DK Firearms

Is it legal in Texas to pull your gun out in your vehicle...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I try not to jump to conclusions when I wasn't there, but going back and reading the original "so here's exactly how it happened story" I'm leaning towards BS. The story sounds like something I would come up with in high school in an attemp to cover my ass for doing something stupid.

Here's what I'm starting to think. All feasable to the point of exiting the parking lot. I see something like pulling up to the exit area, the guy says something you give the bird with alittle chin up action, he gets pissed and starts to possibly aproach, or maybe yell some more or something, you flash your piece with a "what now, b*tch" attitude. You drive away and realize they are getting you plates or something and get worried so story is adjusted to what may give legal protection, which is still not in favor.

I could be wrong on some details but the story is no longer believable IMO. Good luck and I hope it's a lesson learned.
    Lynx Defense

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    I've not read, besides OP, anyone mention that man walking by mistakes horn directed at him, then commences to yell at driver (OP)...

1) Why all the fuss about the middle finger?
    2) Why do some get irate about the car horn sound?
    3) Did OP aim handgun at knife yielding, running towards car guy?
    4) Why all the hate towards OP?

I feel sorry for the dead horse on this thread getting a severe beat' n

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    The middle finger. Definitely the middle finger.

10101880A~Dustin-Hoffman-Rain-Man-Posters.jpg
    Lol, sound like Rain Man

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    If I were on a jury, the middle finger crap is out the door. Some asshat blows up, **** him - he's already agitated and looking for a fight. Quite frankly, he deserves the middle finger. That being said, like most others have pointed out - it's stupid. Look where it got you this time.

Sounds like you pulled the gun out early based on what you said at the beginning. Getting your hand on it to be ready to use it is a good idea. But that leads me to a more important point in my mind. If you are going to be keeping the pistol in the car, try to find a closer place to keep it. A console between seats is best, but a holster between your seat and other seat where it can be concealed is also good. When you truly need it, you should be able to get your hand on it quick. With a seatbelt on, I imaging you'd be very slow to deploy it. I have a center console in my Tahoe. I can pop it open and have my hand on it in seconds but it's not visible to anybody outside the car.

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    UPDATE: Spoke to the detective to day, as his gf did freak out and call the cops apparently. And he said very clearly, that if the guy did run up to my car and pull a knife I was well within my means to pull my firearm to defend my well being. So to all you know-it-alls who wanted to be judge and executioner(TXivestigator), you were wrong! The video will clearly show him run up to my car and pull a knife, and I will be exonerated for defending myself. Thank you to all who sympathized and defended my action, because we were right! God bless Texas.

The Detective may have told you this, but some friendly advice for the future, don't get yourself in another situation like this. Owning and carrying a firearm is a very serious responsibility, and all possible efforts should be made to never use your weapon, avoid or diffuse a bad situation. If your life is legitimately in danger, defend yourself, but don't let what the detective told you give you the idea that you can go be mr tough guy because you have a gun.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    UPDATE: Spoke to the detective to day, as his gf did freak out and call the cops apparently. And he said very clearly, that if the guy did run up to my car and pull a knife I was well within my means to pull my firearm to defend my well being. So to all you know-it-alls who wanted to be judge and executioner(TXivestigator), you were wrong! The video will clearly show him run up to my car and pull a knife, and I will be exonerated for defending myself. Thank you to all who sympathized and defended my action, because we were right! God bless Texas.

Town it happened in and detective's name.

I am just a bold enough SOB to call and verify this.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    So based on the opinions here, if I were to flip someone the bird and they then decide to attack me, I have no right to defend myself? What kind of bullshit is that? It is just a finger... If that is enough to provoke someone, they have what's coming to them.

No offense, but maturity: your thinking here needs it. ;)

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    So based on the opinions here, if I were to flip someone the bird and they then decide to attack me, I have no right to defend myself? What kind of bullshit is that? It is just a finger... If that is enough to provoke someone, they have what's coming to them.

You still have the right to defend yourself. But if you started or aggravated the situation that caused you to defend yourself with deadly force you should probably expect to spend most of, or the rest of your life in jail. Is it worth taking a persons life and going to jail over? You never know how people will react to being told to Fruck Off, why not bite your tongue and be the bigger man?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    1. If you provoke another, with the finger or otherwise, that does not justify the other to committ assault, and if they assault you they can be prosecuted.

2. If you provoke another, you lose a claim to self defense if you assault them, regardless of who started it.

I know many of you here have a CHL. Remember what you were taught in non-violent dispute resolution training. It is part of the curriculum and taught for a reason.

And the OP never answered these questions, at least if he did I missed them:

1) do you have a CHL.

2) after you provoked the guy by flipping him off, were you stuck in traffic and unable to drive away when you decided to go for your gun, or could you have driven on?

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    1. If you provoke another, with the finger or otherwise, that does not justify the other to committ assault, and if they assault you they can be prosecuted.

2. If you provoke another, you lose a claim to self defense if you assault them, regardless of who started it.

I know many of you here have a CHL. Remember what you were taught in non-violent dispute resolution training. It is part of the curriculum and taught for a reason.

And the OP never answered these questions, at least if he did I missed them:

1) do you have a CHL.

2) after you provoked the guy by flipping him off, were you stuck in traffic and unable to drive away when you decided to go for your gun, or could you have driven on?

He answered 1 with a no. He did not however answer 2.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    The OP claims he does not have a chl... which might explain his mistake....
    thank you TxRanger for posting and sharing your experience .... we (I) got a fresher on do's and dont's for next time..

I think this horse is dead enough....:deadhorse:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm surprised that those who car carry have not checked to see what is considered self defense. I haven't gotten my CHL yet but I have looked at the laws regarding self defense to get, at minimum, a basic understanding.

Anyone thinking they can aggrivate a situation to the point of needing to use deadly force then claim self defense needs to leave the gun at home until they grow up. I'm not talking about inadvertantly pissing someone off. Honest mistakes happen. But if you are making a gesture at someone or yell something thinking they'll keep walking, you can't blame it on them when they come to whip your ass.

A GUN IS NOT A BACK UP IN CASE SOMEONE CALLS YOUR BLUFF

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jakeps
    Top Bottom