• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtalley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Lost in BCS
    I used to keep detailed records of my reloading. I could tell you how many rounds I got out of a can of powder and all. Over the years I have let that part of my reloading ritual go. I do keep detailed info for hunting reloads and reloads I consider important like which load shoots better out of which gun.. But for plinking ammo I have my recipes written down for various bullets and weights and use them but I don't record how many I run through the press like I once did.

Am I bad for not keeping really good records?
    Military Camp

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    The only things I keep are specs on best loads for each gun, and a count on how many times I've reloaded a batch of brass. My specs are detailed with all of the bullet, powder, brass and primer info, as well as velocity and group size. I usually keep this info written on the actual test target, filed away with my other personal files. I don't consider my equipment to have a lifespan, although I'm sure it does. I've just figured I'd replace anything as I notice it wearing out, so keeping tabs on rounds loaded on individual equipment seems overkill to me.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    The question here is: is it negatively effecting the way you interact with your guns? Is it keeping you from enjoying shooting? Do you spend hours away from your family and from shooting just because you are carefullying writing down every little detail?

If it isn't causing a problem, then I wouldn't worry about it. I think most reloaders, especially accuracy ones take notes. I don't take much notes. I know weights and can tell you how many rounds I should be able to make with a pound of powder, but the powder spilled around my press can tell you that I'm not quite getting all the powder in the brass every time. : /

cougartex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    The question here is: is it negatively effecting the way you interact with your guns? Is it keeping you from enjoying shooting? Do you spend hours away from your family and from shooting just because you are carefullying writing down every little detail?

If it isn't causing a problem, then I wouldn't worry about it. I think most reloaders, especially accuracy ones take notes. I don't take much notes. I know weights and can tell you how many rounds I should be able to make with a pound of powder, but the powder spilled around my press can tell you that I'm not quite getting all the powder in the brass every time. : /

I agree.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    I load in lots of several hundred to a thousand of any given caliber. I record the brass type, how many times it's been used, bullet type and weight, powder load, and COAL listed by date of load and keep that record with the ammo. I also record this in an Excel spreadsheet so I have a permenent record. This way I can tell if brass is at its end, or if I have a problem with a given lot I can watch it in the future. Recordkeeping is part of the loading job and makes me feel better about using my reloads.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I use standard school type note books, record, date/powder/bullet/oal/number of rounds, with a rifle same only I do group measurements and note in remarks, I have books back to late 70's and same loads still work. If I have problems it will give a reference point when it started, doesn't really take long, oh yes, I know how many rounds went down the barrel.

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    I keep records beyond belief on my reloads and print them out take them to the range and put them in order and put them in binders afterwards. Maybe I'm a nut. Just looking for the best and not doing something twice untill I find the best.

Top Bottom