APOD Firearms

Is anyone here a private pilot or interested in becoming one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I can't afford it right now because of my D$*%&#E, but I'd love to get my pilot's license. This is something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. I've flown ultralights, but really want to fly a real plane. Anyone here a pilot, own or coop a plane, etc.?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Getting my pilots license has been something I've wanted to do since I was a kid as well. When I was a teenager I went up many times and even got to take the controls a few times just by hanging out at the little local airport and asking for rides. It's prohibitively expensive for me right now to peruse a pilots license and probably will remain that way for some time to come... The only thing more expensive than owning a boat, is owning a plane . I hear joining the civilian air patrol is a good way to get some time up in the air, however.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I got my pilot certificate about 6 or 7 years ago. Wanted to do it for years before that. I haven't flown in 4 years because it got too expensive. I will fly again though. Just have to get a medical and a flight review and of course some money. It cost me around $100 to learn to fly. Then I spent approx $3000 to learn to land. LOL Just kidding.

When I get ready to fly again, I might look into a partnership with a couple of other guys or even 3 and slice it into four pieces. That'll make flying a lot cheaper but still not cheap.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    My Roommate in college wanted to be a private pilot. He did a lot of looking in to it and found the best way to get his hours was to join the Navy. So now not only does he get to fly, but some times he gets to fly and make other things go boom

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    I started to fly back in 1976. Back then it was $35 an hr for full tank of gas and a CFI in a brand new C-152. Solo was just $20 an hr. I got checked out in 5 different fixed wing acft. My main goal in life was to fly helicopters. After calling every helo business in Houston and Off shore companies and asked them what I needed for them to hire me and it all boiled down was for insurance I had to have 3500 hrs. I was heart broken because back then there was thousands of Viet Nam pilots everywhere and no doubt the best in the world. Well crap I said I’m going to join the Army. Started out in the AH-1 then the Huey then the OH-58 then the Blackhawk and back to the 58’s. I was in heaven and I conquered my dream. There was sad moments in which I had several pilot buddies and crews shot down. Then of all things my wife died when my little girl was 12 and I got out because I didn’t want to raise her at Ft. Hood.
    If you want to fly check the Discovery flight and see if it is what you want from a small airport in your area. All you need is 40 hrs to get your ticket. Also I suggest getting a flight physical because I saw some people that can’t fly at night. Try to take all your lessons as much as possible. I have seen people just go up for two hrs a month and they always really never can go forward and always lagged behind and just gave up.
    Anyway the best of luck to you and you other guys.
    Cut off period in the Mil is 27 I believe unless you already served a tour then it is 32 for flight training.
    Robin

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I've had my license over 20 years, started late in life over 40 took about one year and $3000 at the time, its true enjoyment when you first solo with a small amount of fear. I now feel more safe in an airplane then driving on I-35. I will tell you this it's becoming a sport of the wealthy IMO cost have tripled, more regulations but a wonderful sport none the less if you can afford it.

drummingchevy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Houston
    I agree with waiting until you have the funds and time to go from start to finish. One or two flight activities a week will be more than adequate in keeping your knowledge fresh. I had some gaps in getting my rating and it ended up costing me a few extra dollars to review forgotten information.

big_bad_kitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Denton, TX
    I started in 1964 when aviation gas was $.35 per gallon. I thought they were ripping us off then as regular was $.22 to $.24 per gallon! I was dating a girl in high school and her father owned two "ragwing" planes, a Stinson Station Wagon and a side by side Taylorcraft. I got to put over 200 hours on them for changing the oil, cleaning the planes on the weekend and just doing general junk around the hanger for him. I got my ticket to solo with around 100 hours and then took my checkride when I hit around 300 hours total. Those were the cheapest and most fun hours I ever flew. I have over 8,000 total with 400 actual IFR. Commercial Instrument rated with Multi for a Beech Baron. We lived on a private strip for over 20 years and my planes were hangered out the front door in a "T-Hanger" in our front yard. No military and I had to pay for all my hours. Would not trade the experiences for anything and they are many and treasured. If you have the opportunity to get your license, do not pass it up as you will live to regret it. Get the hours and training any way you can. I also lived on the airport in college in the control tower and would service transients after hours. That was part of the deal for free rent! Also met some great people and got many free hours of dual and plane time for taking care of people at all hours. Go For It and enjoy! You will be glad you did.

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Gas is not the main expense on an airplane. Hanger fees go on whether you fly the plane or not, and the last annual inspection on my old Cessna cost $2500.00. I figured up several years ago, and I could have rented a plane for 200 hours for what it cost to own one. That being said, I would not take anything for the experiences I have had in my old plane. You have not seen the Grand Canyon until you fly over it, or the pure beauty of the earth. The trash and junkyards fade away, and you are stunned by the beauty of God's gift to humanity. Try a Texas sunset at 10,000 feet.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    quote(Try a Texas sunset at 10,000 feet. )

Or circle above a fireworks display, truly an interesting experience similiar to what O2 pilots seen in Vietnam without the wet pants..

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    Starting taking lessons in Beaumont a few years ago. I have 23 hours in my book, and a solo. Then my first child was born and we moved so I have never gotten to finish it.

Top Bottom