Capitol Armory ad

Is it necessary to scrape carbon from inside primer pocket?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    I have been reading up, and it seems this step is really only called for when reloading rifle ammunition, what about reloading .45ACP? does the low pressures (relative of course) of that cartridge mean that it's not a vital step?
    ARJ Defense ad

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    After a few reload you may want to just to aid in ease of primer seating.
    after a while the crud builds up and it can prevent the primer from seating all the way down and leave you with a high primer.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    OK, so on the first reload, or even the first 2 or 3, it's not a necessary step? I am preparing my first ever batch, so I want to get it right.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Carbon buid up in the primer pocket can cause high primers, but can also act as a shock absorber to absorb part of the firing pin strike energy leading to light indent misfires. I prefer to clean everytime except I have come into a large quantity of Speer RHT brass. The lead free priming compound leaves very little residue. I have not been cleaning those for the first re-load. Commercially available primers are pretty dirty, I clean after that first re-load.

GJW1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Central Texas
    With my rifle ammunition I always clean the primer pocket, but with pistols its only about every 3 reloads where I will go through and clean them. At that time I will check case length and trim if necessary.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    I've reloaded over 35k rounds of 9mm and .223 the last couple of years and haven't cleaned a single primer pocket. Never had a problem related to a dirty primer pocket either. I do not feel it is a necessary step.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Carbon buid up in the primer pocket can cause high primers, but can also act as a shock absorber to absorb part of the firing pin strike energy leading to light indent misfires. I prefer to clean everytime except I have come into a large quantity of Speer RHT brass. The lead free priming compound leaves very little residue. I have not been cleaning those for the first re-load. Commercially available primers are pretty dirty, I clean after that first re-load.

I like my reloads to go bang everytime, so I do this step after polishing / depriming. You can do it sitting in front of the TV, listening to GunTalk, or whatever. It is just part of my brass prep before putting them away until the next reloading session. May not be "necessary" but I feel better for doing it.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I have an RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep machine. After the cases come out of the tumbler I clean the primer pockets. (pistol and rifle cases). It may not be neccessary, but it makes me feel better about the repriming step.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    One of the reloading guru's (I think in NRA's American Rifleman) did some testing a few years back and proved that you don't have to clean out primer pockets.

Having said that, I usually do it anyway, just because I want to make sure that everything is done right.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Carbon build up in the primer pocket can cause high primers, but can also act as a shock absorber to absorb part of the firing pin strike energy leading to light indent misfires.

+1

I use an RCBS primer pocket cleaning brush in an electric drill. It takes all of 10 seconds to clean each primer pocket. We have an inside joke at our matches about how most folks beat themselves at the 200 yard firing line. My rounds are as perfect as I can make them and everything is double checked.

I have chambered every round manually before a match to make certain there are no tight fits. I place each round on a flat surface to check for "rockers" due to high primers and visually check each primer installation. One of our friends messed up a match stage because he had a primer in upside down and failed to catch it. Those are things that beat you in a match. You beat yourself.

As the above referenced post states, the anvil sits in the bottom of the cartridge primer cavity, the pellet material is above it and the cap covers the whole mess. When the firing pin strikes the cover, the pellet is smashed on the anvil. If you seat the anvil on crud, the strike force will be changed. What difference does it make? You never know. Are you willing to introduce an outside variable into your ammunition quality instead of spending 10 seconds to correct the problem? The uncleaned primer pocket will probably go "bang" when you want it to.......or maybe not.

My .308 match loads have been chronographed with 14 fps spread in velocity between the tested rounds. That kind of consistency doesn't come without serious attention to details. So.....do what you think is best. The performance and accuracy of your home brewed ammo is entirely in your hands.

Flash

Peter M. Eick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    I do it for rifles just because it is easy to do and a high primer is not worth the risks. I have yet to figure out how to do it for my pistol rounds on the progressive.

Top Bottom