Target Sports

Is concealed carry allowed at the Alamo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    86lhyn.jpg

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    I do, especially since I just moved to the area and don't know who does and who doesn't allow carry in the establishments. I've developed the habit of glancing at the doors as I approach looking for signs.

Securing a firearm in a vehicle is much less complicated than it was where we used to live.

Doesn’t anyone use Texas3006dotcom?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I do, especially since I just moved to the area and don't know who does and who doesn't allow carry in the establishments. I've developed the habit of glancing at the doors as I approach looking for signs.

Securing a firearm in a vehicle is much less complicated than it was where we used to live.
    Serious questions.

Do you understand what the penalty is for a 30.06/30.07 violation is?

Do you understand who must be involved for that penalty to even become a question?

Do you understand the defenses to prosecution available to you?

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Yes. But do not forget that the data are crowd-sourced, meaning that nothing is guaranteed to be correct or exact. You still need to look for signs yourself.

True, but they are crowd corrected as well and when somebody has posted something wrong or that has changed, people post corrections as well.

No, it is not perfect, but there is no better general source for the state of Texas. It is a good place to check before you head out.
    What would the charge be?
    That would depend on whatever various laws that would come into play if carry was illegal at the Alamo - could be as minor as being trespassed.

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    I understand that it's far easier and less expensive to read the sign and not violate the terms of the law.

Plus, if someone doesn't want firearms or firearms owners on their property, that's their right. It's my right to go somewhere else if the terms aren't acceptable to me.

Serious questions.

Do you understand who must be involved for that penalty to even become a question?

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Serious questions.

I understand that it's far easier and less expensive to read the sign and not violate the terms of the law.

Plus, if someone doesn't want firearms or firearms owners on their property, that's their right. It's my right to go somewhere else if the terms aren't acceptable to me.
    My assumption here is that Todd was trying to be nice and helpful and was hinting at the penalty that could be assessed toward you in case you were found guilty of breaking TC PC §30.06. (but I could be wrong)
    Since you are new to Texas, we'll be nice and help you out.
    IF and ONLY IF you are caught being armed with a concealed handgun past a 30.06 sign on private property and if the owner chooses to press charges, you could be punished with a fine not to exceed $200. It does not go on your record, it is a fine weaker than even a parking ticket.
    OTOH, if somebody breaks into your car in the parking lot and steals your gun, now you are out several hundreds dollars and have to deal with the huge hassle of reporting the gun stolen, getting a police report and all that if you can even get a unit to the parking lot to take the statement and write a report.

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    All interesting information. Coming from a state where firearms had to be secured in vehicles I have a lockbox in my truck. I have another one in my wife's car.

I don't have any "cheap" guns so I prefer that they not be stolen no matter why I left one in my truck.

There is also the issue of people having the right to control their own property. While I think the 30:06 & 30:07 signs are kind of dumb, that's what the people owning or controlling the property want to do.

How you and Todd choose to respond to the signs is your business as is how I choose to respond to the signs.

Then there is the issue of carrying into buildings such as court houses and post offices. I know that carrying in a USPS facility is fairly serious, and would guess that carrying into court houses, schools, etc...

The bottom line is that everyone should decide what works best for them.

My assumption here is that Todd was trying to be nice and helpful and was hinting at the penalty that could be assessed toward you in case you were found guilty of breaking TC PC §30.06. (but I could be wrong)
    Since you are new to Texas, we'll be nice and help you out.
    IF and ONLY IF you are caught being armed with a concealed handgun past a 30.06 sign on private property and if the owner chooses to press charges, you could be punished with a fine not to exceed $200. It does not go on your record, it is a fine weaker than even a parking ticket.
    OTOH, if somebody breaks into your car in the parking lot and steals your gun, now you are out several hundreds dollars and have to deal with the huge hassle of reporting the gun stolen, getting a police report and all that if you can even get a unit to the parking lot to take the statement and write a report.

Reactions: BBL

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    All interesting information. Coming from a state where firearms had to be secured in vehicles I have a lockbox in my truck. I have another one in my wife's car.

I don't have any "cheap" guns so I prefer that they not be stolen no matter why I left one in my truck.

There is also the issue of people having the right to control their own property. While I think the 30:06 & 30:07 signs are kind of dumb, that's what the people owning or controlling the property want to do.

How you and Todd choose to respond to the signs is your business as is how I choose to respond to the signs.

Then there is the issue of carrying into buildings such as court houses and post offices. I know that carrying in a USPS facility is fairly serious, and would guess that carrying into court houses, schools, etc...

The bottom line is that everyone should decide what works best for them.

Do what you feel is best, but a vast of majority of those who CC pay no attention to 30.06 signage.

If a property owner asks a person to leave for any reason, it's a dumb move not to do so.

They cannot detain you nor do you have to answer any questions they may pose (i.e., "Are you carrying a weapon?").

Only a law enforcement officer can arrest a person for being in violation of 30.06/30.07.

