DK Firearms

Is A Place to Shoot a good place to shoot??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Have not shot at too many of the ranges here in SA and was wondering about A Place to Shoot. Looking for a place that is good for me and 2-3 of my kiddos, mostly pistol shooting. Any suggestions?
    Venture Surplus ad

81aggie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've shot there quite a bit although haven't been in a few months. It's not a fancy place but it's good for my needs. I enjoy going to the pistol range and taking my 12 year old son along, and I've seen families there quite often. Pistol range has individual shooting lanes with walled booths so flying brass from your neighbor is not a big problem. The targets are on a manual gravity type cable system so you can change/retrieve/adjust target distances without having to wait for or call a cease-fire. Unless the rates have gone up, it's $10 per shooter for all day and I've never had to wait for a lane. On the down side, there always seem to be a fair number of lanes where the cable target system is not working properly and the grated floor allows brass to fall through so if you are a reloader not much spent brass can be recovered. Never been there when it's real crowded, does get busy during deer season but most folks then are on the rifle ranges, which look pretty nice although I've not yet used them. They also have trap, skeet and country double ranges if you're a shotgunner. It's about a 30 mile drive for me but I'm willing to make the trip to shoot at an uncrowded place and I've found the guys in the shop to be pretty friendly.

jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I live closer to the bullethole and have shot there plenty. I have an 18 yr old daughter and 16 and 9 yr old sons that really enjoy shooting. For her 18th birthday, all she wanted was her very own Yugo SKS! Have NOT yet been to a Texas Tactical match, almost went out to Cedar Ridge last weekend to take a peek, I need to get an eligible gun as of now I only have pistols in 32 380 and 9X18 makarov. Have been wanting to try the IDPA matches, they look like a lot of fun. Just need a 9mm or larger cal handgun, a few mags, holster/mag holder right??

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    Just need a 9mm or larger cal handgun, a few mags, holster/mag holder right??
    Yup, that's it, but make sure it's a "quality" holster, namely one made for the handgun you have.

There will be a carbine ( rifle ) shoot this Saturday at the Cedar Ridge range though. I won't be there though.

You should see the pics I just put up in the "rifle pic thread" of my MSAR STG-556 on page 30.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    A Place to Shoot is ghetto. I like the shotgun skeet shooting...that's about it. Pistol range leaves a lot to be desired. There are dividers which help with sound, and no range master. I suggest getting a bay at Bullet Hole instead

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    This thread in another forum that shows a picture of the pistol range at A Place to Shoot. When I go there, in the middle of the week, there usually aren't many people there. It's OK and the dividers are nice for blocking other shooters noise and flying brass but I don't think I like to take more than one novice shooter with me because the dividers make it hard to keep an eye on them. The Bullet Hole is better for keeping an eye on the kids, it's cheaper and closer to home.

Sparky

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    San Antonio, Texas
    Wouldn't they have called it "A Good Place to Shoot" if it were a good place to shoot?

Come on, don't tell me every one of didn't think the same thing!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Anyone shoot at the Bass Pro range?

A bud of mine does, with his kids. It's $10 per half hour, and by appointment only. It's open Wed-Fri 12pm-6pm, Sat 10am-5pm and Sun 10:30am-5pm; and their number is (210) 253-8800.

I would suspect you have to buy your ammo from them to shoot there, as Texas Thunder requires; but you'd have to confirm that.

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just a few updates from my buddy who shoots at Bass Pro...

First, it's $10 per person per half hour; so if I took my son, it'd be $40/hr and we usually spend an hour or two at the range!

Secondly, you can bring your own ammo (unlike Texas Thunder, which is overhyped and overpriced to begin with! It's a flat rate of $25/per person); but no reloads and they do check.

Otherwise, he said the advantages are that it is air conditioned and the hours are later in the day and on weekdays as compared to Camp Bullis where I usually go to shoot.

He also said the lanes are nice, relatively clean and the targets are on electric pulleys so you can send your target downrange and back, adjust distance, etc.

You have to have an appointment before you show up and you have to sign a waiver form once you get upstairs to the actual lanes. When you walk in you have to check your weapon with the greeter at the door and they put a trigger lock on your weapon until you check in with the range master upstairs.

I don't know if he has a CHL (I don't think so), so I am not sure if the procedures are different for someone with a license.

Cheers! M2

RRoberts

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    San Antonio
    A bay at the Bullet Hole is probably the best option. You can call and reserve them on weekdays. Weekends it's first come, first served.

Ross

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Went there yesterday. It was ok. Used a beach towel to catch brass. The cable target system is interesting but I like the way to change distance if you want. I like it better than Bracken, but you might like them better. They charge by the gun, not person. I haven't been to then bullethole in at least six years, so I really couldn't tell you much about them.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Went there yesterday. It was ok. Used a beach towel to catch brass. The cable target system is interesting but I like the way to change distance if you want. I like it better than Bracken, but you might like them better. They charge by the gun, not person. I haven't been to then bullethole in at least six years, so I really couldn't tell you much about them.

I've been told that the new owners have filled in that area with concrete and the grate is no longer there. Is that true? I've used nylon cord with loops at 7, 10 and 15yards. I hook one end to the target holder and the appropriate Loop on something on the bench so I can run the target out to a known distance.

The Bullet Hole has made a lot of physical improvements to the range over the last year. The pistol range is vastly improved with a new bench and the entire range is covered. We went out there last week while it was raining and had a good time. I like the Bullet Hole because they don't charge by the gun. Take as many as you want and stay all day and because it's the closest one to me. I go to A Place to Shoot when I shoot with my brother because his office is just a couple miles from there and we go on his lunch hour.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    The concrete grate is still there. The people were nice, though it seems the kids behind the counter was a tad young. (Seemed to me there was the dad, his 17ish son. The kid was very polite and professional, but he was the "range officer" through cameras only.

I might try the bullet hole next time. I used to go to Bracken cause its cheaper. . . . but they've had some problems. They've added a lot of rules and such. . . I don't want to go if I don't have to.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I used to go to A Place to Shoot years ago. It was very basic, but met most folks needs. I would not describe it as "ghetto" I saw no thugs or gangbangers there when I used to go. If you live in South Bexar or Atascosa County it is closer than Bracken or Bullethole. Also for those who live on the south end of Bexar County or Atascosa, you might explore the Atascosa Rifle/Pistol Club (disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this range). Its 4 miles south of Jourdanton on Highway 16. Very basic....no rangemaster and very few times will you bump into more than 1 other shooter. It has covered benches, and 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, 400 yard lanes. The best part is that it only cost $35 per year...period. You get a key to the gate and you can shoot as much as you want. It is in the middle of nowhere, but I dont know anywhere cheaper. We take an ice chest and lunch (as there is NO place to buy anything for 5 miles) and stay for the better part of a day sometimes....

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    The concrete grate is still there. The people were nice, though it seems the kids behind the counter was a tad young. (Seemed to me there was the dad, his 17ish son. The kid was very polite and professional, but he was the "range officer" through cameras only.

I went there the other day and the metal though under the grate had been filled in and I was told that they where going to fill the whole thing in. They also said they were planning a 300yrd range.

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I prefer the Bullethole. They are a really friendly place to shoot imo. I usually go with my buddy and we bring 3 handguns and 4 AK platform weapons. They let us do pretty much whatever we want in a private bay. Plus its $10 bucks a head, a fair price.

Top Bottom