• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • megafatcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    I was loading up some 9mm luger and thought it would be a good opportunity to use up a small amount of 700x. I checked the load data pamphlet from hogdon and it gives 3.7 grains, 935 fps at 32,100 psi with my 147gr bullet.
    Just for grins I checked the Hogdon website and it lists 2.9gr, 838 fps and 3200 psi.
    25% increase in powder and +100 psi? I am now afraid of hogdon's data. Has anyone found other errors? Should I trust their other data? I went back to my red dot for this loading session until I can clear this up.
    Capitol Armory ad

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Looks like you may be getting jacketed bullet loads mixed up with lead bullet loads. My manuals show 3.7 as the max for a jacketed 147 grain bullet and 3.3 grains for the 147 lead bullet.

c_m_shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Paradise
    I generally like to check my load data with 2 or 3 sources before I try a new load. If the sources don't agree, start on the safe side.

mclarenross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep. I ran into this with my 308 loads. none of my 4 books agreed as to max charge. They varied by as much as 5 grains! One said that 42.3gr(iirc) of 4895 was max and another book I have said 47.1gr(iirc) of 4895 was max! Thats nuts!! I started and 42 and loaded to 46 grains in 0.3gr increments and never saw pressure problems so I consider that one book as very consevative(and it has shown that before). Point is always compare a couple data books and start at a safe point.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    There are two different 4895 powders. IMR (Improved Military Rifle) and H4895. Please double check to see what the data on the loading chart specified.

Flash

hard shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2009
    bertram
    Your not far off I had to tone down queit abit to shot my 308 and pistol round using varget and longshot both fine powder when you could find them. hogden charts on both were way to hot always start of why 20%
    less than recomended that is if you are shooting out of a barrel that is not 26 inches or longer chart goes off of barrel lengths of 26 inches or longer

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I haven't tried 700X in pistol rounds, got a can but hooked on that old Bull Durham, Duke's Mixture tobacco looking flaky gunpowder called "Bullseye"....7000 grains in a pound can and 5 grains in a 9mmLuger case pushing a 124gr. Jacketed bullet. Shot over a thousand total in my P-38, Kel-Tec PF-9, and PT-99 Taurus...7000 grains goes a long way when you are rollin' your own.....

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't tried 700X in pistol rounds, got a can but hooked on that old Bull Durham, Duke's Mixture tobacco looking flaky gunpowder called "Bullseye"....7000 grains in a pound can and 5 grains in a 9mmLuger case pushing a 124gr. Jacketed bullet. Shot over a thousand total in my P-38, Kel-Tec PF-9, and PT-99 Taurus...7000 grains goes a long way when you are rollin' your own.....
    bulls eye works in every handgun i own from 32 acp to 45 colt and everything in between ,a lot of folks say that bulls eye is a dirty powder .......so aren't you going to clean your gun either way or are you going to shoot "clean powders" and not have to worry about cleaning it ...
    bullseye measures good in most of the powder dispensers and is/was pretty cheap.

4 grs in a 9mm 5grs in a 45 acp and tamp a 44 magnum plum full it all works !

Top Bottom