Most likely the response to an armed individual failing to leave a property won't be the highest priority unless it happens in a small town with little other crimes being committed at the time.

Todd's response was essentially instructing this new resident of Texas to do some research before carrying. I usually recommend this DPS guide for those new to the Lone Star State and unfamiliar with our laws.

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    I usually ecommend this DPS guide for those new to the Lone Star State and unfamiliar with our laws.

A second to Max's directions to the very valuable DPS LTC-16.

The signage requirements are very specific. I have seen at least some signs that are clearly not in compliance with 06/07. I hesitate to comment to the those placing improper signage. For all I know they are intentionally posting the sign out of compliance for reasons of their own.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    For all I know they are intentionally posting the sign out of compliance for reasons of their own.
    QFT.

There are subtleties at work, here. I've seen a number of tiny, completely unenforceable 06 signs. After getting to know the folks at some of those businesses, in at least one case it became clear that they put up the sign merely to shut up some Karens who wanted their workplace to be a gun-free zone. In that case, the owner actually welcomed concealed carry.

I tend to treat non-compliant 06 signs as "Concealed Firearms Welcome!" signs.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    A second to Max's directions to the v…. For all I know they are intentionally posting the sign out of compliance for reasons of their own.
    Parry’s Pizzeria on 1604 @ I-10 is currently posting a 51% sign. Mind you, it’s taped at eye level, right next to the door. We just walked right past it, knowing it was invalid.

18114f3b1be2370812b91f43a933eb4d.jpg

I don’t say anything about this stuff and don’t pay attention to the 30.05/.06/.07 signs at all. 51% is verifiable, so you can know before you go, as is the 46.03 stuff.

I’ve been caught off guard at car dealerships that posted 46.03 signs. TADA’s legal counsel, of all people, advised member dealerships to post those signs. I’ve met some incompetent lawyers, but that one took the cake.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I've accidentally walked into a business that had a sign, since I was concealed I just went about my business.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

The Texas Legislature must be made to realize that, while having done some very positive things for Citizens & Visitors; they have allowed lobbyists to create a gigantic mess with their confusing restrictive signage; and, that all their Byzantine designs are just ignored by those with criminal intent, anyway.

What good was done ?

Why do they continually presume that honest, licensed Citizens are likely to suddenly commit violent crimes ?

As an Elder Physician on 24-hour University Hospital call in high crime neighborhoods, my .45 & I just had to depend on prosecutorial discretion. That is a terrible position for an honest Citizen to be put into.

Oh what a web (we) weave when: Our legislators confuse public safety with petulant lobbyist designs and violate our NATURAL Rights !

What can we do ? For one, vote-out every Soros DA.

Then, flood Legislators with letters telling of our ire at their oh so unnecessary & counter-productive restrictions.

leVieux

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

For several decades, I have urged Southerners to visit Texas/South Texas instead of Florida for one childhood Summer vacation trip.

I tell them that San Antonio has as much significant American History as Philadelphia, but is a much nicer city to visit. All American children should visit the Alamo at least twice.

Then there are Corpus, the Aquarium, Schlitterbahn, KIng Ranch, the RGV, the Border, Padre/PINS, South Padre Beaches, Kings’ Inn, Goliad, etc. Maybe a Mexican Bordertown.

Many say: ‘’We’ve been to Galveston but prefer Destin’’; missing my entire point.

leVieux

<>

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I had an old friend from high school come to visit, we took him to the Alamo, he'd always wanted to see it. He bought a coonskin hat. We grew up on Long Island NY and he was living in Seattle when he came to visit us in Katy.

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    The risk is extremely low, but not zero. Since Gov. Perry extended recognition to the LTC issued by my former state I've carried in Texas several times, usually at least once a year.

As I do with any state I plan to carry in, I read a lot about the laws. I followed Texas gun laws in the days when my old state had concealed carry in public and Texas didn't.

I've read with interest each update and change to the law. It pays to keep informed.

I know the difference between a blue sign, 30:0x signs, and 51% signs.

I'm a new resident, but not new to Texas.

My old state had very strict storage laws, which Texas doesn't. Which only means (to me) that it's up to me to decide how best to deal with binding signage. Since my vehicles still have the equipment that my old state required, it's pretty simple to comply with minimal risk of someone stealing my firearm.

I am not telling anyone what or how to react, just what I plan to do.

Do what you feel is best, but a vast of majority of those who CC pay no attention to 30.06 signage.

If a property owner asks a person to leave for any reason, it's a dumb move not to do so.

They cannot detain you nor do you have to answer any questions they may pose (i.e., "Are you carrying a weapon?").

Only a law enforcement officer can arrest a person for being in violation of 30.06/30.07.

Most likely the response to an armed individual failing to leave a property won't be the highest priority unless it happens in a small town with little other crimes being committed at the time.

Todd's response was essentially instructing this new resident of Texas to do some research before carrying. I usually recommend this DPS guide for those new to the Lone Star State and unfamiliar with our laws.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom