• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barstoolguru

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    dallas.tx
    Domin believes a stray bullet from the range struck him. His medical bills exceeded t$200,000. As he fought for his life, he never imagined another battle was just beginning.
    Turns out the gun range did not have any liability insurance at the time of the shooting even though a state law states, the owner of a range shall purchase and maintain coverage of at least $500,000 for bodily injuries or death

(just an FYI... the range owner says he has 193,000 registered card holder that shoot there)

Investigation: Gun Range Showdown
    Capitol Armory ad

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Humm 1.2 miles away, sure a high powered rifle round can go 2-3 miles however consider when you are aiming at a target with a berm and you miss it. What angle would that barrel be at? You'd have to have the rifle at approximately 30 degrees off and that's really a bad shot. Similar to the guy that they said was shooting at obama and now charged. Suppposed shot from 1/2 mile with a 7.62 x 39 at about 900 yards hit the window and cracks bullet proof glass. Humm what a shot that guy is and supprised that it cracked the window... just sayin.

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    1.2 miles is highly plausible. I've fired on and hit targets at 2200 meters with 7.62 NATO fired from a M240g. Many if not most hunting rifles use calibers with more long range potential than .308.

This is why I would never consider owning a public range. I'd be pissed if I got hit too- mainly at the stupid individual that fired the bullet but the fact that the range owner didn't have insurance would infuriate me. Unless someone comes forward with the rifle that fired the shot they probably will never know exactly where it came from.

If Garland is ran anything like Eagle Peak is (same owner) then I'm not surprised. I've witnessed brain donors shooting at power poles at EP, reported it and didn't see anything being done about it. However, some ROs will try to crawl up your ass if you fart in the wrong direction during a cease fire. Not very consistent enforcement of their rules to say the least.

I hope this doesn't have a ripple effect on ranges state wide...

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    I have shot at a range in Garland, Eagle something or other. The thing about "registered card members" is that just to shoot at the range, even if it's only going to be once, you have to become a "registered card member"

Eagle Peak is in Cedar Park/ Jonestown. Different range same owner as Garland public shooting range.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Not too surprised, seem like they don't have many safety measures to keep muzzles down. The article says people have been shooting power lines there and they have pictures (I guess of bullet holes in the transmission towers.). Don't see where the range wins on this one.

just an FYI... the range owner says he has 193,000 registered card holder that shoot there
    Would not be bragging about membership right now if I were him, makes it look like you have a lot of business and thus money.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I didn't see if it stated if the bullet came from a rifle or pistol, i assume it must have been aa rifle if it had come from the range. Not sure why the article stated a homeowner had found "shell casings in their yard", i wanna see the gun that can throw them that far. sounds like a dangerous range.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    Hard to really know what happened, I would have to guess it's possible. I have always had some thoughts about it, living in the country and hearing gun shots fairly close by, especially during deer season.

The shell casings were found by another neighbor according to the article.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    This happened a while ago, but now is going to trial. Here is what I have always found odd...maybe someone can explain it. The guy is sitting on a backhoe. The bullet has to be on a downward trajectory. At 1 mile+ it still has enough energy that when hit in the back, it penetrates skin/clothing and nicks his pancreas and tumbles up and lodges in a lung. What 22 cal (obviously not 22LR) has that kind of energy at 1760 to 2200 yards? Does like a 220 Swift/ 223 SSM have that kind of power?

Also find it conceivable that you wouldn't have insurance owning a public gun range.

Hardway

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    Pflugerville
    I went to that range a few years ago to do some skeet shooting. Everything seemed fine to me and I liked the staff a lot better than Eagle Peak in Ceadar Park. If people truly are shooting at other targets other than those posted down range then the range officers are not doing their job. I agree, some of the Cedar Park Eagle Peak RO's are a bit too agressive during a cease fire. What is burning me up is the home owners saying the range should just be shut down because it is hurting their property values. According to the report the Garland range opened in 1969 and was obviously there before any of the homes. Hello, You bought a home next to a gun range! Its like buying a house next to an airport and complaining about the noise. I am sure they will iron out the issues sooner than later.

Its sad because good ranges are getting harder to come by and we are having to drive further and further to get to them. Like I said, my experience there was good and would like to go back next time I am in the Dallas area.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It seems to be the norm now for people to move in next to something they don't like then raise hell until some BS ordinance is passed that makes it impossible to operate.

barstoolguru

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    dallas.tx
    when I was a member of the grand prairie gun club weinstalled baffles with gravel in them to stop others from shooting over the backstop to protect the adjacentneighborhoods

mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    I frequent the Garland Public Range and have never witnessed any activity that would be deemed dangerous. The RO's are polite, but I see during a cease fire where they need to be more strict. Some shooters are new to the sport and go to the range for practice, it's the duty of the RO's to keep everyone safe. If they have to be hard asses at times, I'm ok with it so as I dont take a round while changing targets. That being said, how the heck would a man +1 mile away be hit from the range, with a casing at his or his neighbors house? Not plausible at ALL. Probably some ding dong cleaning his weapon at home and accidental discharge struck this unlucky guy. I dont see how without proof of where the shot even came from the range can be liable in the first place. I 100% agree, shouldnt have moved next to a range if it would be a problem.

barstoolguru

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    dallas.tx
    RO's need to be polite but not afraid to tell someone that they are handling a gun is a safe manner. the RO is there to run the range but to help teach proper safety too

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The shell casings were found by another neighbor according to the article.
    These bullets hit my house!!!
    captsgekwe52140807225824photo04photodefault-512x369.jpg

scubastasia

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    "They are shooting up in the air at power lines. If they miss, the bullets come this way," he said.

The power lines are near the skeet range... Where can I get one of those shot guns that fires bullets???

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    You are making the assumption that since the power lines are near the skeet range, it must be shotguns they are referring to. I assume that people are taking pot shots at the lines from the rifle ranges. If the pictures they mention in the article as proof are shown, I bet they show rifle holes in the structures.

Where can I get one of those shot guns that fires bullets???

Of course if you want one of those shotguns that fire bullets, just ask. I bet someone you know has a regular shotgun and a box of slugs laying around that they can lend you and show you how to make it shoot bullets.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It seems to be the norm now for people to move in next to something they don't like then raise hell until some BS ordinance is passed that makes it impossible to operate.

Yeah, check out this gem:

Rowlett resident Ladeitra Adkins worries about property values.

"I don't think I will be able to sell it right now," Adkins said. "They should probably just be shut down. They should probably have to leave. That is the solution, I think. We should not have to leave.

Yeah, the guy who has been there since 1969 is the one who should leave. Right.

Top Bottom