncle John's collections. I have left family heirlooms to them and NOTHING else. Their silence and lack of concern are their reward. Many pieces are in a Trust and to be delivered as listed to various museums and close friends. Everything else remains property of my wife and she can do what she likes. I have made arrangements through a purchasing agent and Auction brokers to catalog everything else and sold collectively or accepted offers. All proceeds will be to my wife with some recommendations for monetary donations to given Associations in my name. I have the "line item" option to write in any changes as time goes by and the collection grows.
    It's the best I can do...... John

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Good looking gun. So amazing to see examples that stayed so clean after so many years. Have you fired it?
    What were you supposed to do to eject spent rounds, carry a twig or pry the tough ones with your knife
    From what understand, you can shake the cylinder and hope for the best. Some have suggested using your teeth... lol. In the case there is a small tool for removing spent cartridges and for cleaning patches.
    Yes! I have fired it, Whoever the person that ordered it certainly knew his business. The hammer pull is smooth and crisp and the trigger is exactly three pounds, no drag or creep just a crisp let-off. A fine custom ordered Colt... only ONE gun in the shipment! As per the Colt Letter.
    I just turned down a 25K offer.

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois

bob
    Hey Bob what is your particular passion in the old guns?

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I just collect whatever I see if it appeals to me. Mostly European Milsurp, old Winchesters, Remingtons, Colts, S&Ws, etc.

The oldest I have is a Colt my granny gave me 40 years ago. It is a Hartford marked model 1851.

bob

Top Bottom