Target Sports

is it legal to carry a rifle in the trunk of my car?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfsburg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    san antonio
    i get questions at work about this all the time. i am interested in finding out if it is legal to carry a shotgun or rifle (ar, ak etc) in your vehicle. Any knowledge or insight is greatly appreciated. thanks everybody. stay safe.
    Texas SOT

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    Last time I checked you could still carry a long gun; shotgun, rifle, AR, AK, in plain sight locked and loaded as long as you are legal to own a firearm and not in the act of a crime.

This is of course in simple terms, and I am not a legal guy.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    what he said.

i usually keep them in the trunk to avoid unnecessary questions.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    There are a few exceptions. 1,000 feet of a school comes to mind and you need to legally be able to own a gun. Also, private property and where you work may not allow it.

But, for the most part, Texas is mute when it comes to carrying rifles so it doesn't even need to be in the trunk.

By the way handguns, as long as concealed, can be carried in the car as well most of the time.

Texas law also doesn't distinguish between a loaded firearm and an unloaded firearm.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    San Antonio has special legislation against loaded long arms. The law is in violation of the state's constitution. It's something I need to start fighting against again.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    San Antonio has special legislation against loaded long arms. The law is in violation of the state's constitution. It's something I need to start fighting against again.

I need to find a gun rack to fit my truck. Used to run all over SA with one in the rack, got pulled over a few times about it - when I invited the officer to cite me on it, they'd "encourage" me to put it out of sight. I'd refuse, they'd try to "lecture" me....but never cited me. The day they do, the fight WILL be on.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Welcome to the forum. There are numerous threads discussing this very issue on this forum.
    Google Texas Motorist Protection Act. All the info you need is there and here.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yes, in San Antonio it is illegal to carry a loaded long arm in your vehicle...

Sec. 21-16. - Carrying loaded rifle or shotgun. It shall be unlawful for any person, other than duly authorized peace officers, to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun on any public street within the city or in a motor vehicle while the same is being operated on any public street within the city. (Code 1959, § 26-28)​
    Cross reference— Regulation of firearms and weapons, § 21-151 et seq.​
    Argue the legality of the law all you want, but it is on the books and you can be arrest because of it.

It is legal to carry an unloaded rifle or shotgun within the city limits.

Cheers! M2

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Argue the legality of the law all you want, but it is on the books and you can be arrest because of it.

Fully understood - however, as it is an "illegal" ordinance, it's gonna play hob being enforced - which is exactly my intent. I have no issue w/being a law-abiding citizen, but I do get my back up when they try to enforce a law that shouldn't exist - and can't, according to state law.

wolfsburg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    san antonio
    thanks everybody for the warm welcome and the great info. this will help tons at work. and its kinda nice cuz iv always wanted to carry an AR with an extra mag in my trunk. ;)

wolfsburg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    san antonio
    i work for a action pawn in san antonio, im in charge of taking care of the gun counter. recently took over. aperently the last guy they had doing it was rude, arogent and unknowledgable. im just trying my best. i do however feel such a love for my new job, (been there about two months) iv loved guns for a long time but am just now realizing the "calling" to my work. love my job and the people i get to meet and help. hope to see more forum members there.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Yes, in San Antonio it is illegal to carry a loaded long arm in your vehicle...

Cheers! M2
    That ordinance is blatantly in violation of State law. Enforcing it would be costly to the city, and possibly the Officer.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    That ordinance is blatantly in violation of State law. Enforcing it would be costly to the city, and possibly the Officer.

Yeah.....like I said - got sidetracked in recent years, but need to get my ducks lined up again (attorney, etc.), and go back out and troll for someone willing to really write that citation, or attempt an arrest. Won't resist (obviously), but you can BET there'll be a helluva lawsuit. At one time, had an attorney ready pro-bono to pursue the case - gotta find another one and see what we can see.

Top Bottom