• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    I was told by someone a couple weeks ago that it isn't good to shoot any Russian ammo through non Russian guns. I pretty much shoot only monarch through my Mosin but I have seen monarch .223 ammo too. Is it okay to shoot, or it is it pretty harsh like tula? I have an AR. Also what is they casings made out of? They're green and very smooth. Steel?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

cryption

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2014
    Houston
    The Monarch Brass is made by PPU and is high quality Ammo.

The steel ammo seems fine to me, I think it's tula, and I've shot thousands of rounds through my AR without issue. I believe it's the steel without laquer coating

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    It comes in both steel and brass cases - greenish ones are steel. I've shot lots of it with no issues. The steel cased stuff I've got is from Russia, the brass cased stuff is from Serbia.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I was told by someone a couple weeks ago that it isn't good to shoot any Russian ammo through non Russian guns. I pretty much shoot only monarch through my Mosin but I have seen monarch .223 ammo too. Is it okay to shoot, or it is it pretty harsh like tula? I have an AR. Also what is they casings made out of? They're green and very smooth. Steel?

Horrible stuff. Send it to me, postage paid, and I'll dispose of it one round at a time for you. :)

The next time someone tells you something like this, look at them funny and say "it's ammo, designed to detonate and combust in a machine designed to contain and use that power - are you shooting this in a cardboard gun?"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    Their brass stuff is GTG. I've never shot their steel stuff.
    Probably since I shoot their stuff through my Mosin, I've never even seen their brass stuff. Their green looking steel stuff in guess it is, so very smooth. Not rough like the Tula stuff.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    The Tula is awesome and it's not rough. It's steel with a polymer lubricant coating. Tula, monarch, wolf, brown bear etc. if your rifle won't shoot it, the problem is your rifle, not the ammo.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    The Tula is awesome and it's not rough. It's steel with a polymer lubricant coating. Tula, monarch, wolf, brown bear etc. if your rifle won't shoot it, the problem is your rifle, not the ammo.
    Well a study from Luckygunner.com shows that the steel ammo will shorten the life for your barrel. Or it did to theirs.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    My wife's .380 hates the stuff and so does my .45 as well as some of my .308 rifles. I haven't had much luck with the ammo so I never buy the stuff. Come to think of it, the only Monarch ammo that did work for me was the 9mm out of my Baby Eagle.

Nothing wrong with steel, just for me personally, Monarch sucked. and that was both the steel and brass. Aguilla from Academy was also crap. Out of all the stuff I've shot, including Monarch, I have never had issues with my M1A FTE until I ran that ammo through it. After 20 rounds of it was spent I threw the rest into the "oh shit" box and went back to my personal loads and Winchester / Hornady. The only 20 rounds ever to FTE out of that rifle and also the last 20 rounds if I can help it.

Last edited:

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Well a study from Luckygunner.com shows that the steel ammo will shorten the life for your barrel. Or it did to theirs.

If I am able to shoot out a barrel using some steel, I'll replace it after years of shooting thousands of rounds, getting tons of practice at the range.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    My wife's .380 hates the stuff and so does my .45 as well as some of my .308 rifles. I haven't had much luck with the ammo so I never buy the stuff. Come to think of it, the only Monarch ammo that did work for me was the 9mm out of my Baby Eagle.

Nothing wrong with steel, just for me personally, Monarch sucked. and that was both the steel and brass. Aguilla from Academy was also crap. Out of all the stuff I've shot, including Monarch, I have never had issues with my M1A FTE until I ran that ammo through it. After 20 rounds of it was spent I threw the rest into the "oh shit" box and went back to my personal loads and Winchester / Hornady. The only 20 rounds ever to FTE out of that rifle and also the last 20 rounds if I can help it.

The monarch brass is Privi Partizan, which is great ammo. You need new guns.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Sure, but with the price difference between steel and brass cased, you could afford to replace the barrel every 1500rds. AR barrels are easy to replace, too.

I personally don't care for lacquer coated ammo. It might seem slick in your hand, but it's actually got more friction than the polymer coated steel ammo. I have some guns that have no problems at all running it, tho. It's pretty much all I feed my PTR. No since wasting good brass on it since it's so violent with spent cases :laughing:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've used Monarch brass ammunition in a variety of calibers, but not .223. With no exceptions, I found Monarch brass to be good ammo. I've never used Monarch steel cased ammo.

Flash

Top Bottom