ARJ Defense ad

Iraqi General Wants US Troops for Another Decade to Protect Borders From Invasion

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HIGH_PLAINS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Killeen
    US report: Iraq's security at risk without aid

Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has said Iraqi security forces are able to protect the nation, and does not believe foreign forces will be needed after this year.

But Iraq's top military officer, Gen. Babaker Shawkat Zebari, last summer said U.S. troops should stay for up to another decade to help secure the country's borders from invaders.
    Texas SOT

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    I gotta go with Mic on this one, OURS!! Oh, and IBTL!!!!
    lol.gif

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The General's remarks are nothing but political cover for Al Maliki, who wants our troops out of Iraq for popular political reasons.

To preserve any balance of power between Iraq, Iran,and Egypt, we will have to contribute a substantial constabulary force just like we did in Japan, Germany, France, and Indo-China.

We have no good choices, but if Iraq and Egypt collapse, we will have serious problems here at home.

Afghanistan is but a distraction, as it has always been for centuries.

Obama wanted us to pull out of Iraq, and invest our military power in Afghanistan.

Big mistake. False center of gravity.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I was calling this while I was still over there. I think this was part of the game plan all along, personally.

With the region so prone to instability (as seen in Iran's post-election protests, as seen right now in Egypt, etc) what could be better than having an air base at the heart of it all ready to go to support combat operations in the region? The U.S. NEVER leaves a place it has beaten in armed conflict. We still have bases in Germany and Japan. Why should Iraq be any different?

Top Bottom